swollen bruised belly

oldbeek

swollen bruised belly

Post by oldbeek » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:15 am

My Britt was in a trial where the grass was 3ft tall so she was jumping through it. While retrieving a bird she leaped and landed on a burned out stump. Scraped her chest and under belly real bad. Her under belly back to her right leg is black and blue with a small abrasion on her right side. 3 days later there is swelling along the abrasion. She is active and I am not one to run to the vet with every problem. Any advice would be appreciated.

smittty

Re: swollen bruised belly

Post by smittty » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:39 am

I also am not one to run to the vet ...that being said .I think any swoleness on that part of a dog deserves a trip to the vet only because there is a lot of stuff that can be injured on that part of the dog that can go bad

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:52 am

is she acting normal? eating and stooling okay? If so, she probably just has an infection if the swelling is small and located at the abrasion. if she has a lot of bruising and swelling, it might be something more serious. it sounds like she needs to see the vet.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:57 pm

smittty wrote:I also am not one to run to the vet ...that being said .I think any swoleness on that part of a dog deserves a trip to the vet only because there is a lot of stuff that can be injured on that part of the dog that can go bad
X2
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:42 pm

I did go to the vet after the good advise. She was swollen about 4 inch long and 1 inch diameter on her left under belly. Got 10 days of antibiotics and I put on hot damp packs 3 times a day. Swelling almost gone today. Learned to rub stick antipersirant on her fur near the wound to stop licking.

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:26 pm

Ah! I like the idea about the stick anti-perspirant. Will keep that in mind for future use. Glad things turned out well for your dog (and you) :D

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:47 pm

Was it the vet who recommended that or.........
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:14 pm

Sharon wrote:Was it the vet who recommended that or.........
Yes the vet recommended the Hot packs to reduce the swelling. He also recommended the antiperspirant on her fur to stop licking the open wound that was originally just a abrasion but she kept irritating it with the licking.