Weird Spot on leg.

Garrison

Weird Spot on leg.

Post by Garrison » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:22 pm

Any ideas? Scheduled to see the vet but curious.
03056613-E5C9-47DE-BA20-C39D90C74D06.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

birddogger2

Re: Weird Spot on leg.

Post by birddogger2 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:05 pm

Hard to say, but it kinda looks like it might be some sort of infection underneath the skin. Since it is on a paw,it is also possible that something thin and small got stuck up in there. Look real close, even with a magnifying glass to see if there is any kind of evidence of foreign body entry.

My son's dog had something similar on its underbelly and it got larger and ruptured, with pus and blood all over the place. It was pretty nasty for several days until it all drained out. We helped the draining along with manipulation and cleaning. It eventually healed up fine with both topical and PO antibiotics.

RayG

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:07 pm

Hard to say, but it kinda looks like it might be some sort of infection underneath the skin. Since it is on a paw,it is also possible that something thin and small got stuck up in there. Look real close, even with a magnifying glass to see if there is any kind of evidence of foreign body entry.

My son's dog had something similar on its underbelly and it got larger and ruptured, with pus and blood all over the place. It was pretty nasty for several days until it all drained out. We helped the draining along with manipulation and cleaning. It eventually healed up fine with both topical and PO antibiotics.

RayG

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:01 pm

birddogger2 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:05 pm

RayG
Thanks Ray,

Since he is so young I immediately think trauma or foreign body. Just weird how round it is, if it was something small it may have pussed up and ruptured before it was seen.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:44 pm

That looks like something a young setter of mine had - a histiocytoma. It looks and sounds nastier than it is. My vet whacked it off and that was the end of it.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:07 pm

shags wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:44 pm
That looks like something a young setter of mine had - a histiocytoma. It looks and sounds nastier than it is. My vet whacked it off and that was the end of it.
Thanks shags, I posted a pic on a FB group and someone said the same thing. Someone also said that it looks like ring worm that has been licked at too much. We shall see at the vet.
- Mark Twain-

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sat May 02, 2020 10:26 am

shags wrote:
Got the results back, Shags was correct! Histiocytoma

Thanks
Garrison
- Mark Twain-

mask

Post by mask » Sat May 02, 2020 10:52 am

Garrison how is the setter in your avatar bred?

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sat May 02, 2020 11:18 am

mask wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:52 am
Garrison how is the setter in your avatar bred?
Mask,

I purchased him from Northwoods Bird Dogs. Same as this litter, except the sire was a full brother to Grits.

Garrison
5AD0F2B7-6923-4A7F-BF57-900CA2383364.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Mark Twain-

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat May 02, 2020 12:49 pm

Garrison wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:26 am
shags wrote:
Got the results back, Shags was correct! Histiocytoma

Thanks
Garrison
Shags is always correct. We are lucky to have her here as a member. (She should write a book. :) )
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sun May 03, 2020 6:44 am

3 cheers for Shags!! We sure are lucky to have her!
That ped looks like hot cover dog breeding for the most part! Nice...

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Sun May 03, 2020 10:08 am

Garrison... that is a good looking Setter you have, also good to hear that nasty spot can be healed.
Featherfinder… What is a "hot cover dog" This grab my gun and take my dog to hunt wants to know?

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon May 04, 2020 10:16 am

Garrison wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:07 pm
shags wrote:
Thanks shags, I posted a pic on a FB group and someone said the same thing. Someone also said that it looks like ring worm that has been licked at too much. We shall see at the vet.

Something like that and don't know what it is my first stop would be the vet! There's a lot of experience on here but even if you get the rights advice it could be to late. If that was one of your kids would you ask advice on the internet first or go to a doctor? Hope no one is offended by this post, as I said there's a lot of experience on here.

Might be best to take photo's then off to the vet and get it fixed then tell us about it when it past. That does look nasty!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Mon May 04, 2020 12:31 pm

DonF,

No offense taken at all, agree with you 100%. A photo on a forum doesn’t constitute or replace a vet visit but it did arm me with some insight and questions for the vet when we went the next day.
The order of operations was exactly how you described. Call vet for an appointment, ask knowledgeable folks to get a range of ideas, visit the vet and wait a week for the pathology report to come back. Think it worked out pretty well and maybe if someone sees something similar they can learn from the experience.

Nevermind,

Thanks, I like looking at him. Coverdog trials are a format to judge foot hunting grouse dogs in the woods. They are typically held in the Northeast on grounds that hold wild grouse and woodcock. The kennel/pedigree he is from is a breeder who develops dogs for this style of competition and hunting although he no longer campaigns his personal dogs anymore, many of his litters compete in this venue as well as some horseback trials. The majority of the CH titles in the pedigree are from coverdog events, the RU-CH Prometheus is a horseback shooting dog as was CH Ridge Creek Cody, but Cody’s sire and Dam’s titles were both in coverdog trials. So the lineage all goes back to dogs that proved themselves in the woods. E.g. “Hot coverdogs”

Garrison
- Mark Twain-