Achilles Tendon tear

sparkdog

Achilles Tendon tear

Post by sparkdog » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:33 pm

My 8 year old English Pointer has been diagnosed with a slight Achilles tendon tear, the back of his knee is swollen due to the tear. Has anyone had luck with getting there dogs leg surgically repaired ?

Steve007

Re: Achilles Tendon tear

Post by Steve007 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:51 pm

Your best bet is to take your dog to a genuine veterinarian that specializes in rehabilitation therapy. Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tears or ruptures (CCL in dogs) used to be pretty close to career ending trauma, but now if you do your stuff, a good orthopedic vet followed by a vet that specializes in rehabilitation means your odds of total recovery are very good indeed.

Do not rely upon your local vet either for diagnosis or treatment, any more than you would rely upon your general internist for genuine sports medicine relating to tendons. Do some research in your area and find a rehabilitation vet (CCRT is the certification you want) and take your dog there for an analysis. Orthopedic vets alone are frequently highly uninformed regarding rehabilitation, just as orthopedic surgeon will always send you to a rehab center afterwards. A rehab center will refer you to a competent orthopedic vet. If you do not have contacts and will make some phone calls, agility dogs -- NOT what I do -- get constantly injured with tendon problems. They will know who the best rehab vet is in your area. It is a genuine area of specialty these days.

There are a ton of dogs -- mine included-- that have recovered from tendon surgery. It has come a long way if you do your share. Find out what you're who dealing with, the recommended procedure and prognosis and don't rely on your local vet for the information.