Shampoo for bad odor.

magspa

Shampoo for bad odor.

Post by magspa » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:09 am

Any recommendations for a dog shampoo that will remove that musty mud smell? Even after washing with flea/tick ginger soap really well my dog always stinks for days. The wife gets really pi##ed.

Gordon Guy

Re: Shampoo for bad odor.

Post by Gordon Guy » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:17 am

at the risk of starting a dog food argument......Sometimes dog food may cause a unpleasant odor coming from a dogs coat.

I use Dawn liquid dish soap. No problems with my dogs coat. They use Dawn original for removing crude oil from animals that I have been exposed in oil spills. Also, I heard that it will remove flea and tick repellent from their coat.

I get a plastic cottage cheese container, put a squirt of Dawn in the bottom, fill the remaining space with warm water and pour it over the dog. Works great.
Last edited by Gordon Guy on Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

DougB

Post by DougB » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:57 am

Gordon Guy wrote:at the risk of starting a dog food argument......Sometimes dog food may cause a unpleasant odor coming from a dogs coat.
Or other body parts. My dog gets nothing with fish.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:13 am

Hunting dogs smell like dog!

magspa

Post by magspa » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:49 am

I dont think its the food. The smell is only there after a hunt. I dont mind dog smell, but this is almost like a sewage smell. And i get sick of hearing my wife complain.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:11 pm

He-man type dirt and stank needs he-man type soap :D I use original Dawn, the blue stuff, on my dogs when they get into that swamp muck.

Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:38 pm

You could try Fresh and Clean dog shampoo.Our dogs smell great for 2 weeks after a bath.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:35 pm

Our vet suggested Nizoral shampoo. Wash the dog on Day 1, Day 3, Day 5, then once a week for a total of 6 treatments. Let the suds stay on the dog for about 5 minutes, and scrub the entire dog down to the skin. Worked really well on our stinky Golden Retriever.

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:55 am

There is an effective DIY de-skunkng shampoo recipe for removing skunk odor, very inexpensive to make, and worth a shot.

1 quart hydrogen peroxide
1/4 baking soda
1 teaspoon dish washing detergent

Mix immediately before use. Scale amounts up for big dog. Apply to dry dog. Leave 5 min. Shampoo to remove de-skunker.

I'd also make sure anal glands are expressed, ears are well cleaned, as are the teeth.

Bill

deke

Post by deke » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:09 pm

Spy Car wrote:There is an effective DIY de-skunkng shampoo recipe for removing skunk odor, very inexpensive to make, and worth a shot.

1/4 baking soda

Mix immediately before use. Scale amounts up for big dog. Apply to dry dog. Leave 5 min. Shampoo to remove de-skunker.

I'd also make sure anal glands are expressed, ears are well cleaned, as are the teeth.

Bill

Agree, works like a charm on my labs.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:05 pm

deke wrote:
Spy Car wrote:There is an effective DIY de-skunkng shampoo recipe for removing skunk odor, very inexpensive to make, and worth a shot.

1/4 baking soda

Bill

Agree, works like a charm on my labs.
X3 ---the only thing I will add to this is make the dish washing liquid, Dawn(it seems to work better than the others-JMO) :D

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:41 pm

Or you could buy a Vizsla :D

Bill

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:39 pm

Johnsons baby shampoo.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:53 pm

When I get in from hunting, I send them into the horse water trough. Then when dry, they are with me cleaning the gun. I give each a dousing of Hoppe's #9 solvent! ':-)

BirdyBoris

Post by BirdyBoris » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:20 pm

A muddy/musty odor is also a common sign of yeast. A chlorhexidine based shampoo works well and bathing a few times a week.

ozoro

Post by ozoro » Wed May 16, 2018 10:15 am

I have three totally different dogs. I have a pit bull a chow chow and a shih tzu.
my pit bull gets medicated tea tree shampoos or earth baths green tea which I absolutely love! or tropicleans aloe for the pit and chow chow.
I use a basic tearless for the faces on all three. tho I just picked up noogies tearless it's a natural shampoo but not one I'll be using again. I have 15 diff types of dog shampoos lol.

I like buddy wash shampoo and conditioners too it has rosemary and mint soothing for the skin.

but for my chow chow i recently ordered offline #1 all systems pure white lightening shampoo https://petapproves.com/best-smelling-d ... o-reviews/ it helps lighten stains. you can use it on white dogs and cream dogs so you can use it on both of your dogs. and then I use an Espree conditioner after, next bottle I'll be going to the earth bath conditioner since that's what I use at work and I really do like earth bath products.

I've also used the mane and tail shampoo Mr chips are talking about I think the first time I had dreads? it is good shampoo too you can get it at Walmart or Sally's beauty supply. may be one of the only shampoos that are used on ppl i'd recommend on a dog. There are a lot of useful videos on this topic on Youtube, I will leave here one of them, as many often have similar questions. Good Luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBt7bhVQCJU

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed May 16, 2018 4:10 pm

DonF wrote:When I get in from hunting, I send them into the horse water trough. Then when dry, they are with me cleaning the gun. I give each a dousing of Hoppe's #9 solvent! ':-)
LOL too funny.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed May 16, 2018 4:55 pm

magspa wrote:Any recommendations for a dog shampoo that will remove that musty mud smell? Even after washing with flea/tick ginger soap really well my dog always stinks for days. The wife gets really pi##ed.
Water ...............preferably clean.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Thu May 17, 2018 6:27 am

I use something called Natures Miracle.
https://www.petsmart.com/dog/grooming-s ... 20130.html

They also make a similar product that I use to deodorize my concrete kennel runs. It neutralizes urine odor etc. Great stuff....

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Thu May 17, 2018 12:34 pm

Honestly I use whatever body wash or shampoo I have on hand, and then spray them with a shea butter skin care spray that my wife bought at the fancy pet store in town. The bottle was a little expensive it seems but its lasted 2 years and is only half gone. The Spray is what stays with them, even a week or two afterwards if he jumps in the river it smells reactivates. Its worked with everything but the skunk (obviously.)

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Fri May 18, 2018 6:09 am

Bill...does owning a Vizsla mean you eventually desensitize to the smell? :lol:
Hey DonF, don't you finish it off with a light wipe down of Hoppe's Gun Oil instead of a dry towel?

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Fri May 18, 2018 11:33 am

Rinse the dog after shampooing with diluted white vinegar.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:35 am

Here are a couple of great shampoos for dirty dogs that smell.
Double K Grimeinator : https://www.doublekindustries.com/grime ... etails.php
Kelco Filthy Animal shampoo : https://www.ebay.com/i/401492476213?chn=ps