vaccine

minigooch

vaccine

Post by minigooch » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:04 pm

Do you do your own vaccine ? What would be the pros and cons of doing your own ? Anything I should be aware of ? I have a Tractor Supply close by that has what I need. Are there different grades or qualities ? I have an 8 week old pup and just about ready for his 9 week shot and considering doing it myself but have got conflicting advice. Thanks in advance for the info !

Del Lolo

Re: vaccine

Post by Del Lolo » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:14 pm

If i had only one or two dogs, I would definitely have my Vet do it.
If I had a big bunch of dogs, I might consider doing it myself.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:25 pm

I do my own, but I will often buy the vaccine from my vet - that way I know it has been kept refrigerated - which many places can't guarantee me. A vaccine that is not kept refrigerator during shipping is worthless. A reaction to a vaccine is an issue too - you need to be prepared for a reaction and know what to do if you dog has a reaction. Overvaccinating (too often) is a HUGE concern for me. I follow the protocols from UC Davis.

I'm not advocating doing them yourself, you need to decide that on your own - but with 11 dogs, I save quite a bit doing them myself using the UC Davis protocols for timing (every 3 years for most of the core shots). I also know when I need to visit my vet - several of my dogs need yearly visits, but several do not.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:17 pm

RoostersMom wrote:I do my own, but I will often buy the vaccine from my vet - that way I know it has been kept refrigerated - which many places can't guarantee me. A vaccine that is not kept refrigerator during shipping is worthless. A reaction to a vaccine is an issue too - you need to be prepared for a reaction and know what to do if you dog has a reaction. Overvaccinating (too often) is a HUGE concern for me. I follow the protocols from UC Davis.

I'm not advocating doing them yourself, you need to decide that on your own - but with 11 dogs, I save quite a bit doing them myself using the UC Davis protocols for timing (every 3 years for most of the core shots). I also know when I need to visit my vet - several of my dogs need yearly visits, but several do not.
Great advice.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:29 pm

The manufacturers ship all vaccines that require refrigeration in containers with dry ice. No store would keep it if it wasn't still refrigerated when it arrived.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:48 pm

ezzy333 wrote:The manufacturers ship all vaccines that require refrigeration in containers with dry ice. No store would keep it if it wasn't still refrigerated when it arrived.

Ezzy
I know Ezzy, but she said to get assurance that it was shipped refrigerated, TSC and the others will give that assurance. There is also some question as to how hot and how long before it loses its effectiveness. But I thought it good advice, overall.

Thinking further, if I only had one pup, I would take it to the vet. There is some value to the wellness exame he will get. Just taking his temp and listening to his heart is more than most owners do. And may be a fecal exam is better than just worm treatment. I sometimes forget not everyone has 10 dogs and a litter of pups at a time.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:02 am

ezzy333 wrote:The manufacturers ship all vaccines that require refrigeration in containers with dry ice. No store would keep it if it wasn't still refrigerated when it arrived.

Ezzy
I have a friend that works at a local feed store and he assures me that they keep the vaccines in the back room, in a box until they get time to unload them - I know there is no "absolute" way to be sure, but I'm sure that I will never buy a vaccine from that store because I know they don't keep them refrigerated through the whole shipping process. It's not a priority to get that box unloaded on that day - he tells me that vaccines will sometimes sit in the back room for 2-3 days. I'm just saying to make an informed decision if you're going out on your own with vaccines. You also need to keep them cold while you get them home to the dog as well (I've got a 40 minute drive from where I buy mine - my vet gives me a freezer package for the trip). And there is certainly value to annual exams and definitely to puppy exams. My pups usually go to the vet a couple of times between 10 weeks and 6 months.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:19 am

All true, and this pup is only 8 weeks old. He needs to go to the vet.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:25 am

