Ticks only on dog's head.

brule

Ticks only on dog's head.

Post by brule » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:03 pm

I've been using Vectra 3D with good results other then I find ticks on my Drahthaar's head. This past week, me and the wife went grouse hunting for 3 days with him and didn't find a single tick on his body, but have found around 10-12 tiny little ticks on his head. All of them being imbedded. I do the standard apply the repellent around the base of his neck and run it all the way down to the base of his tail. Just wondering if I need to put the tick repellent all the way up to the top of his head??? Is there anything else I can do to keep these things off my pup?

Max2

Re: Ticks only on dog's head.

Post by Max2 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:35 am

I am thinking the reason your dogs head is the hotspot is because thats where they are catching their ride. Pup cuts through the brush and the ticks drop on. Tick suck ! Plain and simple . That said I would ask your vet what works in your area. Ticks seem to build an imunity to certain topicals. Here where we live Nexguard is popular as is the seresto collars. I have Axe on nexguard only and find crawlers daily but they are messed up for sure .I want to get the seresto but want to wait until he his 2 plus years old. Just me. No has told me to wait for the seresto but for right now nexguard and do dilligence is working. I'm not cray about putting chemicals on and in my pup but Tick's suck ! We are loaded here as of late. It seems like they have all woken up after a quiet summer.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Ticks only on dog's head.

Post by Sharon » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:44 am

A few drops on his head wouldn't hurt ; don't let it run into his eyes. I also use Nexguard and rarely see a tick.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett