Puppy Vaccinations

GnM

Puppy Vaccinations

Post by GnM » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:49 pm

Hello - so how many vaccinations does a puppy need before they turn one? The breeder I bought her from gave her the first vaccinations but I was wondering if I need to give her anymore?

Thanks,
GNM

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Puppy Vaccinations

Post by shags » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:06 am

DHPP at around 10 - 12 weeks old, then DHPP again about a month later.

Rabies at 4-6 months old. This is a one year vaccine followed by the three year vaccine ever after.

My pups also get a dose of bordetella vaccine at the time of the first rabies because we take them places where there are a lot of other dogs.

They also get a dose of lepto in there, I think in the second vacc. No bad reactions to it with my crew.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:37 am

This is a very interesting question.
Opinions and research are all over the place.
Generally, the puppy gets immunity from the mother while nursing. That gets lower as the pup gets older.
We usually give first shots at 7 weeks, boosters at 10 weeks second boosters and Rabies at 16 weeks. Some shots are given every year thereafter and Rabies every 3 years. Rabies is the only shot required by law. at least in Minn. You can not legally buy the shots in Mn. or rabies in any state Without a prescription.
You should have a competent Vet who will advise you.
There is plenty research that says we are over vaccinating our dogs and immunity builds as the dogs grow older. IMO that is very likely. But, as with all things dog it is controversial at best. Research is generally aimed to prove one side or the other, there is not enough funding and shots are a huge part of vets profit.
Not faulting the Vets but it is what it is. but, vets do not generally favor research on this. It probably don't hurt and it might help. I know some very good vets that are my friends, but they still run a business.
With what we now know, I do the vaccinations. After six years and the dog is not going to test and trials I only do Rabies every three years to satisfy the law......Cj

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:47 am

Many of us are going to 'tittering' which involves taking a blood sample and sending it to a vet school or laboratory that can titer blood samples. The titer validates if the pup has immunity and to what degree the dog is protected. It is common to find the dog is fully protected for many years without having to get added booster injections.

Those of us that titer, usually start that after the second round of puppy shots. We believe that part of the cause of cancer in dogs is caused by the ongoing attacks on their immune system with ongoing shots.

Lots of research and detail can be found by searching on line, Tittering Dogs for immunity, of something similar.

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:49 pm

I asked my vet about titer tests because I don't care for the idea of unnecessarily vaccinating my dog. She said it costs quite a bit more than just getting the vaccine but I can't remember the details. It's almost time to have that conversation again, maybe the cost of titers has come down.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:58 am

With litter's I had in the past I give a puppy shot at 6 weeks then 8 weeks and tell the owner's to get another at 12 weeks and 16 weeks. The shot at 6 weeks was started as I'd read that's when the mother's natural immunity starts wearing off. Generally what is done is a shot at 8weeks, 12 weeks and 16 weeks.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:17 pm

I currently have a 5 month old boston in the clinic that was vaccinated 4 times, by me, at appropriate intervals... Parvo positive. You just never know how well they're gonna respond to the vaccine.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:29 pm

dog dr:
What is your thinking on Titers testing. My vets do not seem to crazy about it.
A trainer breeder friend lost 21 puppies from Parvo a few years back. They had to start live virus vaccines at 3 weeks to stop it ....Cj

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:23 am

I was taught a high titer doesn’t necessarily mean protective immunity... it’s just a measure of antibodies. As far as puppies are concerned, they hopefully get some immunity from the bitch, but we don’t know when that’s gonna run out exactly, AND that immunity can interfere with the pup responding to vaccine appropriately, so that’s why we do the series of puppy shots.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:15 pm

I've had my place over 30 yrs now and had never had parvo on it till I kept a young dog for a friend. It had come out of a kennel in LaGrande, Ore at 10 mos and I guess the kennel owner told some guy's if he couldn't find a home for two of them he was putting them down. Long story short, a friend of mine got one and got it a shot just as a precaution when he picked it up. I ended up with the pup for about a year as he had a problem with the wife. He was here maybe three or four month's and got sick. Called the vet and took him in but was told to keep him in the car. They came right out when I got there and checked him out, sure enough, parvo! No idea where he got it but the way to make sure you get the puppy shot's is nurse a pup back from parvo yourself. Because I'd never had it on the place, it either lives in the ground a long time or sometime's the shot fails? About all that really did for me was boost the idea of a shot at 6 weeks and giving the second at 8 and instructing the new owner on one at 12 and 16 weeks. There are few thing's worse than nursing a pup back to health from parvo. Fluid into the chest cavity, I think it was twice a day and shot's twice a day and the first few days it seem's your nursing a pup that has already died! I had him in the couch in the living room and never saw him move at all the first three or four days! At about a week he was going out fine but watched him pass a huge amount of blood one time. Yep, call the vet. Seem's that's normal. Parvo tears down the intestine lining and that was what I saw pass. That was some years back and haven't had any problem since.

Get your puppy shot's. Watching one come back from it will break your heart!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:05 am

dog dr wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:17 pm
I currently have a 5 month old boston in the clinic that was vaccinated 4 times, by me, at appropriate intervals... Parvo positive. You just never know how well they're gonna respond to the vaccine.
I had a friend's shorthair in for several month's and it came down with parvo. About 10 mos when he dropped it off and when he picked it up it was supposed to have had it's shot's but he got an extra just in case. That was the first and only time I ever had parvo on the property, surprised me. I had always figured it had not got the first shot's and the one at about 10 mos just didn't take hold. Anyway, if you want to be sure you give your puppy shot's well, nurse back a pup with parvo yourself, it's devastating at best!