In Mn. you need a prescription to buy the vaccines. I don't think it is hard to get. I just don't trust hardware stores. I have the vets do mine. I think it is a good selling point. For the first shots you need the exam anyway so the shots do not cost a lot. Second round is quite reasonable and third round you need the rabies and the extra shots do not cost much. With one puppy, get him in, have an exam do a fecal check. It is worth the money. Plus you will have a relationship with your vet when you need it. Shop around all vets are not created equal. We have had they same vets for 17 years they know me and my dogs and I do not mind paying a bit extra to keep them around.........................Cj

minigooch

Post by minigooch » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:54 am

Thanks all for the info.This is exactly why I joined this forum. I have a scheduled visit to the vet anyway, for the fecal check and general check up but its a few days after the 9 week mark so I think I'll wait . As far as the vaccine being shipped and kept cold that's not an Issue as I also have a friend who works at TSC and he tells me proper care and handling is of the utmost importance of his store and managers. They also follow the UC Davis protocol so over-vaccinating is not a problem but I would not be comfortable with handling a reaction .Thanks again. Minigooch

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:06 am

minigooch wrote:Thanks all for the info.This is exactly why I joined this forum. I have a scheduled visit to the vet anyway, for the fecal check and general check up but its a few days after the 9 week mark so I think I'll wait . As far as the vaccine being shipped and kept cold that's not an Issue as I also have a friend who works at TSC and he tells me proper care and handling is of the utmost importance of his store and managers. They also follow the UC Davis protocol so over-vaccinating is not a problem but I would not be comfortable with handling a reaction .Thanks again. Minigooch
I keep fresh epherin in the fridge, but reaction have to be rare, i have given thousands of vaccinations to dogs, cats, horses, goats, etc. without an adverse reaction.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:15 am

Just to be clear, I have usually taken pups to the vet for their first shot so I can pass a vaccination certificate to the new owners as well as knowing the pups are in good condition before being sold, But that is their last trip to a vet other than getting rabies shots when needed. I do not ever want to take a dog into the most contaminated area on earth unless there is no other choice, and there usually is.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:31 am

Excellent points. If I am forced to take my dog to the vet he does not go into the waiting room to be kissed by the other dogs or sniff pee and snot from the floor. I never understand "My dog wants to say hi" from grey haired ladies and yuppies. I wait my turn and go in the back door or exit, they usually keep the exam rooms cleaner. The vets all seem to understand, rarely even commenting.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:27 pm

minigooch wrote:Do you do your own vaccine ? What would be the pros and cons of doing your own ? Anything I should be aware of ? I have a Tractor Supply close by that has what I need. Are there different grades or qualities ? I have an 8 week old pup and just about ready for his 9 week shot and considering doing it myself but have got conflicting advice. Thanks in advance for the info !
Just keep in mind rabies in most states must be given by a licensed professional. Kennels I doubt will accept vaccinations made by the owner, in case you ever have to board the dog. I would assume that is the case in New England.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:43 pm

I give my own rabies vaccine, it comes in boxes of ten with certicates and tags. I have never been questioned, even though the law in most states require it be administered by a vet. I do know the laws have us over inoculating our dogs, once a year, after three years old is not needed nor wise.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:49 pm

Neil wrote:I give my own rabies vaccine, it comes in boxes of ten with certicates and tags. I have never been questioned, even though the law in most states require it be administered by a vet. I do know the laws have us over inoculating our dogs, once a year, after three years old is not needed nor wise.
Rabies is every three years here in ILand they collect the county licensing

fee and send it in.

Ezzy

GunDogAdventures

Post by GunDogAdventures » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:52 pm

+1 on pup's first visit and shots.
Ask your vet about administering them yourself - they might surprise you.
I give our two dogs their boosters but the vet has to give rabies.
As quoted this year, I saved around $110.

Another consideration is: I've read kennels' policies (bother breeders and boarding) that require "documentation" of vacinations. Our kennel knows that I do my own (as do they), so I get a free pass on that one.

It is a personal choice that has has benefits and challenges.
A dog on point.....steady, yet trembling,
Breathing in and tasting the gentle breeze.
Take a moment for yourself to soak it all in,
All the training, the hard work.....it really has paid off.

Lily: http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=4
Chevy: http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=6

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:50 pm

Neil wrote:I give my own rabies vaccine, it comes in boxes of ten with certicates and tags. I have never been questioned, even though the law in most states require it be administered by a vet. I do know the laws have us over inoculating our dogs, once a year, after three years old is not needed nor wise.
You can certainly give your own rabies vaccine but if your dog bites someone, you are in trouble because the vast majority of states won't recognize the self-vaccine.

As for annual vaccines you are right, but there are no laws requiring you to give those vaccines. Only rabies is required by law.