Searching for a new dog food...

jwnissen

Searching for a new dog food...

Post by jwnissen » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:50 am

So yet another dog food question. I have searched through old posts and most of them are about 1 or 2 brands and I dont have a lot of time to search them all. I have a 2.5 year old female shorthair around 55lbs and am currently feeding Eukanuba premium performance and I really like it. The problem is that the price keeps going up and it appears that the packaging is going to get smaller. Currently it is $55 for 33lbs and occasionally I can buy kennel bags (44lbs for $55) through my trainer, when he has it, but he is 2.5 hours away. I know everyone has their own opinion about which one is best so I'm asking what you feed, why and how well you like it compared to what you fed before that. I don't like to change, but I need a QUALITY food for a little less money and readily available. I have used blue buffalo and eagle pack, but we could not keep weight on her while she was at the trainers on these foods. She really does well on Eukanuba so im looking for something of similar quality. I have seen a lot on Purina pro plan and am looking into that. Thanks for your input, I look forward to reading your responses.

John

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Searching for a new dog food...

Post by shags » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:11 pm

My trainer feeds Pro Plan Sport ( I think it's Sport, used to be Performance, any way the purple bag) and his string looks and does well on it. I feed Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete and am very happy with it. I used to feed Taste of The Wild but it got too pricey, and the EA is as good if not better in my estimation. The thing is, with high-octane dog foods I have used, I have to be careful with the rations because a little too much causes gas/loose stools. My hard keeper gets two meals a day to maintain weight without those issues.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:42 pm

Wow Euk is expensive there, it is $42.99 for 33lb near me, but that will be $42.99 for 29lbs soon.

Given the efficiency of internet buying and the fact it is sales tax free, you may want to look into something like Dr. Tim's on Chewy.com.

Cheaper than what you are paying for Euk.

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:17 pm

You could check for food Victor. It's 5 star on the dog food analysis thing and is about $32.00 for a 40 lb bag. We get it at the local co-op. We also like Native 3 and just recently switched to Purina Pro Plan Tuna and Rice.

Carla

BigJake

Post by BigJake » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:25 pm

As mentioned victor is a good one, another one is fromm, and another is America natural, it is made at the fromm plant in Wisconsin. All three of these have good price points and are great food. I work at a small kennel and this is what we feed, the dogs all do great on it. My personal dog is on the fromm gold, great food, great company.

bossman

Post by bossman » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:58 pm

We've been feeding Victor for about two years. Very happy. Buy it at our local feed store.

lugmastro

Post by lugmastro » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:06 am

I had really good luck with Diamond performance, but I have a supply issue. I switched to 4health, tractor supply, and have been very happy. It does not bankrupt you at all.
"A person may cause evil to others not only by his action but by his inaction, and in either case he is justly accountable to them for the injury." John Stuart Mill

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:08 am

Thanks for the replies and please keep them coming. I am leaning towards victor but the closest place to buy it is 35 miles away. Online it is $52 a bag unless someone knows where to get it cheaper. Thanks again

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:16 am

Just ran across a lawsuit from the end of 2012 into 2013. What are your thoughts about that? Anything to be concerned about or just a fluke incident? I like the price per lb but dont want to chance another bad batch.

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:14 pm

Pro Plan 30/20 is the simple answer to your question, assuming it is convenient for you to purchase. Little bigger bag (37.5lb) at less cost. However, if you're in Washington, I would assume you have access to some sled dog formulas.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:56 am

You risk a "bad batch" with any brand you buy. Same as you do at the grocery store when you purchase ground beef or salad greens, or include a dish of cole slaw with your meal from KFC. Dog food manufacturers learn from and fix mistakes. Although lawsuits push them in that regard, there are always folks looking to make a buck from misfortune so sometimes suits need to be taken with a grain of salt. All in all, I prefer to buy from a company that has voluntary recalls when there might be a problem, so have no concerns with Diamond; who knows what those which don't issue them are letting slide? You can check the USDA website and view a list of recalls and see that many many brands are listed.

No matter the brand, it's probably a good idea to store your dogfood in the original packaging rather than dumping it into a bin. That way if there is any concern you have all the lot number info etc that you need to ascertain safety.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:12 am

shags wrote:You risk a "bad batch" with any brand you buy. Same as you do at the grocery store when you purchase ground beef or salad greens, or include a dish of cole slaw with your meal from KFC. Dog food manufacturers learn from and fix mistakes. Although lawsuits push them in that regard, there are always folks looking to make a buck from misfortune so sometimes suits need to be taken with a grain of salt. All in all, I prefer to buy from a company that has voluntary recalls when there might be a problem, so have no concerns with Diamond; who knows what those which don't issue them are letting slide? You can check the USDA website and view a list of recalls and see that many many brands are listed.

No matter the brand, it's probably a good idea to store your dogfood in the original packaging rather than dumping it into a bin. That way if there is any concern you have all the lot number info etc that you need to ascertain safety.
This storage suggestion is not a suggestion for the industry but rather a must situation. The law requires all ingredients be stored in a container that includes the name and lot number.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

reba

Post by reba » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:17 pm

If you are near a COSTCO Kirkland dog food is a deal for the quality.

We have been feeding five dogs on it with the oldest being 12 years.

I have in my lifetime feed many brand name dog foods and Kirkland's quality is right up there with the best.

Three of these dogs are big hard runners, one is a little rodent and the other is just a dog.

Yes I measure every cup fed to each and every dog.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:35 pm

We have been feeding Nutri-Source products for a few years now and have been very pleased. They also have a great track record for quality control having never needed a recall.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:38 am

Anyone else use Kirkland brand and like it? Looks like a good food and readily available.

Thanks again for everyones feedback, definitely giving me some more options.

John

reba wrote:If you are near a COSTCO Kirkland dog food is a deal for the quality.

I have in my lifetime feed many brand name dog foods and Kirkland's quality is right up there with the best.

Three of these dogs are big hard runners, one is a little rodent and the other is just a dog.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:36 am

Pup was raised on Science Diet puppy food and did well..the transition to adult was a little tricky because pup clearly just didn't particularly like and do consistently well on much...kirklands, Science Diet, etc. Finally settled into the Merrick (sp?) line of foods...dog does great on it, likes it, and is very consistent w/it - we add a little wet 3-4 times a week and there again, the Merrick offerings seem to be very high quality and he loves them. Boutique-ey stuff I suppose but it's what it is..

All of our dogs in the past did great on Pro Plan but wifee-poo is stubborn...it's what it is :?

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:42 am

jwnissen wrote:Anyone else use Kirkland brand and like it? Looks like a good food and readily available.

Thanks again for everyones feedback, definitely giving me some more options.

John

reba wrote:If you are near a COSTCO Kirkland dog food is a deal for the quality.

A friend of mine feeds it to his dog - Lab is 14 years old now.

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:22 pm

Anyone ever heard of or used Nutrisource? I was looking at food that is available in my area and ran across this one. All thoughts and comments are welcome. Thanks

BigJake

Post by BigJake » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:47 pm

Very good food, made here in Minnesota. I fed it for awhile then it just got to expensive, but a very good food.

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:22 am

You can't go wrong with 4health, made by diamond at their California plant. 30% protein 20% fat. No grains. About $1.00 a lb. give or take. My dogs are hard runners and they do fine on it.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:18 am

Definitely take a look at Victor. Quality ingredients (no GMO, no ethoxyquin in their Fish meals etc) and all (non-ocean) ingredients are produced within 200 miles of the factory.

shets114

Post by shets114 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:34 pm

Del Lolo wrote:Definitely take a look at Victor. Quality ingredients (no GMO, no ethoxyquin in their Fish meals etc) and all (non-ocean) ingredients are produced within 200 miles of the factory.

Not so sure all statements are accurate.. Where did you get your information?

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:51 pm

shets114 wrote: Not so sure all statements are accurate.. Where did you get your information?
Directly from the factory via emails.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:12 pm

Del Lolo wrote:
shets114 wrote: Not so sure all statements are accurate.. Where did you get your information?

That sounds good but it is surprising they would guarantee that when it doesn't make any difference in the quality of the feed and it would be impossible to control or identify the source. Can't you just see the next Diamond ad when it says all of the ingredients were raised within 30 miles of the Victor plant. But it sounds good I guess. I have heard good reports about Victor.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

natel24

Post by natel24 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:42 am

I used to feed my dog native brand until it just got too expensive. I now feed kent feeds hi protein 27. The dogs seem to due well on it and actually like it. It runs me just under 30$ for a 40lb bag at my local feed store.
natel24
"My dogs not perfect, but i'm not a perfect shot either."
"I'd rather go hunting without a gun than without my dog."

shets114

Post by shets114 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:52 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Del Lolo wrote:

That sounds good but it is surprising they would guarantee that when it doesn't make any difference in the quality of the feed and it would be impossible to control or identify the source. Can't you just see the next Diamond ad when it says all of the ingredients were raised within 30 miles of the Victor plant. But it sounds good I guess. I have heard good reports about Victor.

Ezzy

Non GMO is quickly becoming the new buzz word.. Like No Corn, Wheat, Soy, then we went to grain free, then potato free Now Non GMO.. Even though it would be so difficult to police and it is up to the company. What's next..
The other would be sourcing and manufacturing.. Sure you can source product from within miles of a facility but where did they purchase the product and what was the country of origin?

It fun to watch for the next marketing move to sell a product.. When you work in the industry and spend time in the plant, lab and road it's always amazing what you learn. Sometimes you just have to roll your eyes and walk away..

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:26 pm

Isn't that the truth. Seems to be no end to foolishness. I really think a lot of it is people have too much idle time with all of the modern conveniences they have today.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:18 am

I roll my eyes but when I stop they've changed the formula AGAIN, reduced the quantity and raised the price lol..... DoH

Now they added "SUPERFOODS" ROFL and crying at the same time.:p
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:27 am

jwnissen wrote:Thanks for the replies and please keep them coming. I am leaning towards victor but the closest place to buy it is 35 miles away. Online it is $52 a bag unless someone knows where to get it cheaper. Thanks again
Go to the Victor website and click on the 'dealer locator' page.
I picked up a bag of the 26/18 for $33 last weekend.

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:05 pm

I have decided to go with Nutrisource 30/20. it is readily available, with a higher calorie count so a bag lasts longer and it looks like a really good quality food. thanks everyone for your input.

John

Vision

Post by Vision » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:54 am

I fed Eukanuba until December when it became hard to get for less than $60 a bag. I switched to Pro Plan but I am not satisfied with it. I am going to make a 2 hour drive and get Inukshuk. I got 6 bags last year and felt that it was better than the Euk I was feeding.

shets114

Re:

Post by shets114 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:04 pm

birddog1968 wrote:I roll my eyes but when I stop they've changed the formula AGAIN, reduced the quantity and raised the price lol..... DoH

Still doesn't explain taking a 20% increase on a 5% increase. Seems your business plan is as questionable as those you question. JMO

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: Re:

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:10 pm

shets114 wrote:
birddog1968 wrote:I roll my eyes but when I stop they've changed the formula AGAIN, reduced the quantity and raised the price lol..... DoH

Still doesn't explain taking a 20% increase on a 5% increase. Seems your business plan is as questionable as those you question. JMO
My business plan? You might be confused....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

shets114

Re: Re:

Post by shets114 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:20 pm

birddog1968 wrote:
shets114 wrote:

My business plan? You might be confused....
Yep wrong quote.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:59 am

I feed "Sportsman's Mix" (26-18 blue bag), and I pay slightly over $28 tax included for 50 pounds. Good energy, good stools, and good coat.
big steve

TonyS

Post by TonyS » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:54 am

Kirkland Lamb and Rice- $28 for 40 lb bag.

