New puppy

KIESNER17

New puppy

Post by KIESNER17 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:48 pm

I am picking up my irish setter pup I mid Nov and am looking for a good puppy food. The breeder Ironfire setters is using purina puppy chow for their puppies and tuffys gold for the adults. Right now I am the process of switching my 5 year old springer over to Nutromax chicken and rice from diamond naturals lamb and rice. The plan is to have both dogs on the same food when my new girl is old enough. So the plan is to use nutro max puppy food the pup. Just looking for any info or input on what you have used in the past or currently are using .......

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: New puppy

Post by shags » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:06 am

If your dogs do well on the food, if it's affordable for you, and easily available, feed it and don't worry about what other people think of it.
If it ain't broke, it don't need fixin'. :lol:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:10 am

shags wrote:If your dogs do well on the food, if it's affordable for you, and easily available, feed it and don't worry about what other people think of it.
If it ain't broke, it don't need fixin'. :lol:
Exactly right! I can think of no other subject where there is more misinformation spread and believed by some than Dog Food quality and requirements.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Twhjelmgren28

Post by Twhjelmgren28 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:19 am

Completely unrelated to your original post but I'm also picking up a female pup from Ironfire in mid-November; must be the same litter. I can't wait. I was actually just going to e-mail Roger Berg about what food he uses.

Maybe I'll see you on pickup day.

KIESNER17

Post by KIESNER17 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:18 am

Twhjelmgren28 wrote:Completely unrelated to your original post but I'm also picking up a female pup from Ironfire in mid-November; must be the same litter. I can't wait. I was actually just going to e-mail Roger Berg about what food he uses.

Maybe I'll see you on pickup day.
I will be up there the morning of Nov 13.....I truly believe we are in store for a couple of wonderful irish setters. Funny thing is there was only 4 girls born out of both liters. Glad I got my deposit in months ago.....

Twhjelmgren28

Post by Twhjelmgren28 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:02 am

Yeah, I'm super excited. It doesn't seem like there are too many irish setter breeders around but I loved the vibe when I visited Roger's kennel. He told me he had small litters but I didn't realize there would be only 4 females out of the two. I know what you mean about the deposit too; I've had mine in since July and it's been killing me to wait but I've also had time to prepare that way. Good luck and happy training and hunting!

KIESNER17

Post by KIESNER17 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:41 pm

Twhjelmgren28 wrote:Yeah, I'm super excited. It doesn't seem like there are too many irish setter breeders around but I loved the vibe when I visited Roger's kennel. He told me he had small litters but I didn't realize there would be only 4 females out of the two. I know what you mean about the deposit too; I've had mine in since July and it's been killing me to wait but I've also had time to prepare that way. Good luck and happy training and hunting!
Yea Im just counting the days till I get her. I have decided to stick with Diamond food for now. Picked up a bag of thier puppy food the other day. I had real good results with Diamond on my 5 year old Springer rocky so I'm sticking with it and hoping for the same result. Maybe we'll have to have a puppy play date they might be sisters....I figure I got a year till next hunting season to get her ready to go hunting . Lots of work ahead

Twhjelmgren28

Post by Twhjelmgren28 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:09 am

So I actually just stopped out at the kennel on Saturday (my wife and I were in the St. Cloud area). I did confirm the pickup day of November 13 for the Summer Storm x Lily litter, so my wife and I will be up there that morning as well. Looks like they will be sisters. They are very cute right now; tiny and red. A puppy play-date would be good sometime.

I spoke a little to Roger about the food; he recommended Diamond as well or Tuffy's Gold - I think I'm going to go with the Diamond also (it's at a Fleet Farm near our house) and possibly the Diamond Performance when she's on adult food. I'm looking forward to the training also and feel like it is a great time to get her. We'll see how it goes, it will be my first training experience though I did grow up with a springer spaniel that was/is awesome on pheasants.

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:12 am

Keep us updated with LOTS of pictures :D

KIESNER17

Post by KIESNER17 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:09 am

It's puppy pick day for us. Been up since 4am and can not wait to get up their to get her. Now the fun begins.....

AlPastor

Post by AlPastor » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:16 am

KIESNER17 wrote:I am picking up my irish setter pup I mid Nov and am looking for a good puppy food. The breeder Ironfire setters is using purina puppy chow for their puppies and tuffys gold for the adults. Right now I am the process of switching my 5 year old springer over to Nutromax chicken and rice from diamond naturals lamb and rice. The plan is to have both dogs on the same food when my new girl is old enough. So the plan is to use nutro max puppy food the pup. Just looking for any info or input on what you have used in the past or currently are using .......

I know that a lot of folks in your region feed pro pac performance and pro pac puppy performance.

You should also have decent access to some of the mushing foods.