Parvo

randomnut

Parvo

Post by randomnut » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:36 pm

Guys and Gals,

My 12 week pup was apparently exposed to parvovirus 8 days ago. He was playing with another pup a friend has for about 30 minutes. That friend called this am and let me know his pup died this am. His vet said death was due to intestinal worms, but that his pup also had been exposed to parvo. This info comes second hand, I did not speak to his vet myself.

I called my vet as soon as I heard. My vet advised there was no test we could do to check for parvo until symptoms occurred. They also said an incubation time of 3-10 days. Another vet told me 2-4 weeks incubation time. I'm worried to death, wondering if there is anything I can do, and how long I should keep a real close eye on him.

Any advice would be appreciated. This pup is with me all day, every day. I try to limit when and where pup gets out of the truck. He currently seems as healthy as he should be, eating all his food and drinking more water than me.

Thanks for your help.

AZ Brittany Guy

Re: Parvo

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:34 am

All you can do is keep a close eye on him and take your Vet's advise. Keep the pup away from other dogs and places that other dogs may frequent.

Good luck.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:05 am

Was your pup vaccinated? Check what it is for, parvo is usually given with a multi shot like the puppy shots I give my pups before they leave for their new homes.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:26 am

markj wrote:Was your pup vaccinated? Check what it is for, parvo is usually given with a multi shot like the puppy shots I give my pups before they leave for their new homes.
Very good point!

randomnut

Post by randomnut » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:33 am

markj wrote:Was your pup vaccinated? Check what it is for, parvo is usually given with a multi shot like the puppy shots I give my pups before they leave for their new homes.

Yes, pup has had both 7 and 10 week shots, both including the parvo vaccine. I didn't think it would keep him safe at such a young age, though.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:40 am

randomnut wrote:

Yes, pup has had both 7 and 10 week shots, both including the parvo vaccine. I didn't think it would keep him safe at such a young age, though.
That's why they give them to puppies....to protect them from this kind of thing. There are new strains of Parvo out there so it is not "failsafe" but odds are your pup should be ok.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:53 am

Just keep an eye on him closely for 2 weeks. And as stated above - do not let him play with other puppies! Until he's fully vaccinated (4 months), he should only be exposed to dogs with known vaccination history (adults are better than pups if they handle puppies well). Don't let your pup into areas where other puppies have been - including dog parks, rest stops, etc.

You will likely make it through this fine since your pup has had two shots - and you're keeping an eye on him as well. Any issues, get him to the vet ASAP and keep him hydrated.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:01 am

Definitely keep an eye out for symptoms. The reality is your pup has been exposed to parvo multiple times already.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:13 pm

MonsterDad wrote:Definitely keep an eye out for symptoms. The reality is your pup has been exposed to parvo multiple times already.
Exactly!

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:58 pm

dog dr wrote:
MonsterDad wrote:Definitely keep an eye out for symptoms. The reality is your pup has been exposed to parvo multiple times already.
Exactly!
Doc, I wasn't referring to the vaccinations. I read an article years back saying that over 90% of puppies are exposed to Parvo the first time they visit the Vet, either directly or from the owners shoes just walking in the clinic.

True?

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:40 am

I wasnt talking about vaccinations either. They get exposed to parvo almost anywhere other dogs have been. The virus is shed in the feces, so anywhere you'd find dog feces, you may find parvo virus. We get blamed occasionally when a pup comes down with parvo after it was in the clinic for something else, but i really doubt my daily disinfected clinic floor is any dirtier than the rest of the world. That being said, we encourage folks to carry their young (especially unvaccinated) pups into the clinic. More often than not they ignore us. So yes, the majority have been exposed multiplr times, im sure, but i wouldnt blame it all on the vet clinic floor.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:50 pm

I see parvo more in pups that are allowed to eat poo. Stop that and you should be OK, if pup don't do that well you are ahead of the curve.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:11 pm

A couple years ago I had a couple litter of pups exposed to parvo bad enough 2 pups got exposed and came down with it we were on the road to make matters worse ... ...The vet I took the two sick ones 2 and mind you these older pups did have a couple shots in their system.. they didn't get the virus as bad as many unvaccinated pups were dying from But the vet had me give all the rest of the pups parvo shots...I did Neo-Par on the younger pups which were 3 1/2 weeks old at the directions of the vet and the older pups the vet gave me 5 way shots for them. Might ask your vet their feelings on that.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:35 pm

We dealt with a lot of Parvo back in the 80's and early 90's in this area. Watched vaccinated and unvaccinated pups live and die from parvo. We can try to protect the young all we want. IMO bottom line is if pup or young dogs is going to get parvo their going to get it . My thoughts, if you know where a case of parvo has been or is stay clear for awhile. Parvo might be transmitted in the stool but parvo also lives in the ground where stool was. With out a dought the most sickening virus I've ever had to deal with in a dog. A smell you'll never forget....

