Skunk's ! P~U !

Max2

Skunk's ! P~U !

Post by Max2 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:44 am

The other night Max had his first skunk encounter when he caught a little one by the business end. I saw it as he saw it but it was too late. I called him off and at release I guess the skunk released himself. max didn't smell to bad other then his breath. My guess is the way in which he caught the skunk meant most of it had gone into his mouth. Max rolled around hacking and rubbing on the ground for a bit and I flushed water side ways through his mouth with a squirt bottle. We made our way out of there and in no time it seemed like a memory. Yesterday I found I think the skunk expired and wondered should I be worrying about rabies ? max is current with all his shots. I know not all skunks are not infected but how would one know ? The skunk just appeared and we were surprised. Would you take him to the vet for a booster ? or is that overkill ?

AZ Brittany Guy

Re: Skunk's ! P~U !

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:09 am

Max2 wrote:The other night Max had his first skunk encounter when he caught a little one by the business end. I saw it as he saw it but it was too late. I called him off and at release I guess the skunk released himself. max didn't smell to bad other then his breath. My guess is the way in which he caught the skunk meant most of it had gone into his mouth. Max rolled around hacking and rubbing on the ground for a bit and I flushed water side ways through his mouth with a squirt bottle. We made our way out of there and in no time it seemed like a memory. Yesterday I found I think the skunk expired and wondered should I be worrying about rabies ? max is current with all his shots. I know not all skunks are not infected but how would one know ? The skunk just appeared and we were surprised. Would you take him to the vet for a booster ? or is that overkill ?
It's a vet question. Dog Dr. and few other vets on the forum could answer the question. Good Question though.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:40 pm

I've handled bats (work related) and I know rabies is not transmissible via urine or feces and I would assume the same would be for skunk spray. My concern would be that perhaps your dog could have been bitten. If you know where the skunk's carcass is located you may want to bag it up (being careful not to touch it) and see if either your state wildlife agency or perhaps USFWS would be willing to have it tested for rabies. As far as the value additional vaccines, I agree that is a question best answered by a vet.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:29 am

if he is up to date on rabies vax, them I wouldn't see a need for a booster. BUT, its not going to hurt anyhitng either.