blood in urine

Petra

blood in urine

Post by Petra » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:02 am

Noticed drops of urine on the floor and the next day noticed blood in it, so I took my intact male to the vet. and did an ultra sound and noticed a spot that would be an abcess or a tumor. After alot of discussion I have decided to neuter him (just dropped him off) and not to do the needle biopsy also because of possible complications with that procedure. If the blood comes back after he is neutered it would mean definitely a tumor (mast cell) which will mean a very short time left. The vet who sees a lot of dogs from Riley's line stated that this problem is in the line. Sometimes I learn things the hard way. My last female taught me to not spay/neuter at too young of an age (my opinion) and now this male has shown me to not get a dog that is too strong of a line breeding (too many recessive genes can line up and we know the "bad things" hang out on them, and if I want a dog to be a good wild bird hunter, certain field trial training which I will not mention here) , (planted pen raised birds)hurts that and a lot of outings on wild birds will be needed to have them learn. Their natural instincts are better. But that is another discussion. Also, the statements that men have a difficult time neutering their dogs is not correct , being a women , I am having a very difficult time today dealing with this, I have been looking at him from the rear for 7 years, I imagine I will be staring at him for a while getting use to :"them" being gone. Almost put this in tribute to the departed. I wanted to post this to give the information to anyone that does not know how serious seeing blood at any amount in their urine can be. Noticed it in one of my females and it turned out to be the mast cell tumor and I only had 6 mo left with her.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: blood in urine

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:37 am

I had the same thing happen a month or two ago but we opted to do a round of antibiotics and all is well now.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:07 am

Hopefully neutering does the trick.

Good luck with everything.

Petra

Post by Petra » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:49 am

He is also on antibiotics and the blood went away after a few days meaning it is more likely an abscess. Will only know if it comes back after the neuter would definately be the tumor. I opted for the neuter because his sire had prblems and was neutered and a dog in the line that has the same grandfather is on and off antibi all the time , he is used as a sire the problem goes away for about a month and than back on antibi. did not want to go that route so decided to hopefully eliminate the problem. I had a few breedings lined up and because they would have been completely out of his lines would have hopefully eliminated this but there are more than enough good GSPs out there to do the job.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:59 pm

did they culture the urine?? any x-rays?? im not saying they are wrong, but the odds would be much higher that the dog has a severe bladder infection or bladder stones than a tumor. Could be a prostate infection as well. Hoping they did some other diagnostics besides just the ultrasound.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:29 pm

The only time I have had dogs with blood in the urine was from over exertion - but that is likely not likely in this case. If it is the case the blood will go away after a couple of days.

northshore

Post by northshore » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:12 pm

Blood going away after a few days of antibiotics is more indicative of a simple urinary infection rather than a more serious abscess. Unfortunately at his age the prostate begins to be a problem and neutering is the recommended cure for recurring UTIs. Sorry to hear you went through the worst with your previous dog(s), but that is the exception rather than the rule so don't feel you are necessarily on that path again.

Good choice on the fine needle aspiration. It is at best hit and miss with the only guarantee that it is extremely uncomfortable for the dog. I had a very illuminating experience at UC Davis when they told me my dog had jumped off the table while sedated and may have hurt himself. I brushed past the doc/instructor and into the room to find 5 students, most of whom had a turn at practicing the aspiration. So much for a top rated university. Fortunately he was not hurt, but that was the last and only time I ever left his side during any procedure (they had demanded it).

The surgeon who subsequently performed the neutering had no problem with me putting on a smock and mask and being by his side during that procedure. Hard to imagine anyone more concerned by arbitrary neutering, good to hear you also take it seriously but it is the proper step at this point.

Petra

Post by Petra » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:06 am

The ultrasound showed a fluid area in the prostate, more then likely an abscess/cyst, and with the other dogs not having a tumor it would likely be an infection, I just did not want him on and off antibiotics for this the rest of his life and neutering him would stop it by 99.99% . They did culture the urine but the word was inconclusive. Anyway no changing it now he is home had them do it with their laser and I am more bothered by it than him.