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:40 am

Parvo is fairly common on the reservation near us. My vets treat it fairly regularly sometimes whole litters of four week old puppies. It does make me a little nervous when I have a dog there and find out they are treating dogs for Parvo. But I have never heard of any dog getting Parvo at their clinic. Parvo virus is easily killed with Clorox Bleach.
I bought a puppy that got Parvo a long time ago. It was the worst dog experience I ever had. Do not ever want to go there again.......................Cj

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:10 am

Ms. Cage wrote: We can try to protect the young all we want. IMO bottom line is if pup or young dogs is going to get parvo their going to get it .
95% or better of the parvo cases we treat are in UN-vaccinated dogs.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:16 am

[quote="dog dr"]Ms. Cage wrote: We can try to protect the young all we want. IMO bottom line is if pup or young dogs is going to get parvo their going to get it

.95% or better of the parvo cases we treat are in UN-vaccinated dogs.

Are the parvo vacs. better today then they were back in the 80's? We 'd see pups shipped in at 8 wks. with 2 sets of shots 2 ,3 days later , parvo. 3 month old pups up on shots parvo all the way up to a year old . I'm a big advocate of keeping up on shot and on time, no lapse . the older the dog was the better chance we had of the dog surviving. Just sharing past experience. Parvo IMO is nothing to take lightly.
Doc, were you a vet 25, 30 yrs ago ? 2,3 years ago there was a well known breeder who lost 25 pups to parvo. Went though his kennel like wild fire...

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:46 am

Ms. Cage wrote:
dog dr wrote:Ms. Cage wrote: We can try to protect the young all we want. IMO bottom line is if pup or young dogs is going to get parvo their going to get it

Are the parvo vacs. better today then they were back in the 80's? We 'd see pups shipped in at 8 wks. with 2 sets of shots 2 ,3 days later , parvo. 3 month old pups up on shots parvo all the way up to a year old . I'm a big advocate of keeping up on shot and on time, no lapse . the older the dog was the better chance we had of the dog surviving. Just sharing past experience. Parvo IMO is nothing to take lightly.
Doc, were you a vet 25, 30 yrs ago ? 2,3 years ago there was a well known breeder who lost 25 pups to parvo. Went though his kennel like wild fire...
They used live virus vaccine on three and four week old puppies to stopped the virus in that kennel. So maybe they are better.
I bought a puppy years back that got parvo and died for this reason I no longer buy puppies from people who do their own vaccinations. Might be fine but once was more than enough.....................Cj

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:12 pm

cjhills wrote:They used live virus vaccine on three and four week old puppies to stopped the virus in that kennel. So maybe they are better. I bought a puppy years back that got parvo and died for this reason I no longer buy puppies from people who do their own vaccinations. Might be fine but once was more than enough.....................Cj
I remember the live vaccine years ago that didn't pan out. As I remember most I know back then were using modified live and killed vaccine.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:52 pm

Ms. Cage wrote:
dog dr wrote:Ms. Cage wrote: We can try to protect the young all we want. IMO bottom line is if pup or young dogs is going to get parvo their going to get it

Nope, graduated vet school in '02. Have definitely treated my fair share of parvo though. We use modified live vaccine. And occasionally we see a pup that has been vaccinated come down with it. A few years ago i had a 3 yr old dog that had all its puppy shots and yearly boosters test positive. Vaccination does not prevent infection, it just primes the immune system to be able to deal with the infection. And yes, the older, more vaccinated dogs do recover faster when they do get sick.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:11 pm

dog dr wrote:
Ms. Cage wrote:

Nope, graduated vet school in '02. Have definitely treated my fair share of parvo though. We use modified live vaccine. And occasionally we see a pup that has been vaccinated come down with it. A few years ago i had a 3 yr old dog that had all its puppy shots and yearly boosters test positive. Vaccination does not prevent infection, it just primes the immune system to be able to deal with the infection. And yes, the older, more vaccinated dogs do recover faster when they do get sick.
Do you get much discussion on the three year protocol?

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:58 pm

Ms. Cage wrote:
cjhills wrote:They used live virus vaccine on three and four week old puppies to stopped the virus in that kennel. So maybe they are better. I bought a puppy years back that got parvo and died for this reason I no longer buy puppies from people who do their own vaccinations. Might be fine but once was more than enough.....................Cj
I remember the live vaccine years ago that didn't pan out. As I remember most I know back then were using modified live and killed vaccine.
Sorry you are right. I left out modified........Cj

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:07 am

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:
Do you get much discussion on the three year protocol?
No. I will offer the option of 1yr vs 3 yr vaccine, and answer any questions people might have, but the majority choose to stick with the 1 yr. Honestly, im afraid its because a lot of my clients are living paycjeck to paycheck, and even though in the long run the 3 yr will save them money, they either cant or dont want to pay the extra $ up front for the 3 yr vaccine. Same with heartworm and flea and tick prevention; many buy it 1 month at a time.