Hot spots between toes

Taylor_B

Hot spots between toes

Post by Taylor_B » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:56 am

Hi gang
Looking for ideas to heal some hotspots between toes of our setter. In both cases, it seems like his nail is rubbing on the pad (nails are maintained regularly). Hes been dealing with allergies this summer so his pads are inflamed, possibly a little swelling could have initiated the rubbing. Ive been applying mushers secret, but he keeps licking it off. Hes on an antibiotic, but not sure how to help the spots heal up. Is there any bandaging option or otherwise that anyone else has used in this situation? Thanks!

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Hot spots between toes

Post by shags » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:11 pm

If it were my dog, and here it is Saturday afternoon and the vet's office is closed until Monday, I'd try some topical anti-inflammatory like cortisone cream on one of the sore spots. I'd stay with the dog for about a half hour to ensure he doesn't lick the cream off before it has a chance to absorbed.

On another spot I'd use a little anti fungal because because warm + moist + antibiotics = fungal or yeastie beasties, maybe. Something for athlete's foot or jock itch might help, or for yeast a little tube of cream from the lady parts section of the drugstore.

I've had pretty good luck with Vetericyn for all types of skin stuff. Sprays or a gel available at Tractor Supply or places like Petsmart. It's expensive, but good for what ails ya IME. Be sure to check the expiration date on the bottle and get one that will last a while.

If any of these work I'd go with that one until Monday then call the vet and let him/her know, and see if they say to continue or if they have something more effective. My vet has had good results with Apoquel for skin allergies.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Hot spots between toes

Post by Sharon » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:21 pm

Thanks Shags. I'm printing off and saving your post. My JRT gets similar toe problems in the summer.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett