Ringworm!?

luvthemud

Ringworm!?

Post by luvthemud » Fri May 15, 2015 7:52 pm

Ugh...looks like a trip to the vet I'm the morning. Noticed 2 small ringworm looking spots on my dogs belly a little while ago.

Maybe a dumb question but....would he have been able to contract this from my backyard due to all the mushrooms? We cut a tree down a few years back and in spring the yard is full of mushrooms, presumably from the tree roots/stump decomposing. Not sure where else he would have picked it up?
I do my best to get rid of them but I know he has been able to gobble a few when I was looking and obviously has been sniffing around the area a lot.

I am sort of panicking reading about fungal infections on the internet. Vet doesn't open until 7..going to be a long night! :?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Ringworm!?

Post by ezzy333 » Fri May 15, 2015 8:03 pm

Ringworm is not something you need to worry that much about. And no he didn't get it from toadstools
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Fri May 15, 2015 9:35 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Ringworm is not something you need to worry that much about. And no he didn't get it from toadstools
Thanks for the assurance. My last dog suffered from all sorts of strange issues, so I am paranoid.

If not from the mushroom infested yard, I wonder where then? Reading online I guess it could come from a lot of places. Hopefully vet can get me in tomorrow. Guess my day will be spent cleaning carpets, couches, and bedding. Fun fun.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat May 16, 2015 2:59 pm

Don't you jave any topical fungicides around the house? Maybe something for athlete's foot or jock itch? Try 'em. Won't hurt, might help.

twistedoak

Post by twistedoak » Sat May 16, 2015 6:50 pm

don't use anything with zinc in it
zinc oxide is poisonous to dogs .

bulls eye marks are also a result of a bite from a tick with lyme .
just another thing to ponder

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Sat May 16, 2015 7:05 pm

shags wrote:Don't you jave any topical fungicides around the house? Maybe something for athlete's foot or jock itch? Try 'em. Won't hurt, might help.
I actually don't have anything like that around.

I wasn't able to get to the vet today, but they got me in tomorrow. Strange thing is....the marks are disappearing? There were 3 very prominent ringworm type marks last night, and now I can barely make one out? Guessing it will be gone by morning.

Still going to take him in to be safe, bit it doesn't appear to be worsening, which is good.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Sun May 17, 2015 4:06 pm

Well, no ringworm. Whew! Said it was either bites from something, or something bacterial that the dog picked up from the woods or the river.

Dog does have an ear infection though. Turns out I have been doing a bad job of cleaning his ears.