How much more?

CDN_Cocker

How much more?

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:56 am

In general, how much more do you increase your dogs' feed by during hunting season? I know I should probably be feeding my guy more than I am but I find its like rocket fuel and makes him a menace around the house if I up it too much. What is your rule of thumb? I'm assuming everyone is feeding 30/20 or close to it. What does your off season look like compared to hunting?
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Re: How much more?

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:16 am

My "off season" feed amount is 2 cups per day plus a snack or 2... During the peak of season they could be up to 6 cups per day plus supplements. It comes down to a simple equation, calories out VS calories in...Look at the dog and don't be afraid to run them a little thin. Its easier on their body to run a little thin. It all comes down to calories though. What food you feed, the individual dog and how much you really work them.. On days when not in the field, are they stagnant? If so, feed is adjusted . IMO

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:01 am

Every dog I have or have had needs just enough to keep them in shape and that differs with each. You can not read a bag or ask on the internet to find out how much your dog needs. You have to look at your dog and he will tell you.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:21 am

My young GWP got a little fat last winter (my fault), finally got it all off of her while conditioning for hunting season. She lost 9lbs, coming down from 63 to 54. 54lbs is perfect weight for her. She gets 2.5 cups/day of Pro Plan Sport right now with an extra cup the afternoon before each hunting day. Once winter hits and we quit doing 40-50 miles every weekend I'll drop it to 2 cups and pay better attention to her figure to adjust from there.

YMMV

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:38 pm

This is a good question, and it made me think of how much I increase feed during hunting season or heavy training. Our smaller Britt is 32 or 33 lb in trim condition. In the off season, she gets about 1 3/4 cups feed split into two meals. When she is in work, that would be increased 25 to 30 percent, so she would be getting 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 cups per day, split into two meals. I feed by label recommendations to begin with, but body condition score the dogs one or two times per week to make sure they are where they need to be. It is easy to catch them gaining or dropping weight too fast, and make a correction. We feed Nutrisource Super Performance, which is 32/21, and they are doing fine on it. When our GSP pup was about 3 to 7 months old, she was getting 4 cups of feed per day, split into two or three meals. She looked like a bone rack, and man, could she put away food. She was getting about an inch taller each week. Once her growth rate slowed down, we cut her back to about 3 1/2 cups per day, with more added when she is working hard.

Love to see pics of your grand little dog, and hear about his latest adventures. Have a great time in the field with him this fall.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:15 pm

It does not matter what I feed mine.
If they have been worked they sleep. If they have not been worked they are a menace.
If they are a menace then they have not been worked. (Mind or body)
No Food or fuel can or ever will compete with this.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:43 am

polmaise wrote:It does not matter what I feed mine.
If they have been worked they sleep. If they have not been worked they are a menace.
If they are a menace then they have not been worked. (Mind or body)
No Food or fuel can or ever will compete with this.
Not sure how to interpret this? :?: Are you saying that HARD working dogs don't need more food (or different diet) than couch potatoes who get their "mind" worked do? It really is a simple matter of, calories out = calories in. Anything more leads to weight gain, anything less leads to loss of weight. It doesn't matter what food you prefer but the dogs condition (look) and weight will dictate the amount.

I have dogs that no matter how much they have been worked, they are still A "menace" when not being worked. That has nothing to do with conditioning. Maybe I misread the OP though.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:55 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote: I have dogs that no matter how much they have been worked, they are still A "menace" when not being worked. That has nothing to do with conditioning. Maybe I misread the OP though.
Every second you are with your dog you are training it, even if you are doing 'nothing' :wink:
When mine are doing nothing they are not a menace ,they have been trained to do nothing .
The food question 'Red Herring' had very little to do with it.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:04 pm

polmaise wrote:
Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote: I have dogs that no matter how much they have been worked, they are still A "menace" when not being worked. That has nothing to do with conditioning. Maybe I misread the OP though.
Every second you are with your dog you are training it, even if you are doing 'nothing' :wink:
When mine are doing nothing they are not a menace ,they have been trained to do nothing .
The food question 'Red Herring' had very little to do with it.
Not meaning to derail this but I would love to know how to train them to do nothing. Short of getting old I don't see how but then again, I would rather have the "menace". I can Take that and mold it.

I answered the OP already.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:31 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:What does your off season look like compared to hunting?
For me personally Cass. There is no difference but then I appreciate that some only hunt theirs during certain times of the year.
This is summer on the Bucks

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:37 pm

This is Autumn on the Grouse

And this is Winter having fun .

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:39 pm

This is Spring looking great after a hard winter shooting 5 days a week.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:26 am

polmaise wrote:
CDN_Cocker wrote:What does your off season look like compared to hunting?
For me personally Cass. There is no difference but then I appreciate that some only hunt theirs during certain times of the year.
This is summer on the Bucks
We only have certain seasons for hunting. For me most upland and waterfowl hunting is only allowed from mod September till the end of December. Rabbit season is also during that time but is open till March (mind you i don't really hunt rabbit). I train all year but hunting is really only about 3 months long for me.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:20 pm

vive la difference