Safe over the counter for small wounds

weimdogman

Safe over the counter for small wounds

Post by weimdogman » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:15 pm

Antibacterial like neosporin or just bagbalm?
Cuts are from dogs rolling in the grass play not fighting.

Garrison

Re: Safe over the counter for small wounds

Post by Garrison » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:10 pm

Some peroxide and bagbalm can fix a lot but the dogs will lick it off if they can reach it. I bring Corona ointment (packs easier and cap stays on) and clotting powder in my vest if we are going to be a long way from the truck. It has plugged up some pretty nasty lacerations until we could get back to town on several occasions. A stapler is good thing to have at the truck if you are a long ways from town. The best outdoorsman/hunter I know, a retired forest service packer always carries a small piece of neoprene and electrical tape in his pack. The neoprene is just big enough to sit on at lunch, or kneel on when glassing and it’s wet or snowy. It also has all kinds of first aid uses for man and hound.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:42 am

Vetericyn is pretty good for smaller cuts and wounds. It was recommended to me by a dog trainer.

https://www.chewy.com/vetericyn-all-ani ... irst%20Aid
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

chaynes

Post by chaynes » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:20 pm

Sugar

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:26 am

chaynes wrote:Sugar
Yep sugar or the "cream" version of a triple antibiotic topical

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:21 am

Thanks for the replies. "Sugar" got me to due a little research and I found that honey actually works better then sugar!
Both displace moisture cutting down on bacteria. Because, of the granules , sugar is slighly abrasive therefore honey works better.

reba

Post by reba » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:02 am

Never ever use peroxide on any open wound on animals or humans.

The Outdoor Leadership School will teach you that peroxide will kill flesh.

If it must be cleaned use water. Bottled would be best.

Betadine is a great skin cleanser and scrub, as used in hospitals, it will work into a rich lather with a little water. Used on humans, dogs and farm animals.

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:48 am

weimdogman wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:21 am
Thanks for the replies. "Sugar" got me to due a little research and I found that honey actually works better then sugar!
Both displace moisture cutting down on bacteria. Because, of the granules , sugar is slighly abrasive therefore honey works better.
True - But honey does not usually come in packets that you can stick in your pocket.

Sugar does and the packets are available everywhere. If the packet breaks, you turn your pocket inside out and ...done. If a honey packet breaks, you have a sticky mess.

RayG

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:07 pm

You can get saline solution a generic big bottle in the pharmacy under eye care for flushing wounds out and
Sugar packets also work well for the field honey is messy until you can get it wrapped right.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:30 am

We use Vetricyn. It's good for what ails man or beast. We've used it for skin gunk on our horse, wounds on us and the dogs, as an eyewash, etc. It comes in several different packagings, but we buy the spray because it's versatile. If you purchase, check the expiration date on the bottle. And don't allow it to freeze.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:17 pm

birddogger2 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:48 am
weimdogman wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:21 am
True - But honey does not usually come in packets that you can stick in your pocket.

Sugar does and the packets are available everywhere. If the packet breaks, you turn your pocket inside out and ...done. If a honey packet breaks, you have a sticky mess.
Get some honey stix. They will not break. Carry them for quick glucose pick up for you and your tired dog. Best antibiotic ever. Only thing there was before modern medicine. I have honey stix that have been in my gear bag for 5 years. they are tough.

RayG

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:10 pm

As far as rinsing out a cut, the best thing I know of is Bactine liquid. It is antibacterial and the formulation will not kill skin cells. I get the squirt bottle so I can direct the stream where I want into the wound. Pure water will absolutely kill skin cells(not as bad as peroxide), inhibit healing and water does nothing to prevent infection.

Saline solution works also as an irrigating solution, but it is not antibacterial. If the injury is near an eye, i would probably opt for saline solution...but anywhere else...Bactine is my choice.

RayG