Cracked foot pad

RatDog

Cracked foot pad

Post by RatDog » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:19 pm

Ever since the beginning of the season we’ve been having foot troubles. I am pretty sure the trainer who had him didn’t do much with him and therefore his feet weren’t conditioned for the kind of miles we’ve been putting on. Pretty much everything has cleared up except this one really persistent crack on a pad on his front paw. It obviously bothers him because he’s constantly licking it and has a slight limp occasionally.

Seems like the answer would just be rest but he’s a royal pain if he doesn’t get to at least run a little. I am not going to hunt this week but I have been taking him out on my lunch break to try and find a few pheasants in the ditches around work. He’s on a check cord and we walk for about half hour-forty five minutes.

I guess my question is this; in order to get that to fully heal do I need to keep him from running at all? Should I get one of those cones to keep him from licking it? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RatDog

Re: Cracked foot pad

Post by RatDog » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:20 pm

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202010 ... 839ac9.jpg[/IMG]

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:06 am

You've been running him a lot. A couple of days off to let it heal won't kill either one of you. Any athlete knows that recovery days help overall performance.

As far as him being a pain, he needs to learn to settle so you can use this as an opportunity to start teaching him how to behave.
Maybe do something with him that keeps his mind busy, a little bit of obedience work, some deep-cleaning type grooming, or some games.

Good luck. Get well soon, Tubbs :D

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:09 am

shags wrote:You've been running him a lot. A couple of days off to let it heal won't kill either one of you. Any athlete knows that recovery days help overall performance.

As far as him being a pain, he needs to learn to settle so you can use this as an opportunity to start teaching him how to behave.
Maybe do something with him that keeps his mind busy, a little bit of obedience work, some deep-cleaning type grooming, or some games.

Good luck. Get well soon, Tubbs :D
Sounds like a plan. I haven’t busted out the wonder lead in a while. I’ll do some heel work and some recall with the check cord. Thanks!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:52 pm

Wash well, apply petroleum jelly ( thickly) , put on a sock + Elizabethan collar. You can run your dog with pad covers in the future.

https://petcentral.chewy.com/solutions- ... .%E2%80%9D
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ex28

Post by ex28 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:22 pm

I had success using TUF-FOOT spray on the dogs pads to help toughen them up. There's also Mushers Secret and its a cream that you can put on the pads to help as well.

My GSP ended up with a small cut on its pad last year and the Mushers Secret helped a lot for discomfort and keeping it clean.

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:20 pm

Thanks! I’m going to try the wash then Vaseline and put a sock on him then duct tape it. It’ll look stupid but whatever. I’ll order some of those products and give them a try.

Any recommendations for booties for hunting? Figured I’d check gun dog supply.

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:50 am

I ordered some of the Lewis vented rubber boots. We’ll see how it goes. I think the stubble, especially that cut canola which is like stalks instead of grass stems. Thing is the Hungarians are especially fond of canola and they are my favorite!

Tenderfoot

Post by Tenderfoot » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:14 am

Rat dog, how’d did the Vaseline work?