Dogs and algae

weimdogman

Dogs and algae

Post by weimdogman » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:05 pm

Do dogs build up some immunity to algae?
My dogs are always drinking from ditches,ponds and creeks and nothing seems to bother them.

birddogger2

Re: Dogs and algae

Post by birddogger2 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:51 pm

Not sure, but I do not think so.

Dogs can and do drink some nasty water sometimes, but I think their immune systems are, more often than not, up to the challenge. Heck they bury a bone, dig it up a week later, eat it... maggots and all, with no problem. My guys LOVE horse apples.

I am pretty sure that what is called blue-green algae is quite toxic to dogs. I wouldn't chance that.

RayG

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:46 am

Immunity and ability to tolerate toxins are two different issues.

Your DNR and county extension offices should be able to advise you about toxic algae blooms in your area. At the least they can help you to identify the various algae, so if you spot a bad one, you can avoid the area.

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:02 am

Thanks for the replies.

I talked to a vet from my navhda group and she assured me blue green algae is toxic even in small amounts.

Now I need to try and learn to identify it?

smilinicon

Post by smilinicon » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:58 am

I recently saw a post about this. Young couple spent a happy day with their pooch and then had to put it down within hours. Can't be too careful with blue/green algae.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:02 am

I was in SD in the early 2000s when many dogs died from blue green algae. It is really scare because I do not see how we could possibly avoid it. Hot thirsty dogs drink what ever water they find......Cj

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:28 am

This appeared on my pond not far from the house where my dog has played, swam, cooled off and drank every day through the summer since he was a puppy. Those aqua colored slicks are toxic algae and brought all that to a halt this summer. I do what I can but there is no way I can pre-screen all the waters we encounter. Similar to the whole grass awns threat which I believe is largely a roll of the dice. Running dogs brings risks and I do what I can.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:41 pm

averageguy wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:28 am
This appeared on my pond not far from the house where my dog has played, swam, cooled off and drank every day through the summer since he was a puppy. Those aqua colored slicks are toxic algae and brought all that to a halt this summer. I do what I can but there is no way I can pre-screen all the waters we encounter. Similar to the whole grass awns threat which I believe is largely a roll of the dice. Running dogs brings risks and I do what I can.

Exactly.
Giardia and Leptospirosis also can make for a very ill dog. I do get the Lepto vaccine for my dogs.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Trailgunner

Post by Trailgunner » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:56 am

As Sharon and Average guy stated...blue green algae blooms can be deadly. Colorado has a uptick this summer. It killed some dog’s up north. Be responsible as possible about where the dog runs and hunts. I also use the lepto shot. My dog caught giardia a while back and it wasn’t fun. I considered the rattlesnake vaccine as well, but the vets out here do not believe they work. That’s up for discussion since I have heard the contrast as well.