Torn / Lacerated front pad

grecothrown

Torn / Lacerated front pad

Post by grecothrown » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:43 am

During a hunt my setter got a cut on her front pad. The laceration was not deep enough to bleed or it did not bleed enough to be noticed. The laceration did not slow her down to much but it did change the way she was running so I stopped the hunt and took her to the truck. I washed out the injury very well and took her home. Once home she got a bath and the injury did not bleed or show signs of being very deep. This all happened on a Sunday so we did not go to the vet. On Monday the pad looks pretty good but you can still see the cut. She is favoring the paw a little but not to much surprisingly. She is an inside dog so we are limiting going outside unless it is to go potty and then straight back in. I have a few questions: Is there anything I should be doing with the pad to help the healing process? If she licks the pad is that okay or should it be covered?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Torn / Lacerated front pad

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:49 pm

Sounds minor. I wouldn't worry about it. Soaking it in warm salt water will make sure no infection starts.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

DeLo727

Post by DeLo727 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:26 pm

Im no expert but I feel like you should make sure its occasionally disinfected while its closing

mrgordonscott

Post by mrgordonscott » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:20 pm

Sounds like you did a nice job watching your dogs behavior change and played it safe by ending the hunt. I'd recommend a dog first aide kit in your bag if you don't already have one. Just in case you end up with a would you want to bandage.