Flea control?

jack the dog

Flea control?

Post by jack the dog » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:49 am

I have used for the past several years Frontline Plus on my Britts.
But last year it didn't seem to have much effect on the flea population.
I treat the ground where the dogs are but the Frontline didn't seem to help.
What works for you guys?
Thanks
Let me always be the person my dog thinks I am.

Brit1432

Re: Flea control?

Post by Brit1432 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:56 am

Our vet recommended Vectra3d and it seems to be working so far. We've run in thick stuff (timber, brome, switchgrass, etc...) on pretty warm days (warm enough to get pests moving, I think) and he's had yet to come home with a single flea, tick, or anything else on him. Knock on wood. My vet told me that a lot of it has to do with the bug population around a certain area becoming immune to a certain type of treatment which is why she recommended Vectra as it was relatively new. I hope our good luck holds as it continues to warm up around here!

smittty

Post by smittty » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:07 pm

I also was having good success with frount line but then the year before least the fleas set in so bad and it like stoped working.. now I am using bayer tree & and shrub on the dogs and no more fleas

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:37 pm

Advantix 2 . I haven't seen a tick or a flea for many years. Started treatment April 1. Soon as blades of green grass appear , the fleas are hatching , according to my vet. $87.00 for 6 month supply from the vet. Can be bought at PetMeds and E bay too. Make sure weight numbers are correct.
Last edited by Sharon on Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Beretta14

Post by Beretta14 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:23 am

We wanted to try a more natural approach so we use both of the products listed below. In two years we only found one tick on our Golden. The spray gives our GSP dandruff so I put coconut oil after the spray dries and it helps. The both eat the garlic pills like they are a treat.

Vet's Best Natural Flea + Tick Home Spray, 32 oz
http://amzn.com/B003PRI6OC

NaturVet 5000 Count Brewer's Dried Yeast Formula with Omegas Tablets for Dogs and Cats
http://amzn.com/B0011RTGGA

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:25 am

Beretta14 wrote:We wanted to try a more natural approach so we use both of the products listed below. In two years we only found one tick on our Golden. The spray gives our GSP dandruff so I put coconut oil after the spray dries and it helps. The both eat the garlic pills like they are a treat.

Vet's Best Natural Flea + Tick Home Spray, 32 oz
http://amzn.com/B003PRI6OC

NaturVet 5000 Count Brewer's Dried Yeast Formula with Omegas Tablets for Dogs and Cats
http://amzn.com/B0011RTGGA
Just because its "natural" doesn't mean its safe. These products are all about tested toxicology, not whether something is natural or not. That first product has clove extract or oil in it. Yes, it does kill bugs but it is also toxic to dogs and cats.

Anything natural or synthetic that kills something else is equally dangerous at some level.

I like the Seresto collar myself and I have found nothing more effective or better value.

Beretta14

Post by Beretta14 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:45 pm

Monsterdad can you send a link or anything on where you read clove extract is toxic? I haven't read anything but good things so its a little alarming.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:16 am

jack the dog wrote:I have used for the past several years Frontline Plus on my Britts.
What works for you guys?
Thanks
K9 Advatix II here in FL for our GSPs. They are in the field at least 3x week all year round & this seems to do the trick against fleas, ticks & mosquitoes. Several people have discontinued using Frontline because it doesn't seem to be as effective.

FWIW,
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:26 pm

Beretta14 wrote:Monsterdad can you send a link or anything on where you read clove extract is toxic? I haven't read anything but good things so its a little alarming.
The toxic compound in clove is called Eugenol just Google it. My point is that the toxicology on things like clove are unknown. You can't assume these things are safe just because they are labelled "natural" or "holistic"

Yarrow is another that is toxic that shows up in these fleas and tick treatments.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:31 am

MonsterDad wrote:
Beretta14 wrote:Monsterdad can you send a link or anything on where you read clove extract is toxic? I haven't read anything but good things so its a little alarming.
The toxic compound in clove is called Eugenol just Google it. My point is that the toxicology on things like clove are unknown. You can't assume these things are safe just because they are labelled "natural" or "holistic"

Yarrow is another that is toxic that shows up in these fleas and tick treatments.
+1

Unfortunately, most "natural" products or supplements are unregulated by the Food & Drug Admin, something that gives me cause for concern. They can make unsubstantiated claims as to an ingredient's efficacy and no one disputes it because it's "natural".

Also, natural is not always better: you never know the actual strength of the desired chemical or its purity. You may not be able to achieve a therapeutic level of a chemical in it's "natural" state because it isn't concentrated or potent enough to be useful.

Which brings me back to chemicals. Your body (or that of your pet) converts these natural ingredients to chemicals. So saying that something is "natural & not a chemical" is misleading.

I'm all for "natural" & "holistic" but sometimes it's just not logical.

Getting off my soapbox now,
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:20 am

Submariner, you did good while on your soap box
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

shets114

Post by shets114 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:15 pm

Submariner. Two thumbs up!

All the hype behind holistic and all natural is way over blown on safety. I'll stick with the product that has been tried and tested.

Big bloc

Post by Big bloc » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:29 am

Please DO NOT try the natural stuff like pennyroyal oil. My brother in law put some on this dog because he wanted to be natural and the dog died. That was the last time he tried any thing like that
Never ever tease a gundog. Build rapport

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:32 am

Big bloc wrote:Please DO NOT try the natural stuff like pennyroyal oil. My brother in law put some on this dog because he wanted to be natural and the dog died. That was the last time he tried any thing like that
Tea Tree Oil is another thing that pops up in natural flea and tick treatments and like Yarrow Flower, is on the ASPCA list of toxic compounds.

reba

Post by reba » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:34 pm

Flea control is a big circle.

Treat the dog and inside the house at the same time. Then when the dog goes outside he picks up fleas and brings them back in.

Treat the dog, inside the house, the kennel and the property. Take him off the property and the dogs brings them home.

Wait I forgot to treat the cats that were most likely the first problem.

GOOD LUCK!

Better yet move to above 3500 feet or higher and never go to the beach.

An easy way to rid your house of fleas, is to invite your buddy and his dog over, so all your fleas will jump on his dog. Wait will his dogs fleas jump off at your house?

Yikes!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:21 pm

SubMariner wrote:
jack the dog wrote:I have used for the past several years Frontline Plus on my Britts.
What works for you guys?
Thanks
K9 Advatix II here in FL for our GSPs. They are in the field at least 3x week all year round & this seems to do the trick against fleas, ticks & mosquitoes. Several people have discontinued using Frontline because it doesn't seem to be as effective.

FWIW,
We Canadians are ordering it from the USA too. Not available here yet.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett