Pneumonia

naperdog

Pneumonia

Post by naperdog » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:39 pm

I’ll probably lean towards what my vet said but hoping to get some other opinions.

My 10.5 year old lab was diagnosed with a mild case of pneumonia on 12-3 and was put on antibiotics. A follow up x-ray on 12-8 showed significant improvement and he’s remained on meds. The vet is recommending a final x-ray later this week to confirm pneumonia is completely gone. Assuming the x-ray is clear, one more week of meds and no hunting.

My dogs energy level is 100% better and he almost seems to have more energy than before he got sick. Would you all get the final x-ray? I want to hunt him on Sunday, does that seems like a bad idea?

Appreciate the opinions!

art hubbard

Re: Pneumonia

Post by art hubbard » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:24 pm

I would get the x ray

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:43 pm

Xray yes, hunt NO!

Why push the dog and put him at risk for a relapse. Vets generally know more about this stuff than we do and don't randomly advise limitations without good reason.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:23 pm

Vet should probably be able to give you a good assessment of lung health with just a stethoscope in this situation, imho. would save you money on the x-rays. If you REALLY want to hunt him, I wouldn't be afraid to as long as his lungs sound good. Just take it easy and make it a short outing. Again, just my opinion, and remember I haven't seen the dog... but your vet has!

naperdog

Post by naperdog » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:16 pm

Thanks all. Both the initial vet and follow up vet never heard anything in his lungs, they were only able to see it on the x-ray. I was mostly trying to get others opinions because I think our vet sometimes recommends things that can be way over protective. I’ll probably error on the side of caution with pneumonia though. Hard to leave him home at his age, never know what season will be his last and I want him to get every experience he can.

Have a pup I bring with and love working on, so not wanting to bring the old guy out for selfish reasons.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:56 pm

shags wrote:Xray yes, hunt NO!

Why push the dog and put him at risk for a relapse. Vets generally know more about this stuff than we do and don't randomly advise limitations without good reason.
X2
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:32 pm

I have had pneumonia twice. It's nothing to trifle with, and it took months to fully recover, although from the outside I wasn't coughing and probably looked fine. Think about your long term goals for this dog, and weigh the potential costs if you run the dog too soon.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:23 am

Since the dog is over 10, I would error on the side of being extra careful going forward. I would get the x-ray and talk in depth about future hunting with the dog. I also would not hunt him the rest of this winter giving his immune system ample time to recover, following the discontinuation of the antibiotics....of course that is just me!

Good Luck

naperdog

Post by naperdog » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:15 pm

I ended up getting the third x-ray and there were no changes from the previous one. (There was significant improvements from the 1st to 2nd). His temperature was normal and everything appears as it was before the pneumonia. Vet is pretty sure pneumonia is all cleared up.

Before getting really sick he would occasionally have some kind of cough or gag. This only happened once a week, if that. In discussion with vet she thinks that may have been what led to the pneumonia. Unfortunately the cough is still around and happening a little more often. Could be an allergy or could be something more serious, will have to bring him back in to explore options for that.

Luckily I have my new 7 month old pup to take hunting. He’s really coming along faster than I could have ever hoped for, but breaks my heart leaving the old guy at home. His spirit,muscles andd joints are still healthy and hope we can figure out what’s in his lungs and get him back out in the field.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:14 pm

I hope he recovers well and has many more days in the field with you going forward. He may just need more rest between hunts....they all go so hard, even when they are getting up in age. Seems like some of us they only have one speed.... That 7 month old pup sounds like a doozy!

Good Luck

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:24 pm

Exactly. I have a 13 year old who still goes full out. Expect to find her keeled over in the field sometime , but that's all right. She asked me to let her be who she is till the end.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:45 pm

Sharon,

Love that comment....it is 'spot on'! I hope my wife gives me the same respect when the time comes....

Have a Happy New Year