Pills

media310

Pills

Post by media310 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:06 am

I need a way to give my dog pills. She won't take them. Shes almost 10 and has outsmarted the pill pockets, cheese and peanut butter tricks. Now what?

Crush them up and add them to her food? What else can I try. Really not wanting to play pry the mouth open game anymore.

1 chewable soft
2 chewable harder
1 capsul pill

bonasa

Re: Pills

Post by bonasa » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:35 am

Hold her by the jowls, open the mouth and drop to back or throat. Hold mouth shut and blow into nose. Been there , done that with fussy dogs and half chewed broken pills on the ground when they find them dressed in cheese or PB.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:10 pm

Check the label on the chewables to see if they really need to be chewed or not. If so, I'd crush the chewables and mix with a spoonful of some kind of stinky wet dog food or cat food.

Give your dog the meds' 'camo' without anything hidden in it every day for a while. When one of my dogs needs medication, they all get a 'dose'; that is, butter, cheese, peanut butter with no actual meds in it. They gobble that stuff down. So then when I hide meds in it, the dogs aren't suspicious and aren't looking for pills.

Your vet most likely would be happy to show you how to pill your dog. But it's easy enough to grab the upper muzzle with one hand, fingers pinching the lips into the teeth so the dog opens its mouth. Quickly with the other hand place the tablet or capsule on the back of the dog's tongue ( don't try to shove it down her throat). Hold the mouth closed and puff into the dog's nose to make her swallow. IME it helps to lube the medication with some butter, otherwise they can get sticky on not go down the hatch very well.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:40 pm

See if your vet can give you a pill injector. I was given one to use on one of our cats that needed a antibiotic. Worked for the cat and works on the dog.
Otherwise grind it up in put in their food like I do with the daily dose of Dasuquin.

media310

Post by media310 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:28 pm

fishvik wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:40 pm
Otherwise grind it up in put in their food like I do with the daily dose of Dasuquin.
Thanks for this, the Dasuquin was the exact pill she isn't eating. She started eating the soft chewables from the vet. So thats a start. Great tip though.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:30 am

media310 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:28 pm
fishvik wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:40 pm
Thanks for this, the Dasuquin was the exact pill she isn't eating. She started eating the soft chewables from the vet. So thats a start. Great tip though.
My 12 yo GSP wouldn't eat the pills, even though they say they are chewable, nor would she be really interested in her food. But when i ground up the pills and and added to her food with a little water mixed in she gobbles it up. This dog is the most finiky eater I've ever owned.

Mosby

Post by Mosby » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:35 pm

Pill pockets work really well with my dogs.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:53 pm

I take shredded Cheddar cheese. Make a little pile on a paper plate. set the pill in the center. Microwave it for about 5 seconds. Just long enough to see the shreds to start melting. It will be hot. roll it around the pill. It will be oily from the liquid in the cheese. The oil amplifies the smell. let it cool in your fingers. let your dog start licking the oil off your fingers. Dog will gulp down the cheese ball when they get to it.