ME vs. Cal per cup?

nanney1

ME vs. Cal per cup?

Post by nanney1 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:15 am

I've never really been able to get my head around this issue, but as I understand it, ME per KG is a more meaningful number than KCal per cup. I'm just not sure why though since I feed by the cup

3 foods. #1 is 3,550 ME and 410 kcal per cup, #2 is 3390 ME and 346 per cup, and #3 is 3400 ME and 298 per cup.

My small dog will gain weight on #1 and be a bit heavy even with regular exercise. She will maintain on #2 but will lose weight and tone up if exercised regularly. And on #3 she maintains a lighter weight and good tone without exercise. So from my standpoint, I see a wider discrepancy between these three foods based on their published Kcal per cup. There doesn't seem to be a lot of difference in the ME.

And I've seen other foods with a ME of around 3400 and kcals at anywhere from 315, to 340 to 360. I'm assuming that the density and size of the kibble can make a difference and the digestibility is also a big part of the equation.

Timewise65

Re: ME vs. Cal per cup?

Post by Timewise65 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:58 am

Newer health science, as I understand it, tells us to focus less on caloric content and more on Carbohydrates! Most overweight people and I suppose dogs eat extremely high carb loaded meals...(i.e. all grains, all fruits, all sugars, all root crops, etc. etc.)...another reason to go grain free!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:33 am

Timewise65 wrote:Newer health science, as I understand it, tells us to focus less on caloric content and more on Carbohydrates! Most overweight people and I suppose dogs eat extremely high carb loaded meals...(i.e. all grains, all fruits, all sugars, all root crops, etc. etc.)...another reason to go grain free!
In my way of thinking it is the real reason we need to feed grain.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:52 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Timewise65 wrote:Newer health science, as I understand it, tells us to focus less on caloric content and more on Carbohydrates! Most overweight people and I suppose dogs eat extremely high carb loaded meals...(i.e. all grains, all fruits, all sugars, all root crops, etc. etc.)...another reason to go grain free!
In my way of thinking it is the real reason we need to feed grain.
I agree. It has been a natural part of their diet for more years than I can count. I have also read that the far majority of dogs that win in performance events are fed a dog food with grain.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:13 am

Carolina gundogs.....

No doubt that you and most of us have fed high carb foods to our dogs for years! Heck, most dog food manufactures don't even list the carb content on the packages....

But, just from a common sense point, looking back, over time, at canines in general. they had limited access to grains and carbs in general. Their primary foods were protein and fat....same for humans up until we learned to cultivate crops....

This is the foundation of some of the work being done on less carbs with a better balance of fats and protein....

Good luck

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:46 am

My dog food does not give a ME number. It just states "Metabolized Energy (calculated) 430 Kcals/cup". I do understand that ME is the energy left for your pet's body to use once all digestion is complete. I would assume that the higher the Kcals/cup the higher the ME, but that may not be true of all dog foods.

Then we get into how much protein and fat are necessary?? I do feel we tend to over think all of this. If you are feeding a quality dog food and your dog is doing fine, healthy and has the desired energy to do his/her job that's all that really matters.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5