Which feed is good for teeth cleaning?

Hondo

Post by Hondo » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:03 pm

Hi Everyone,

My 4 year old lab is going to the vet on Wednesday for a teeth cleaning. She has a canine tooth that looks bad at the gum line. I was told she needed to have her teeth cleaned or she would start losing some.

Unfortunately, she is not much of a chewer. I did read some past posts on the forum and bought Twistix dental dog treats which she seems to like and the greenies. I read someone recommending green tripe as a good dental aid.

I have a horrible time trying to brush her teeth and stopped doing it. I guess I better start trying again.

I currently feed her Loyal Acitve Adult but would consider changing feeds to one that would help keep her teeth cleaner. From what I read, some feeds that have a harder kibble to chew on and a certain size kibble tend to keep the teeth cleaner. There is also some ingredient whose name I do not know which is supposed to help with teeth cleaning.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Hondo

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Re: Which feed is good for teeth cleaning?

Post by birddogger » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:06 pm

IMO, most any dry food is fine. BTW, I have never had to have a dog's teeth cleaned. 8)

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Hondo

Post by Hondo » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:41 pm

birddogger wrote:IMO, most any dry food is fine. BTW, I have never had to have a dog's teeth cleaned. 8)

Charlie
What's your secret?

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:00 pm

I give my dogs a raw bone to work on for an hour or so every few weeks and they scrape just about everything off for $5.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:28 am

Garrison wrote:I give my dogs a raw bone to work on for an hour or so every few weeks and they scrape just about everything off for $5.
Deer antlers free :wink:

Grant

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:32 pm

Hondo wrote:
birddogger wrote:IMO, most any dry food is fine. BTW, I have never had to have a dog's teeth cleaned. 8)

Charlie
What's your secret?
Like Garrison, I give them a bone from time to time. IME, they don't' require the same care as a child or any other human does.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

SCT

Post by SCT » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:59 pm

raw chicken necks a coup;e times a week.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:36 am

Hondo wrote:Hi Everyone,

My 4 year old lab is going to the vet on Wednesday for a teeth cleaning. She has a canine tooth that looks bad at the gum line. I was told she needed to have her teeth cleaned or she would start losing some.

Unfortunately, she is not much of a chewer. I did read some past posts on the forum and bought Twistix dental dog treats which she seems to like and the greenies. I read someone recommending green tripe as a good dental aid.

I have a horrible time trying to brush her teeth and stopped doing it. I guess I better start trying again.

I currently feed her Loyal Acitve Adult but would consider changing feeds to one that would help keep her teeth cleaner. From what I read, some feeds that have a harder kibble to chew on and a certain size kibble tend to keep the teeth cleaner. There is also some ingredient whose name I do not know which is supposed to help with teeth cleaning.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Hondo
The high carbohydrate content of most foods is responsible for tartar and the ensuing gum disease. Some dogs don't seem to have a problem though. I would try a food with low carbohydrates like many of the grain free foods, because they pretty much tend to have high protein and fat and lower carbohydrate. It is not because they are grain free its just that they are generally lower carb.

The most economical and easiest to find is Taste of the Wild. The kibble pieces of grain free foods are also much harder. Teeth cleaning and dental work in general is very expensive, far more than what a better feed would cost.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:12 am

Speed of buildup and degree of accumulation on teeth is about the individual dog and it's "chemistry", imo.....fit & try all aspects.
Would one food be best?...don't know, doubt it for other than that individual dog....tho soft food would seem to carry it's own burdens.

A good teeth cleaning, below and above the gum line, is a sound idea.....especially done so that no scratched teeth result, which would increase the surface area of the tooth and so essentially give more area for accumulations to....accumulate.

See a dog go through mega-esophagus might make some consider the wisdom of antler chewing.
Assuming that larger antlers stay large is....optimistic.
Monitor chewing well.
Good luck...it only takes once.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:00 am

One (USA) Pig Ear per day.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:44 pm

[quote="Doc E"]One (USA) Pig Ear per day.

.[/quote

That has little help....sorry

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:37 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:
Doc E wrote:One (USA) Pig Ear per day.

