Interdigital cysts on GSP

ElkMtnGSP

Interdigital cysts on GSP

Post by ElkMtnGSP » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:26 am

This winter has been one heck of a time on our little pup and this just added to the mix.

She has developed some interdigital cysts and bloody paws over the last few days. (easy to spot due to snow)

What causes this in GSP's and any quick remedies or words of advice?

Yes, we have made an appointment for the vet (in two days) but in the meantime I figured I would ask here for any advice.

I will post photos this afternoon.

Thanks in advance!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Interdigital cysts on GSP

Post by Sharon » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:03 pm

Common. I don't see the vet initially anymore for that. Imagine running around in your bare feet. :) Stuff happens. Bacteria gets in small cuts.

I soak the foot in Epsom salt/ warm water 3-4 times a day , and it's gone before you know it.

If not , I see the vet for a topical and/or systemic antibiotic.

http://www.collienet.com/health%20topic ... lcysts.htm
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:01 pm

Snow especially crusty snow will tear up any dogs feet...I too use Epsom salt. I also use cut heal ( from tractor supply) on slipped or raw pads and edges of pads. As well as bag balm on dry cracked pads.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ElkMtnGSP

Post by ElkMtnGSP » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:09 pm

We've used bag balm (stains carpets fyi) , udder cream (same ingredients less stain) , and paw guard to protect against frostbite + give some protection.

As well as dog sledding booties as much as possible.

Epsom Salts were done last night.

Is this something that is will show up again?

I read a few places and on GDForum about lancing the cysts to force the fluid out. Some even went as far as to use a scalpel and open the area to force the fluid out. Wouldn't this be an extremely radical approach?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:48 pm

ElkMtnGSP wrote:We've used bag balm (stains carpets fyi) , udder cream (same ingredients less stain) , and paw guard to protect against frostbite + give some protection.

As well as dog sledding booties as much as possible.

Epsom Salts were done last night.

Is this something that is will show up again?

I read a few places and on GDForum about lancing the cysts to force the fluid out. Some even went as far as to use a scalpel and open the area to force the fluid out. Wouldn't this be an extremely radical approach?
Quite possibly, but I only have about 2 cyst problems per dog in that dog's lifetime. ( I'd never lance the cyst.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:26 pm

The best way to toughen feet is from the inside out (of course roading them for the outside-in effect).
50 mg Zinc Gluconate three times a week for a month and then once a week for maintenance.

ElkMtnGSP

Post by ElkMtnGSP » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:32 am

The two photos are what the affected areas look like.

Our vet said 100% they are not interdigital cysts but he said he didn't know for sure exactly what it was either.

Argh!!!

He sent my girlfriend off with 250 mg tablets of Cefa to be taken twice daily.

Is there anyway to avoid the antibiotics?

This is the third round we have given this pup in 6 months by the way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:54 am

I would follow the vets recommendation. That's is why we go to them and it is what they have studied. it is easy to find all sorts of info on the net and you have no way to know if it is accurate or whether it could kill your dog. I just have a lot of problems with people who go to a vet and then feel more comfortable with some advice from a person tou do not know and that has never seen your dog or know what the problem really is. Antibiotics will not hurt your dog though I too do not like to medicate unless absolutely have to.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ElkMtnGSP

Post by ElkMtnGSP » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:03 am

Agree completely about the schooling.

What I don't agree with is the casualness of prescribing antibiotics.

Additionally no other recommendation was given other then to administer the meds. Should I disinfect the house as best as possible or is it possible this may have been picked up from a dog at the boarding facility she was staying for the last 3 weeks.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:09 am

I've taken care of a mess of dogs in and out of crowded kennels and never seen anything like that. I too would follow the vets advice. I might also call around and email pictures to some university vet hospitals.

Hope you find an answer.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

bruns333

Post by bruns333 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:29 am

I have had those same sores on at least 2 maybe 3 of my GSP's. They seem to show up in early spring and I think it is from a foreign body in the paw from the underside that gets infected. Some have swelled up and had those same white tops on the top of the paw. I remember my dogs coming back with large locust thorns in their pads and then a couple of weeks later those developed. Maybe a small piece of something is still in there or maybe the wound allows for bacteria to get in causing the inflammation. Warm salt soak helped and they either went away on their own or the dogs chewed and licked and fixed the problem. I did try the vet/anitbiotic route and it didn't seem to speed or change the condition. When I have done some minor poking have found what looks like hairs growing in them.

Hope this helps

Matt