Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete

CoolHandLukeGSP

Post by CoolHandLukeGSP » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:30 pm

Anyone feeding this? I am looking to take my pup off of the Diamond naturals Puppy and put him on this as we get ready to start hunting season. Just curious about the feeding recommendations, which is a lot less than the puppy food.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete

Post by cjhills » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:13 pm

I did not have real good luck with extreme athlete. The dogs always had loose stools. I feed Diamond performance and the do very well on that. I may have fed to much........................Cj

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:15 am

I've been feeding EA for a 2-3 years now and don't have any intention to switch to something else. Six dogs (15 months - 12 years+) and no complaints. Overfeeding can be a problem, stools can get sloppy, so start with a smaller portion and gradually add more until you get to that sweet spot. Feeding smaller amounts twice a day keeps my hard keepers in good weight without messy stools.
My youngest dog has been on EA from eight weeks old.
EA is easily available in my area at a good price. I like the consistency of the product, it doesn't seem to change color or odor from bag to bag.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:00 am

I have been feeding it for a few years and love it but it is getting hard to find locally so I may have to switch. :cry:

Lucky Dog

Post by Lucky Dog » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:12 pm

I've always fed Diamond Naturals chicken and rice.
I have one pointer that just would never put on any weight, so a month ago I put him on Extreme Athlete, I swear within a week I could see a difference. After a month, he is perfect on weight, and his energy is off the charts.

I'm sold. :D

cutty72

Post by cutty72 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:05 pm

Loved the extreme athlete until it got difficult to find locally.
Switched to Diamond Performance, until I got Luci my lab/wirehair. Found she had a corn alergy, so now I have both of them on 4health Performance. Easily available and good price. Also, no alergy issues.

CoolHandLukeGSP

Post by CoolHandLukeGSP » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:37 pm

So Shags, Brazos, and Lucky Dog, have you found the smaller recommended portions acceptable for your dogs?

10Sam29

Post by 10Sam29 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:47 pm

I just put my 2 year GWP on 4Health Performance. I wanted a little more protein for hunting season. His stools are firm, and he has a lot of energy. I also feed my 150lb G-Dane the same. His stools firmed up greatly (thank Gawd). 8 cups of his old food made a LOT of clean up. He also has a problem digesting corn. This food has no grains.

Lucky Dog

Post by Lucky Dog » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:18 pm

CoolHandLukeGSP wrote:So Shags, Brazos, and Lucky Dog, have you found the smaller recommended portions acceptable for your dogs?
Yes, my pointer started putting on weight right away.
I'm slowly scaling back his portions, but it has not been long enough for me to say how much less he needs yet. Hunting season just started also, so his food needs are going up from his activity level also.

Mu gut tells me he will probably go from 5 cups of chicken and rice to 3-4 cups per day of EA. Probably a little less on the off season.

Luminary Setters

Post by Luminary Setters » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:07 pm

I been feeding EA for close to four years, and feed 15-30 dogs a month. I have been very pleased with the dogs health, cost and availability.
Hunter Payne

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:23 am

CoolHandLukeGSP wrote:So Shags, Brazos, and Lucky Dog, have you found the smaller recommended portions acceptable for your dogs?
I have no idea idea what the recommended amount is, never even read that part of the bag. I let the dogs tell me how much they need.

My setters weigh from 47 to 61 pounds. The easy keepers get just under 2cups a day, my hard keeper gets just over 2 cups, and the big boy, at 15 months, gets 3-4 cups split into morning and evening meals.

The jumping off point is a bit smaller amount of a gradual mix of new to current one. Observe stools, body condition, and behavior ( is he walking away from his bowl or devouring it?) over the course of that week-10 days. Adjust from there. IME with EA weight gain is noticeable within a week to ten days, weight loss about the same. Both depending on activity levels of course.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:48 am

I fed 2 cups per day of EA for all of my dogs during the off season. I just wish that I could rely on finding it locally.