Best Chewing Item

Taylor_B

Best Chewing Item

Post by Taylor_B » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:16 am

Hi all
Looking for recommendations for safe, long lasting chews?
Our Lab/weim can chew through practically anything in a very short period of time.
I've used antlers in the past, but I worry about her breaking teeth on them.

She gnaws through a bully stick in a matter of minutes, and we don't feed any rawhides, nylabones, cooked bones, etc due to the dangers associated with those (she'd likely chew off a hunk and I don't need an intestinal obstruction).

We've fed raw bones in the past, but my only issue with them is that I prefer she eats them outside (we have young children...don't want them finding a raw bone to play with in the house...). Our dog knows how to open the door and she always finds any opportunity to bring the raw items inside no matter how hard I try to keep her chews out.

I was considering the himalayan chews as we've never tried them, but I was wondering if anyone else has a big chewer and might be able to recommend a nice option?

She loves to chew - her teeth are awesome as a result, and it keeps her busy, but Lord knows this dog chews through all of the options I've encountered other than raw bones and antlers. If there's any other options out there, I am all ears. If it has an added nutritional benefit to it, that's a plus.

Thanks!

birds

Re: Best Chewing Item

Post by birds » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:51 am

Are cooked bones a bad deal?

Taylor_B

Post by Taylor_B » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:29 am

So cooked/boiled and smoked bones can become brittle from the cooking process. Raw bones, on the other hand, do not become brittle (they retain some flexibility) and are more easily digested (that said, dogs can still take hunks off of a raw bone as well...so anytime we feed those, we opt for the long marrow-filled soup bones that don't have knots or areas that can break off easily). And I believe the nutritional value of the bone is higher for the dog before the cooking process takes place vs. after. She LOVES a nice raw bone, but she just manages to find a way to sneak it inside, and then I'll find it hidden somewhere in the house as she likes to hide her goodies. Not the most welcome surprise to come across a meaty, raw bone tucked under a blanket on the couch haha!

All that said, our vet highly advised against cooked bones of any variety due to the risk for intestinal injury. She's eaten them before but after his warning, we opted to just forgo any cooked/baked/boiled/smoked bone! It might not be the same for every dog, though. But for as aggressive of a chewer that our girl happens to be, we just steer clear of them. I'd check with your vet on the safety of them before feeding to your pup.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:48 am

Be careful with those raw soup bones. Slab fractures. $$$. Specialty vet practice for extracting otherwise big giant healthy molars. On two dogs. Bad!

If you try non-weight bearing bones like ribs you can limit time and place to eliminate the kiddos getting into them and the dog getting impacted.

Taylor_B

Post by Taylor_B » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:49 am

shags wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:48 am
Be careful with those raw soup bones. Slab fractures. $$$. Specialty vet practice for extracting otherwise big giant healthy molars. On two dogs. Bad!

If you try non-weight bearing bones like ribs you can limit time and place to eliminate the kiddos getting into them and the dog getting impacted.
Hmm I will have to try the rib bones. Where do you typically purchase the raw rib bones?
Are we talking beef ribs?
And thanks for the note on the soup bones. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

birds

Post by birds » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:00 pm

So its OK for them to end up eating (chewing up first) entire raw rib bones? What about cooked rib bones? Sorry - I couldn't quite get the answer from your posts....

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:08 pm

You might try a meat packer or a butcher that cuts their own meat.
You still have to be careful with soft bones and enthusiastic chewers because they tend to ingest a lot of bone and it can cause impaction. The bone dries up in the bowel and gets stuck like turdy white bricks.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:04 pm

2ft strip of raw belly tripe from a cow. It can't swallow it ...it has to chew it . Takes forever with those that crunch , ..jaw breakingly tiresome ,but can't stop , because that mouth keeps getting a bit of juice ...Keeps the teeth clean too ! ..Tired dog . atb ...

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:46 am

I've found that a product called "Benebone" to be quite good.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

Nmhuntr

Post by Nmhuntr » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:08 pm

I use antlers

birds

Post by birds » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:07 am

I've wondered about antlers - I have lots of them. Any downside to them?

Warrior372

Post by Warrior372 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:08 pm

Halved antlers, Kongs and ropes are the only things that last more then 5 minutes in our house.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:54 pm

Raw whole Carrot !
It may not keep the dog chewing for a long time definitely good for their teeth ,cheap ,affordable and readily available throughout the year ...but then working and daily hard exercise will have it occupied enough to get some rest in between chewing . :wink:

mobirddog

Post by mobirddog » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:08 pm

Benebone have always been a hit with my dogs. Various sizes and flavors. US made too. Seem to hold up quite well.

moosecountry

Post by moosecountry » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:50 pm

An old leather baseball glove. She’s been gnawing on it for months and hardly shows any sign of it. She carries it around and chews on it regularly.

GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:08 pm

moosecountry wrote:An old leather baseball glove. She’s been gnawing on it for months and hardly shows any sign of it. She carries it around and chews on it regularly.
My dog goes through them fast as well and this is a great idea!!!! Thanks so much moosecountry!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk