Eating grass

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Eating grass

Post by Sharon » Tue May 24, 2016 3:11 pm

My JRT is devouring grass. (Yes I'm feeding him well.) His poop is one long string of mostly grass. Any ideas on what this might signify. Energy level , drinking, eating is normal so I haven't felt it necessary to see a vet.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Re: Eating grass

Post by polmaise » Tue May 24, 2016 3:26 pm

It's sweet. But not in Autumn .

Roffey

Post by Roffey » Tue May 24, 2016 4:00 pm

My YLF does the same half the time she spits it up later in the house somewhere. I've tried telling her NO but she waits 5 min. and goes at it again.
Was thinking the same as Sharon as to diet or something.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue May 24, 2016 6:18 pm

Dogs do that..................Cj

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue May 24, 2016 9:07 pm

LOL Thanks.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Wed May 25, 2016 6:57 am

Be lucky it is only grass My old GSP loves Asparagus to the point that she has killed most of the plants in the yard and is now working on the plants on the river banks.

Grant

digger

Post by digger » Wed May 25, 2016 9:40 am

I believe I saw an explanation for "why dogs eat grass", that was given by Dr. Tim. He claimed it's because they don't have thumbs.lol

reba

Post by reba » Wed May 25, 2016 10:39 am

When feeding livestock my female GSP always takes a mouth full of alfalfa; however she still barks :D

She also tries the alfalfa pellets.

I think it's much better than eating poop.

The only problem I see is when the grass/alfalfa gets hung up coming out. I don't let her run in the front door in that condition!

Best wishes.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed May 25, 2016 10:47 am

Back in the day when dogs were wild and they did not have worm medicine,they ate grass in the spring to clean the worms out their intestines. Some have inherited that gene and still do...............................Cj
Last edited by cjhills on Wed May 25, 2016 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed May 25, 2016 10:55 am

cjhills wrote:Back in the day when dogs were wild they ate grass in the spring to clean out their intestines. Some have inherited that gene and still do...............................Cj
An old wife's tale that doesn't make any sense. Intestines do not get dirty and need cleaning and if they did why would a dog wait till spring to do it? I have heard it acts as a laxative but that doesn't hold much water either. They probably just like the taste as we have never been able to pin down a dietary need.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed May 25, 2016 12:27 pm

My old dog loves to eat grass from when it sprouts in the spring to when it dies off in the fall. We feed our old horse soaked hay cubes in the winter, and the dog gets a cube or so a day, too. The advantage of hay cubes over grass is that there's no pulling of strands from his hind end 8)

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed May 25, 2016 12:31 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
cjhills wrote:Back in the day when dogs were wild they ate grass in the spring to clean out their intestines. Some have inherited that gene and still do...............................Cj
An old wife's tale that doesn't make any sense. Intestines do not get dirty and need cleaning and if they did why would a dog wait till spring to do it? I have heard it acts as a laxative but that doesn't hold much water either. They probably just like the taste as we have never been able to pin down a dietary need.

Ezzy
Sorry, for some reason my post did not come out as planned I have edited the first post. I meant to say to clean the worms out of their stomach and intestines. It absolutely makes sense. Because there was not grass in winter. Still ain't up here...................Cj

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed May 25, 2016 1:24 pm

I have no idea how a dog would know it has worms. But if it does they can find grass anytime of year if you have green grass in the summer, it just isn't green. I have noted they only eat long blades of grass and never grass that is shorter. I think the answer to this is they eat it because they want to.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed May 25, 2016 2:02 pm

It's sweet . They don't eat the old grass or the grass that some other dog has 'left it's scent' on . Smart ain't they :wink:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed May 25, 2016 4:31 pm

Well now I'm not worried about the grass anymore. The dog grabbed , ran and swallowed one of those plastic meat tray liners to day. Waiting to see if a trip to the vet is ahead.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed May 25, 2016 4:41 pm

Well, that's not behaviour , that will require training . I'm sure You are well versed .

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed May 25, 2016 5:10 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I have no idea how a dog would know it has worms. But if it does they can find grass anytime of year if you have green grass in the summer, it just isn't green. I have noted they only eat long blades of grass and never grass that is shorter. I think the answer to this is they eat it because they want to.

Ezzy
Here Is a thought. How do wild canines get rid of worms now?.......................Cj

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed May 25, 2016 5:46 pm

cjhills wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:I have no idea how a dog would know it has worms. But if it does they can find grass anytime of year if you have green grass in the summer, it just isn't green. I have noted they only eat long blades of grass and never grass that is shorter. I think the answer to this is they eat it because they want to.

Ezzy
Here Is a thought. How do wild canines get rid of worms now?.......................Cj
I have never seen that they did. I doubt if worms is much of a problem for them as they do not live in a small enclosure where they would pick up worm larva or eat contaminated food.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Wed May 25, 2016 5:49 pm

i have been told dogs eat grass to clean the stomach my dogs will eat it then throw it back up i dont know if thats why or not

vtjeeper

Eating grass

Post by vtjeeper » Wed May 25, 2016 8:17 pm

Both my labs eat grass one is a year and a half and the other is pup 10 weeks. Both go after the taller blades of grass. Neither cough it back up and BMs are normal. Must be a sweet taste to them or something

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Fri May 27, 2016 9:46 pm

my dog eats grass all the time, seems to happen more often when she is queasy, before and after we ride in the truck.

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Sat May 28, 2016 10:32 am

Sharon wrote:Well now I'm not worried about the grass anymore. The dog grabbed , ran and swallowed one of those plastic meat tray liners to day. Waiting to see if a trip to the vet is ahead.
I hope it all passed. Mine ate a work glove.... well just the fingers it took 2 days before she puked it up never skipped a beat.

I read that hydrogen peroxide side will induce vomiting but I have never had to use it.

Grant

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat May 28, 2016 1:08 pm

I never found it in his feces , but he seems fine. Lucky this time. Thanks.

reba

Post by reba » Tue May 31, 2016 7:58 am

Had a Lab swallow a sock one time. Vet said to give him a dinner roll with a spoon full of vasoline every morning. He pass it in a few days.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:43 pm

Cicada wrote:
Sharon wrote:Well now I'm not worried about the grass anymore. The dog grabbed , ran and swallowed one of those plastic meat tray liners to day. Waiting to see if a trip to the vet is ahead.
I hope it all passed. Mine ate a work glove.... well just the fingers it took 2 days before she puked it up never skipped a beat.

I read that hydrogen peroxide side will induce vomiting but I have never had to use it.

Grant
The peroxide works. My EP ate a whole block of cheese in 30 seconds. She can handle a couple pieces but I knew it was coming up eventually, so I took control of when and where. I carry it in my K9 first aid kit.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.