at what point to consider stitches

chrokeva

at what point to consider stitches

Post by chrokeva » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:47 pm

This morning I took my little 9 month old field bred english cocker to the field. Even though I made sure she wore her skid plate she managed to get a good cut on her left knee. I think she got caught up in some blackberries. It is about a 3/4 of a inch long and fairly deep (photo below) and I am debating whether or not I should bring her in to the vet for stitches and a cone or just keep it clean and let it go. Wondering what others rule of thumb is for this type of thing? I am sure it is pretty common in hard hunting dogs but this is new to me. I have her wear her skid plate because a few weeks ago she got a cut on her belly but it was not nearly as deep. It seems every time she goes out she gets hurt because she runs so hard and through the very thickest stuff she can find :(
Any advise?
[URL=http://s37.photobucket.com/user/ch ... .jpg[/img][/url]

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: at what point to consider stitches

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:41 pm

Can't tell from that pic whether stitches are needed.

Almost any cut will eventually heal without stitches ; it's the possibility of infection that you have to worry about.

( I know this because I almost cut my thumb off at age 7 , from throwing beer bottles in the creek. My Mother said, "Oh , it will heal." 1940s and no one ran to the Dr........... It healed. :) )

I trust my vet so I'd go and ask her opinion. If the dog didn't need stitches , she'd say so.
Last edited by Sharon on Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:05 pm

Rule of Sharon's Thumb!
If it's the length of Sharon's thumb then it requires stitches.
Smaller does heal, but also requires to 'drain' ..any infection!..but infection requires antibiotic ! and that requires vet or vet prescription!
Rule of 'Thumb' ..Never take the advice of what you have in front of you before anything on a forum or anywhere else :wink:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:24 pm

Ah but it wasn't the length of my thumb. You assumed. Never assume on a forum. The cut went around my thumb 3/4 of the way. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:41 pm

Just go buy some Vetericyn and spray it 2 or 3 times a day.

chrokeva

Post by chrokeva » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:27 am

Thank you for the input!
I called my vet yesterday and they cannot see me until Thursday morning since it seems I have picked the busiest vet in the SF bay area! It sort of concerned me since it seems that they do not deal with ANY emergency situations and refer to a emergency hospital as they are almost always too busy to fit you in without a appointment. It may be time to look for a new vet :(
Anyway I am going to go ahead and pick up the Vetericyn (looks like good stuff) and keep a close eye on it till Wednesday evening and if it looks good I will cancel my vet appointment for Thursday.
Now if someone could give me advice on how to keep her from getting hurt while out in the field I would be forever it there debt :)
Jackie

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:39 am

No point in going to the vet after 48 hours anyway, they can't stitch it up at that point. Just keep an eye on it for infection - and if you're super concerned, just keep a running temp on your dog and if her temp goes up, then off you go to the vet. I usually keep a selection of antibiotics at home for just these emergencies - my vet prescribed them for me and I use them if needed instead of doing a vet visit. Not saying you shouldn't treat the dog, just saying that at this point (several days after injury), they can't stitch it up anyway - and if she isn't infected, then there is no need to waste the money on a vet visit.

And I second your thoughts, find a new vet that will be easier to get into if you have an emergency.

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:54 pm

If she can be handled well clip the hair and super glue the the cut about 95% closed (this will allow it to drain) also give the wound a light cleaning with an sterile alcohol wash you may have to wrap the leg so she does not tear it open. If it is real deep a few surgical staples will work even better.

Grant