Getting Weight on old English Pointer

Quailtail

Getting Weight on old English Pointer

Post by Quailtail » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:31 am

I have 2 littermates going into their 15th year. One is fat as a mole, while the other is skin and bones. Vet checked, nothing showing in blood work showing and problems. Vet suggested mixing some canned into her feed.

I am feeding Southern States brand called Complete Sport a 24% protein and 20% fat. I have fed this for years and have been very satisfied with it. However, this dog is eating it, but apparently not enough for weight gain.

Would appreciate andy and all suggestions.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Getting Weight on old English Pointer

Post by shags » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:20 am

Is your dog eating her normal meals, or is she passing on them?
Adding canned food and warm water to kibble might make her more interested.

Do you keep the dogs in the house, or in a kennel?
If kenneled, make sure the old girl is warm enough, and not shivering away the calories she consumes.
If she's a housedog, you might try offering whatever high calorie you have around, many times a day. Tables scraps, cheese, lunch meat, cream, cookies, etc.

There used to be high calorie liquid supplements for dogs ( sorry, can't remember the names) your vet might know about them.
Lixatinic or something like that?

Good luck with your old pups :)

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:41 am

Old dogs and old people have metabolism changes as they age. Some will not maintain their weight no matter what they eat.....Cj

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:02 pm

As cjhills and Shags said.

I have an old setter who is a real challenge to keep weight on. She gets her regular food + weiners, scrambled raw eggs and any any human food she will eat. ... 35 pounds.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:55 am

Sometimes, just a switch in diets can make mealtime intriguing for your dog. That said, as already mentioned dogs (and humans) will lose their appetite later on in life.
Here is one I have to try for my pointer. She is 3, has a good appetite and eats a goodly amount of VERY high quality dog food. I am embarrassed to take her out in public - she's that thin.
So...I am going to try this.
https://www.keyingredient.com/recipes/1 ... ight-gain/

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:06 pm

what is her stool like? checked for parasites?

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:31 pm

Her stool is wonderful...if you want to call a stool wonderful. She has been wormed....again. She has be in for a visit to the Vet, etc. etc.
She is like the energizer bunny - never stops!
I am trying the Satin Balls.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:14 pm

If a dog won't hold weight, you can always increase the amount of food you give.

Some dogs don't have any fat cells. I've had sight hounds and it doesn't matter what they eat, they are always skinny.

Some dogs have a fast metabolism. it's a challenge to keep my Bracco looking good. She can look fine, go out for a run, and come in with her ribs and the bumps of her spine showing. Nothing wrong with her medically. but she never has all four feet on the ground at the same time and she burns fuel at a high rate. Not getting good gas mileage on that one.