GSP needing nutrition advice

Cetmanski7

GSP needing nutrition advice

Post by Cetmanski7 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:11 pm

I have a year old GSP who is very small and lean. I believe he is the runt of his litter and his parents were both smaller animals. He eats 2-4 cups of food per day but is not terribly interested in eating his dry food. Some days he will not eat until the afternoon. I have tried all kinds of brands of food the most recent being Purina 30/20, Nutram30/20, and numtram 24/16. He is not loosing weight and currently weighs 42 pounds which has been consistent for about 3 months but he has almost no body fat.
Looking for nutritional advice been to the vet for deworming and float was done and came back negative.
20150803_092246(2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: GSP needing nutrition advice

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:47 pm

I don't think you have a problem. The PUP looks great from what I can see. If not eating immediately when fed bothers you cut him back on feed a little so he is really hungry or you can put the feed down for 19 minutes and then pick it up till the next feeding. He will learn to eat as soon as you feed him. As far as what to feed the three most important thing to look for is a consistent supplier, a feed you can afford, and something your dog does well on. From what you have told us I think the feeds you mentioned all fit that bill. The size is genetic and the condition you describe is exactly what I would look for in a pup the age of yours.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

diplomat019

Post by diplomat019 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:36 pm

your pup seems similar to mine. i have a 2 1/2 year old gsp. he was never the type to gobble up all his food. but he weighs 55lbs and is very lean. good shape. brought him to vet and mentioned it to her and she said he's fine. i used to put his food down and take it away after 10 min or so. some times he wouldn't eat it. sometimes he would. so i just started free feeding him. i fill his bowl up with kibble and he eats as he pleases. when the bowl is empty i fill it back up.

Cetmanski7

Post by Cetmanski7 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:41 am

Thanks for the info. Ive changed foods to Diamond beef 24/14 gonna try him on this for a few months. Anyone ever heard of flaxseed oil as a supplement?