Knuckling

Garrison

Knuckling

Post by Garrison » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:09 pm

Anybody know about knuckling, a friends 8week old pit puppy is knuckling over. Her legs were straight a couple days ago. She isn’t overweight at all and the dogs in her line are around 50-65lbs, I thought that I read at one time that she should not be put on a hard surface and put on a large breed formula. He is scheduling an appointment tomorrow with the vet, just curious. Thanks
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

art hubbard

Re: Knuckling

Post by art hubbard » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:27 am

Yes, I had a young dog several years years ago with the same condition, the problem was that he was getting too much calcium which was making his leg bone to grow to fast making the feet to knuckle down. Switch him over to Science Diet for pups. One sack did the trick, legs and wrist joints straighed right up. You have to make sure the food your feeding has a Calcium to Phosoris rating of 1 to .9 or the leg bones will grow to fast. Dog food in those days were not what we have today. Don't skimp on puppy food. Hope this helps...

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:32 am

Thanks, last night when he texted me I recommended to him that he switch her to Eukanuba Large Breed. The calcium and phosphours levels are half compared to the food he was feeding. Sounds like he is on the right track.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:42 am

Yup use large breed formula. It's easily corrected.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:19 am

After I had him switch to Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy and cut back the feed a bit, his pup’s legs were back to normal in about a week and half. Thanks all.
- Mark Twain-