Why Purina Pro Plan?

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Why Purina Pro Plan?

Post by shags » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:47 am

What did you switch from?
Sometimes when going to a higher protein and fat diet, it helps to cut back on the amount fed with the new food. Once things firm up, gradually increase to the amount that keeps the dog in good condition without poop going loose.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:01 pm

Over the years I have fed a number of different foods, mostly out of the grocery store. Fed Nutro when it first came out and I think it's good stuff, my dog's seemed to do well on it. There was one food I fed that was obviously trash. Came from American Nutrition in Utah! Now I've been criticized for feeding Pedigree, fed it a lot of years and no complaints. I've been told is makes the dogs stool's to big. Really? I pick up and dispose of dog schitz but I don't measure the amount! Most all foods are sprayed with an oil so I'm told. flavor enhancer. I fed Biscuit for quite a while. Baked and no oil, very dry food. Best stuff I ever fed but to get it I had to order a ton at a time. Right now I'm feeding Purina dog chow and no complaint's, maybe I should measure the schitz piles!

For the most part there is one thing to tell you if your food is any good, does your dog eat it! I have tried food's that it was hard to get my dog's to eat but when I got it down them they did well. Know what more important than the brand of feed you feed? Conditioning! Pretty much food is food is food and you don't always get what you pay for! Girl friend feed's a high dollar custom feed from the feed store and her dog's do fine on it. Mostly her dog's are to keep the furniture from moving in an earth quake! My dog's eat Purina Dog chow. $22 for 50# at the Bi Mart and Walmart! Her's is $43 at the local feed store for 30#! I've never had a problem with my dog's running out of gas out hunting on any food other than that stuff from American Nutrition! #1 necessary ingredient in dog food, the dog has to eat it!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:41 pm

I didnt want to feed PPP 30/20 as I believe the high pro diet is hard on the dogs. I couldnt keep weight on my weims and was feeding more (8 to 9 cups a day) then I thought healthy either.
PPP sport is the nuts . 4 cups a day and they are in great shape. Keep weight on, well muscled ,healthy coats , and small stools. Cheaper to feed in the long run also.
I will be continuing reading about hi protein and health issues.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:10 am

Good choice weimdog!
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5