Skin Issue on Dogs Ear

scsims

Skin Issue on Dogs Ear

Post by scsims » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:27 pm

I noticed today that my Brittany's was missing a little hair in one spot near the front edge of the left ear and there is dry flakey skin, possibly a little scabby too.

I figured I'd just watch it to see if it worsens but wanted to get your alls opinion as well.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417893874.389313.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417893896.160456.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417893964.364228.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Skin Issue on Dogs Ear

Post by Sharon » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:18 pm

Could be the beginning of mange , as mange often starts on the face somewhere.Is it itchy? If it gets worse see the vet.

( Very co operative patient. :) )

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/mange-dogs-c ... ies?page=2
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

scsims

Skin Issue on Dogs Ear

Post by scsims » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:39 am

Thank for the info, I had lab that had demodetic mange as a pup, but he started showing signs at 4 months. My Brit is right at a year old, so I wasn't sure if it would show up first at this age.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:24 pm

It can show up at any age. My 9 year old had it last year. Often almost impossible to find the critters with a scrape. My vet just gives the meds( Advantage 55 multi) and no problem. Not recommending you just buy it and use it. Do see the vet , because if your dog is on certain other meds for fleas/ticks/heartworm it may not be appropriate.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:05 pm

I really don't think it is mange. Looks more like a scratch that needs a little grease on it. Most anything would work such as a lotion or Bag Balm or Vasoline. But just watch it and see if it gets better, if not then mange might be the problem. But go to the easy way first and elinibate those problems before jumping into the more serious ones.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

scsims

Skin Issue on Dogs Ear

Post by scsims » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:18 pm

Thanks for the advice, was out training today and in the sun light I noticed thin hair under the left eye as well.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:28 pm

When we see patches like that on the faces of calves or foals, we think ringworm. I would be heading for the vet for a real diagnosis. Hope it turns out to be something easy and quick to fix. By the way, real cute pup and I love the upside-down shot.