Help with Itchy Skin

Zahelv

Help with Itchy Skin

Post by Zahelv » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:35 am

Help! I live in Florida so maybe this should go out to all the Florida groomers. I am having more issues with people bringing in their dogs and complaining of their itchy skin. 8 out of 10 dogs coming in have itchy skin! Now, I am 80% sure this isn't because of my product, because half of these people are new customers. (I have only been around a year.) I try to ask reasonable questions to find out why they may have itchy skin, but basically I need a good shampoo that will help alleviate these dogs issues. Some of it is the sand dust that they get in their coat when they roll around in the grass. Some of it is allergies. What shampoos/products do you recommend to help? I use mostly Tropiclean products and some B2B. I find my best shampoo is the Tropiclean Aloe. That seems to help my own dogs with their dry skin a bit, but I need a sure thing!
I am looking at other shampoos to try them out and see what is the best fit for me too so any input is welcome!
Thanks!

setterpoint

Re: Help with Itchy Skin

Post by setterpoint » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:25 pm

I'm in michigan sand ever where hear to, my one setter has problems like you are describing I took him to the vet
this is the shampoo they said to use its called BPO-3 it's by vetoquinoa it has 3 percent benzoyl peroxide iv also heard people use baking soda in the bath water hope this helps,

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:55 pm

With those numbers along with the time of year I would look a bit deeper.
I never bred an incredible setter bitch even though she was the ideal bird dog, incredibly smart, clean, a lovable companion in the home with creditable trial placements. I stopped campaigning her because of this issue. The reason was she would develop itchy skin at specific times every year and I felt it was irresponsible of me to pro-create an issue that I - and I'm sure my poor dog - found cyclically insufferable.
I am not proud to share this but I sincerely believe I put this sweet dog through this "cyclically" (hint hint)........via her tick meds. In her latter years when she was restricted to being a couch queen, we stopped with these meds. Co-incidentally, the itchy skin never returned. :oops:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:29 pm

Now that is very interesting.
My girl gets itchy in the Spring. Vet said it is often the invisible to us, oily coating on new grass that causes that.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett