Docked Tail - Infection / Vet Recommends Amputation

Gr0u530504

Docked Tail - Infection / Vet Recommends Amputation

Post by Gr0u530504 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:52 pm

Hi all- new member but no stranger to the forum. Have been coming here often over the past few months to read opinions and input that has been so valuable!
I have a 9mo old GSP who had his tail docked when he was a few days old. A few weeks ago his tail split open and despite antibiotics and strict supervision it has not healed. Today I got the phone call that I have been dreading- the vet is out of other ideas and wants to move forward with amputation. At this stage he is hoping just the distal section of the tail will solve the underlying issue, a bone spur at the site of the original dock.
Wanting to see if anyone out there has experienced something similar or has any ideas to save the tail- would hate to put the little guy through that if it can be avoided. Also if anyone has lived through a similar operation and can share what recovery is like I would be grateful for any tips.
We are located in Washington.

Thank you!

Ttown

Re: Docked Tail - Infection / Vet Recommends Amputation

Post by Ttown » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:03 pm

The dog I have now is GSP that is 3 yrs old and I haven't had a dog since 25 years ago and thankfully never had to deal with this issue but, I hope all goes well for pup and your wallet.

Hope to hear a good outcome, Eric

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:40 am

If the bone is poking through the skin and causing a problem, then it needs to be removed. Ask your vet to spare as much tail as he can.
Don't worry about the amputation putting the dog through anything; you're kidding yourself if you think he's not going through something with the infection now. Surgery, some pain meds, done.

Sorry your little guy is in this situation. Good luck with whatever you decide.

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:43 am

Health over cosmetics every time. Dog won't care it only has a nub or no tail. If a hunting dog, the other end is what matters most.
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:39 am

I've had two Pointers tails cut off about 2in. each, because the tips were always bleeding from whipping against the brush. No problems. Just took awhile to heal, kept it wraped. PS. Never have I seen a dog point a bird with his tail....

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:29 pm

id try just debriding the existing tissue and then stitching the skin back over the bone. Granted, if its stretched too tight it may not heal properly, but there shouldnt be any reason that the bone is any longer than it was before.

Gr0u530504

Post by Gr0u530504 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:38 am

I do agree on the health over cosmetic statement. Feeling better about this seeing your comments so thank you for your replies. I have never had to put a dog through an operation in the last 15 years and that may be why this has come as such a shock to me.

Surgery is next week- will post an update then.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:11 pm

looking at the pic, your vet should be able to debride that and just trim back the bony tissue a bit and then sew the skin over it. Shouldnt need to do any more of an amputation, in my opinion.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:47 pm

dog dr wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:11 pm
looking at the pic, your vet should be able to debride that and just trim back the bony tissue a bit and then sew the skin over it. Shouldnt need to do any more of an amputation, in my opinion.
No dog in this fight, but just wanted to say thanks for hanging around and always freely sharing. It’s appreciated.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:06 pm

x2
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Gr0u530504

Post by Gr0u530504 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:24 pm

Hi all,

Surgery went well and we were able to keep some length on the tail! Looking forward to getting some hair growth back and getting back out there. Thanks again for your responses!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.