Huh :?:
I have NEVER had a dog with dirty teeth or tartar (plaque) when I used Pig Ears.

and

Hondo

Post by Hondo » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:59 pm

MonsterDad,

I have been trying to find more information on grain free feed being better for teeth because of the lower amount of carbohydrates (sugar) in the feed.

I couldn't find anything.

However, this does make sense to me on why it would help with teeth.

My questions would be: 1). Why wouldn't owners feed their pets grain free and save lots of money down the road on expensive dental bills.

2). Why isn't there more information or research on the internet on this if feeding a lower carbohydrate food does help with teeth health?

3). Is any grain free feed better for teeth health or is there one that stands out?

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:10 pm

Uh-oh.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:55 am

Doc E wrote:
Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:
Doc E wrote:One (USA) Pig Ear per day.

Huh :?:
I have NEVER had a dog with dirty teeth or tartar (plaque) when I used Pig Ears.

I regularly use pig ears as treats but I have a 3yr old GSP that has lost 3 K9s. I also give them bones and brush their teeth. Some dogs just have problems.

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:35 pm

Go the freezer section of your nearest Raley's meat department and pick up a few packages of beef soup bones. Give your dog one every few days and you should be good to go.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:14 pm

mtlhdr wrote:Go the freezer section of your nearest Raley's meat department and pick up a few packages of beef soup bones. Give your dog one every few days and you should be good to go.
Great way to break molars :roll:

and

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:32 pm

Doc E wrote:
mtlhdr wrote:Go the freezer section of your nearest Raley's meat department and pick up a few packages of beef soup bones. Give your dog one every few days and you should be good to go.

I have heard this but never saw it happen.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:19 pm

Charlie
Me either Hondo . Never had a dog with a dental problem or needing to have its teeth cleaned. Maybe just lucky .MIne chew soup bones occasionally but aren't big chewers.(Also feed dry with water.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:48 am

ezzy333 wrote:
Doc E wrote:

I have heard this but never saw it happen.
Me neither. Until it happened to TWO of my dogs on the same day, and both were severe enough to require extractions. A very expensive way to keep teeth clean on the cheap :?

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:52 pm

Hondo wrote:MonsterDad,

I have been trying to find more information on grain free feed being better for teeth because of the lower amount of carbohydrates (sugar) in the feed.

I couldn't find anything.

However, this does make sense to me on why it would help with teeth.

My questions would be: 1). Why wouldn't owners feed their pets grain free and save lots of money down the road on expensive dental bills.

2). Why isn't there more information or research on the internet on this if feeding a lower carbohydrate food does help with teeth health?

3). Is any grain free feed better for teeth health or is there one that stands out?
I really can't answer #1 but since a cleaning where I live costs a minimum of $500 it certainly makes sense to avoid it.

For #3 the lowest in carbs, so that would be EVO. The red meat EVO is a really good food.

The chemistry of the mouth plays a role but still lower carbohydrates equals less plaque and less plaque equals less tarter.

Even if someone's dog doesn't have an issue, there is really no way to argue against this.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:54 pm

I've heard raw chicken or turkey necks, but have yet to try it, I'm afraid the raw food cult might get their hooks in and not let me go................ :lol:

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:31 pm

I'd like to caution anyone who is using larger raw bones or deer antlers: this can wind up costing you $$ for dental work!

We recently had to pay about $1270 to have two of our dog's molars removed because one had been fractured vertically straight down the middle and the other had the top broken off -- all due to the deer antlers.

Needless to say, no more of those around our house!
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

frontline

Post by frontline » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:01 pm

Try feeding a food instead of a feed. Bwahahahahaha

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:14 pm

The teeth cleaning ingredient some food manufacturers add is hxametaphosphate. Honestly, the only food I've seen have an impact on gunky teeth is Hill's t/d.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:09 pm

I don't think it is possible to clean teeth with food. If a kibble food company claims their product can keep teeth clean, I would be very skeptical and view it as some type of marketing gimmick.
A good bird dog is always the right color

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:32 pm

What I have found that works great is pro den 420 GRAMS Will last the average 2 years for a brittany as you only need to add a tiny little scoop on to their food
I have found it at Amazon for about 75-80 bucks including shipping

Takes about three weeks and you will start to see the tartar start to come off
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.