If I was rich I could abandon out of gas new Mercedes in the desert like the sheiks.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:18 pm

Kinetic Performance dog food: http://kineticdogfood.com/

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Sun May 11, 2014 8:19 am

Thought I would give everyone an update. I decided to use Nutrisource and so far I really like it. It costs $63 for a 40 lb bag and they have a buy 12 get 1 free program. It has a higher calorie count so I feed her less. We are cutting her food from 3 cups a day down to 2. Dog seems to be doing well, poops less and more solid. I have only been feeding a couple weeks, but her coat is soft and shiny still. Thanks again everyone for your input. I'm a very analytical person so something as simple as choosing a new dog food is not as simple for me.

John

SCT

Post by SCT » Sun May 11, 2014 8:24 am

It's a great food and my dogs love it. I may never switch again. You can get the premium 30/20 through Petflow for $56 a bag, or Scheels for $50 and buy 12 get one free. In Utah anyway.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Sun May 11, 2014 9:18 am

I feed sportsman pride and my dogs like it. $30 for 50lbs so economical for me!

SCT

Post by SCT » Sun May 11, 2014 9:44 am

Yeah, I would have loved it if I could get my dogs to eat it. They snubbed their nose at it :D :D :(

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun May 11, 2014 10:24 am

SCT wrote:Yeah, I would have loved it if I could get my dogs to eat it. They snubbed their nose at it :D :D :(
Dogs don't snub their nose at anything. As far as food goes they will eat most anything when they are hungry. Of course, we can easily make a dog go to one first by adding a little sugar to it. They are like humans, they eat what they like and not what is good for them many times when given free choice.

I am not trying to get you to change feeds but I was hoping you could find a better reason for feeding what you are than just that my dogs wouldn't eat what I wanted to feed.
by jwnissen » Today, 09:19

Thought I would give everyone an update. I decided to use Nutrisource and so far I really like it. It costs $63 for a 40 lb bag and they have a buy 12 get 1 free program. It has a higher calorie count so I feed her less. We are cutting her food from 3 cups a day down to 2. Dog seems to be doing well, poops less and more solid. I have only been feeding a couple weeks, but her coat is soft and shiny still. Thanks again everyone for your input. I'm a very analytical person so something as simple as choosing a new dog food is not as simple for me.
Glad you found a food you like. It is way too high priced for my taste but if you can afford it and the dog is doing good, it would be a good one to feed. When you say the stool is firmer that pretty well says you were feeding more than the pup needed before. But don't change if you and the pup are happy.

Ezzy

SCT

Post by SCT » Sun May 11, 2014 10:51 am

I was joking Ezzy, about the nose snubbing. But, I will at least partially base my desire on what food to buy, by the way my dogs respond to it. I have a hard enough time keeping weight on them, much easier when they readily eat what I put on the ground for them.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun May 11, 2014 12:11 pm

SCT wrote:I was joking Ezzy, about the nose snubbing. But, I will at least partially base my desire on what food to buy, by the way my dogs respond to it. I have a hard enough time keeping weight on them, much easier when they readily eat what I put on the ground for them.

I agree

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Sun May 11, 2014 3:02 pm

It is a little higher priced than what I want to pay, but the quality and more calories allow me to cut back by about a third. Sporting dogs aren't really big around here so I don't have a lot of options in my area and would like to stay local. That being said, it was between this and diamond extreme athlete. The difference in price was about 15 a bag. So the free bag and feeding less make up for that. Anyways, I had multiple feed stores, who dont sell nutrisource, tell me that it was one of the better foods.

SCT

Post by SCT » Sun May 11, 2014 3:29 pm

I used Diamond EA for about a year and I like the Nutrisource better so far. Yes, it costs more, but my dogs like it more and their stools are more consistent with the Nutrasource. In other words, the EA was less forgiving if I fed just slightly too much. I'm still new to Nutrisource, but I like what I see so far....for MY dogs.