Puppy Eating Poo

naperdog

Puppy Eating Poo

Post by naperdog » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:45 pm

How can I stop my 9 month old lab from eating poo? I’m sure he’s healthy but somewhere along the way he started eating poo. Pretty sure it started with frozen poo, but now he’s eating anything. Realty frustrating me and it occasionally leads to diarrhea. Are those food additives helpful?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Puppy Eating Poo

Post by Sharon » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:52 pm

"Are those food additives helpful?" quote

Who knows. :) It has been my experience that all dogs that can , eat poop. That frozen stuff is particularly tasty. Maybe a google read will help.

https://www.google.com/search?q=why+dog ... e&ie=UTF-8
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:52 pm

Sharon has given you good advice in the sense of a number of links to research. However, in answer to your question A) those "additives" are absolutely effective with some dogs and not with others. Worth a try and then extended try for sure. If one doesn't work, try another. B) where does your dog live, and where does he poo? If he's a house dog, don't just kick him out in the backyard. Go out with him, call him in, put him on a sit and clean up the backyard. Stay with him; attentiveness is all. Good time to do about five minutes of obedience work afterwards to distract (and train) him, too.
Last edited by Steve007 on Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Meller

Post by Meller » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:49 pm

Have had success adding caned pumpkin to the dog feed.

Yellow Dog1

Post by Yellow Dog1 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:34 pm

naperdog wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:45 pm
How can I stop my 9 month old lab from eating poo? I’m sure he’s healthy but somewhere along the way he started eating poo. Pretty sure it started with frozen poo, but now he’s eating anything. Realty frustrating me and it occasionally leads to diarrhea. Are those food additives helpful?
Great link that Sharon has posted. It has been my experience dogs starting to eat poop can be caused by a parasite such as tape worm, hook work and round worm or poor quality kibble and still hungry. Another thing that can/will start a dog to be a stool eater is that your dog can learn this behavior from another dog. I have had many dogs that were not stool eaters and brought/introduced a new dog to my kennel that was a stool eater. I didn't know this when I purchased the 3 year old dog until I witnessed it at my kennel. The rest of the dogs started the same behavior shortly after. Needless to say the dog went back to it's original owner. I had to keep the kennels and dog yard completely free of any poop after that to undo what was taught.