Limber tail -> now permanent hook?

Makintrax73

Limber tail -> now permanent hook?

Post by Makintrax73 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:24 am

New pointer I purchased this spring. 1 1/2 years old. Had a beautiful point with a fairly straight tail. Took him to Montana and hunted pretty hard. No real issues. Came back to N WI for couple days rest then hunt two. First day back hunting came down with limber tail. No big deal I think my last pointer got it and it just goes away. Now two weeks later the obvious signs of limber tail have been gone over a week - but the dog now points with his tail hooked WAY to the right. Comes straight out about 1/3, and the last two thirds look like a “?” 90 degree curve or more. Looks horrible. Is it permanent? Some injury? Anything I should do?

birddogger2

Re: Limber tail -> now permanent hook?

Post by birddogger2 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:44 pm

You(or should I say your dog...) is in trouble.

You should have put the dog on anti-inflammatory meds immediately upon the onset of limber tail and kept the dog warm and quiet. It is a soft tissue injury and rest is indicated.

Might be too late, but I'd start the youngster on anti-inflammatories ASAP and consult a vet that is versed in dealing with limber tail, which is somewhat common in retrievers, I think.

In the future, if you notice limber tail in a dog... Jump all over it at the first sign.

RayG

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:46 pm

Maybe a vet visit to be checking for something like a crack or chip in the bones at the base of his tail; also check anal glands and prostate in case some thing going on there is causing discomfort.

Or try to gently stretch against the curves, and massage. I'd warm up his tail with a heating pad or something first.

Years ago a guy over on the coverdog site I think it was, had a dog that broke its tail and he splinted it with a piece of fishing rod. If you were to try a splint, talk to someone knowledgable about it so you don't wind up cutting off circulation or making rub sores.

Make sure his crate or box is plenty large so he doesn't have to curl up in there.

My dog has a pretty much "?" tail especially if he's all jacked about competing or whatever. Once he's blown off some steam, he might point with a nice mostly straight stick. I wouldn't waste money or time entering him in an AF championship stake but I can't tell you the number of times he's won weekend/AKC stakes despite the tail - I hear all the time "That's an ugly tail but he had the best race and birdwork". His nasty tail is bitter medicine but it goes down easier with the sugar of a really really nice dog otherwise.
So I still do not like his tail, but if that's the worst thing about him, I'll deal with it. I hope you can come to terms also, if your dog's problem is permanent.

Good luck, I hope it all turns out good for you.

Makintrax73

Post by Makintrax73 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:06 pm

He never appeared to be in pain. It certainly isn’t broken. I can manipulate it in any direction with no pain. I took him to a preserve today, and when he was on point the bend got more pronounced as he was on point.

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:51 am

Iv'e never seen a dog point with his tail.

Makintrax73

Post by Makintrax73 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:33 am

Update: took dog to vet I guess several weeks ago now. No broken bones, vet thought it was a soft tissue injury and suggested short term anti inflammatory, and wait and see.

The strong hook to the right has mostly resolved itself (very slowly). He is still doing some very weird things with his tail on point, sometimes he looks great, and other times he is curving it down, but not to the right like before. Best I can say is it seems to be improved.

So anyway thanks for the advice and concern.

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:37 pm

If it was my dog, I'd keep him on anti-inflammatories for a while and a couple times a day GENTLY do some stroking up and GENTLY manipulating to guide the tail in the right direction.

Might not do much good, but based on the fact that there has been some improvement, I would give it a try, if it was my dog. I don't think it can hurt.

Carprofen is fairly well tolerated by dogs over the short term. I have given my dogs enteric coated aspirin, as needed, for many years with no issues again over the short tem. There is also a relatively new drug, Previcox, which may be better tolerated than Carprofen. I dunno, ask your vet. Since it is new, it is kinda pricey though.

Good luck to you and your buddy.

RayG