Best tool/blade for removing matts?

Montana

Best tool/blade for removing matts?

Post by Montana » Thu May 12, 2016 8:06 am

What's the best size/type blade for removing matts? Are the dematting tools I see advertised any good?

marysburg

Re: Best tool/blade for removing matts?

Post by marysburg » Thu May 12, 2016 8:20 pm

I have had long haired dogs for decades. Right now, I have 2 brittanies, one of whom has a very fuzzy coat which picks up everything and matts easily. I use old school methods. Mars Coat King really keeps the hair thinned out. I also use thinning shears; and to trim off matts which have already formed, I use curved scissors and VERY carefully trim matts away from the skin. It is real easy to tent the skin when pulling on the matt, and then cut the skin by accident. I use Absorbine Showsheen to keep the hair from matting in problem areas. If you wanted to, you could use clippers to keep the hair shorter, but if the coat is soft enough, it will still want to form matts. If you find something that works really well, let us know. It is always good to share tips with others. Oh, by the way, NEVER spray Showsheen in the house on linoleum. It will make the floor really slippery. Best to use it outside.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Tue May 17, 2016 3:56 pm

I can't argue with any of that advice. I tend to cut the mats off with scissors, but if you want to save the coat, get some Cowboy Magic mane and tail detangler. Soak the mat thoroughly, let it rest for a couple of minutes and then carefully work the mat out with a steel comb. The mane and tail detangler is expensive but you only use a few drops so the little tube lasts a long time.

If you intend to give the dog a bath, knots come right out if you spray them with WD-40. You have to wash it off the coat, though, after you get the mat out. WD-40 is just about the best way to get cockle burrs out of the coat.

There will be less trouble with mats if you keep the coat combed and work it over with the Mars Coat King occasionally to keep it thinned out.

S'setter

Post by S'setter » Wed May 18, 2016 1:16 am

Pam cooking spray helps with removing mats! My setters like it a little to well but works! Also helps if you spray the long hair before they hit the brush & reapplying it through out the day make brushing out easier! Cleans right out with a bath after a day afield!

GrayGhost

Post by GrayGhost » Wed May 18, 2016 4:08 pm

marysburg wrote:I have had long haired dogs for decades. Right now, I have 2 brittanies, one of whom has a very fuzzy coat which picks up everything and matts easily. I use old school methods. Mars Coat King really keeps the hair thinned out. I also use thinning shears; and to trim off matts which have already formed, I use curved scissors and VERY carefully trim matts away from the skin. It is real easy to tent the skin when pulling on the matt, and then cut the skin by accident. I use Absorbine Showsheen to keep the hair from matting in problem areas. If you wanted to, you could use clippers to keep the hair shorter, but if the coat is soft enough, it will still want to form matts. If you find something that works really well, let us know. It is always good to share tips with others. Oh, by the way, NEVER spray Showsheen in the house on linoleum. It will make the floor really slippery. Best to use it outside.
Lately I've seen the Mars Coat King come up on here a few times, is it similar to the Furminator for mats in the hair, or is better?

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed May 18, 2016 7:31 pm

Local Groomer!
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Mon May 23, 2016 11:39 am

Get a Safari comb and don't look back! Careful your fingers but this really saves on not cutting the dog with scissors.

http://www.amazon.com/Safari-W6116-Safa ... B0002ARR2W
Colin

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:01 pm

marysburg wrote:I have had long haired dogs for decades. I use Absorbine Showsheen to keep the hair from matting in problem areas. It is always good to share tips with others. Oh, by the way, NEVER spray Showsheen in the house on linoleum. It will make the floor really slippery. Best to use it outside.
Correct. LaserSheen is a concentrate (mix with water) and much cheaper. You can buy at tack (horse) shops or horse section of feed stores. Also greatly reduces burrs, sticktights etc. in the coat accumulated while hunting.

hiboss

Post by hiboss » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:49 pm

You can use a dematting tool first ,then use pet grooming clippers

The brand Safari or Gopets are all good .
For the clippers, You can take Wahl or Andis depends on your budget.

BuckeyeSteve

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:35 am

ckfowler wrote:Get a Safari comb and don't look back! Careful your fingers but this really saves on not cutting the dog with scissors.

http://www.amazon.com/Safari-W6116-Safa ... B0002ARR2W
I just ordered this.... thanks for the advice!