Trimming Toe Nails?

reba

Trimming Toe Nails?

Post by reba » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:01 pm

One of my GSP seems to have always had "longish" toes nails.

I trim them about every two weeks.

Is it true, if I trim more often I can get shorten them up?

Steve007

Re: Trimming Toe Nails?

Post by Steve007 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:25 pm

It is true if you do it right. If you get close to the quick, they will recede. I do my wirehair every week (mostly). However, many people get better results with a dremel. Not what I do, but I'm sure there's plenty of information on the Internet and YouTube that you may find to be very helpful.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:37 pm

A daily walk around the block on the cement sidewalk takes care of my dog's nails. I just trim the dew nails.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

reba

Post by reba » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:20 am

Most of my dogs never need toe nail trimming because they just run them off. This GSP is different in that respect and she runs with the best of them.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:28 pm

I think it has a lot to do with how the dog is put together, the shape of the foot, and how it moves.

I used to hang with someone who is a pro show-dog handler. They like those nails short. Her dogs nails got dremeled at least once a week whether they needed it or not. You can clip the nails first, then dremel them down. A medium drum sander attachment on my dremel works great for my guys. Just keep it moving so one spot doesn't get too hot.

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:16 pm

I have had my best luck recently. I have a cordless dremmel I keep in back by the dog kennel. When we get to training grounds I do them quick. Dog is so geared up they don't fight because they know when done they get to run.
Doyle

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:51 pm

Now that is a great idea. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:05 pm

FWIW -

I have noticed that if I use the dremel and get close to the quick...it recedes...slowly over time and repeated close sandings. I think it is the heat generated which causes the quick to retreat.

RayG

reba

Post by reba » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:59 am

I have been trimming her toe nails every 7 days. The results are great!

Ever put peanut butter and your forehead to keep your dog occupied while trimming the nails?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:21 pm

Now there's an idea. :)

GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:06 pm

reba wrote:I have been trimming her toe nails every 7 days. The results are great!

Ever put peanut butter and your forehead to keep your dog occupied while trimming the nails?
This is a great idea Hahahaha. I’ve been searching for a easy way to do this and not sure if you are joking or not but either way it seems like it would work. I’ll just have one my kids put the peanut butter on their head Hahahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk