need advise on feeding

oldbeek

need advise on feeding

Post by oldbeek » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:31 am

My pup (1 yr) is off her food last 2 days, Purina Pro Plan Sport. Seems a little lethargic. She covered the field nicely in training today. Can anyone offer a change up in food? I haven't seen her vomit, but her stool is loose.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: need advise on feeding

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:41 am

Don't change her food just because she isn't eating as much as she did a couple of days ago. Dogs, just like us are not always as hungry as we were yesterday or maybe just don't feel as good. That is normal. If you want to do something just cut back on her feed for a day or two and I will bet she will be right back to normal with a better stool.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:16 pm

I have a 15 month old that does NOT put weight on so I thought I would increase his intake. I only feed 1x per day and this increase really messed with his digestive system, to the point of loose and RUNNY stools. I contacted a Purina rep and he suggested feeding 2x per day to help him digest all the calories and solidify his stools. It has helped....Watch the intake and don't be afraid to cut back and/or feed 2x per day.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:31 pm

Take her temp amd if it's elevated, get an appointment with your vet. Lethargic = doesn't feel good.

gamekeeper

Post by gamekeeper » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:22 pm

Loose stools is often parasites.My opinion on feeding is raising a dog on dry food is like raising your kids on Special K they will survive.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:54 pm

Took pup to a vet. A few days ago the pup ate some pork ribs (leftovers). The vet said pork in any form can cause an inflamed pancreas. X-rayed for bones and took a blood sample. Shure enough pancreasitus. She is on a low fat diet when she starts to eat again and pedolite. Never heard of pork being bad for dogs in 40 years of owning them. 73 and still learning.

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:27 am

Thanks for the info!