New England Tick Control

CTPaul

New England Tick Control

Post by CTPaul » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:06 pm

Any of you guys/gals live in the tick infested areas up north? If so what do you use for tick repellent/control? I've used Frontline and Advantix in the past put it never fails that I end up pulling engorged ticks off days later.

Every year the number of ticks gets worse up here in CT and it's not uncommon to pull 30 ticks off on a single hunt. With the warm weather coming I'd like a better solution than I have used in the past.

Thanks in advance.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: New England Tick Control

Post by Sharon » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:29 pm

Used Advantix 55 for years. Never seen a tick. It's a new product this year - more preventative to keep ticks from landing.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:11 pm

I tried a few that work ok but none have been 100% effective. Those that I have tried are bio-spot, frontline, and Adams and all were flea and tic collars. I have also heard Advantix works well as mentioned above but never tried it because of the price. I don't keep the collars on for more then a few days or usually for the days I run him and the day after. Anything that kills ticks or fleas is a pesticide and I don't want it running thru him any longer then necessary. Some times if the tics aren't out in force I don't use one at all. You will know that when inspecting your dog immediately after a good run. I can usually get most off him with a good post run inspection. I have removed quite a few from him over the past few years but I am hopeful that there will be less around this year because of this persistent deep freeze we have experienced this winter. I will also be trying something new this year by adding small amounts of garlic and brewers yeast to his diet but only during tic season as these are said to be a deterrent to both tics and fleas.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:42 pm

CTPaul, I also tried a holistic tick repellant that worked well that contained spearmint oil and other ingredients. It was a rub on liquid. The reason I didn't keep using it was it stays on the dog and is really strong. He smelled like a strong breath mint all the time. I am always on the lookout for an holistic approach to keeping ticks at bay. I would like to hear from anyone who has used one with success as ticks are spreading farther north and becoming a real problem.

CTPaul

Post by CTPaul » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:11 pm

Thanks for the responses. I tried a citronella based repellent last season on my shorthair and it seemed to help some but never perfectly.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:05 pm

I use the generic fipronil and adams flea and tick mist. I recently moved from down near the ocean in the mid atlantic. Our ticks often never went dormant and this always seemed to work well for me.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

rlrobinhood

Post by rlrobinhood » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:39 pm

Advantix worked great for me when I lived in CA. Sorry your not having a similar experience. It is expensive.

lugmastro

Post by lugmastro » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:51 am

I use generic tick collars, and after each hunt spend time with a steel comb with teeth that are very close together. It elimanates most ticks, but I live in NC, ticks are everywhere.
"A person may cause evil to others not only by his action but by his inaction, and in either case he is justly accountable to them for the injury." John Stuart Mill

CTPaul

Post by CTPaul » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:49 am

Sounds like we are all in the same boat. Thanks for the inputs.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:21 am

I'm actually more worried about the ticks I find on me as I have had at least 3 or 4 that I found attached to me last year. My dog doesn't seem bothered by them and all you can do is remove them when you find them. I must say though I have never seen them so bad as the past two seasons. I am thinking the very mild winters we had might be one reason. I usually try to get the dog out during dry spells when there are less ticks. They will be out and about around here this month with the temps getting into the 40s and 50s.

Sodey

Post by Sodey » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:34 am

Parastar has been working great for me. We are in a tick infested area and I did not find one single tick last year (on the dog). Plenty on myself, even with permethrin on my clothing. Parastar is fipronil based, where I think the ticks are not so resistant to it yet. Frontline was my go to, but saw a decline in it's effectiveness. I was diagnosed with Lyme three years ago, and fight it every day. So tick control on my new little pup was of utmost importance. Give it a try. A month worth won't break the bank.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:48 am

Sodey wrote:Parastar has been working great for me. We are in a tick infested area and I did not find one single tick last year (on the dog). Plenty on myself, even with permethrin on my clothing. Parastar is fipronil based, where I think the ticks are not so resistant to it yet. Frontline was my go to, but saw a decline in it's effectiveness. I was diagnosed with Lyme three years ago, and fight it every day. So tick control on my new little pup was of utmost importance. Give it a try. A month worth won't break the bank.
Thanks for the info, sorry to hear about the Lyme, it is surely a possibility for anyone in areas where there are deer ticks. I have a relative that got it and he doesn't even hunt but is a dog owner. One of the few downsides of spending time outdoors I guess.

CTPaul

Post by CTPaul » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:52 pm

Thanks Sodey. I was hoping for a new weapon as my setter lives in the house with the family so keeping them off of him is important. The dog gets vaccinated but the babies don't. Good luck with the lyme, it's always a bummer to see and more and more people are being infected.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:38 pm

Here in FL (arguably the tick, flea, & mosquito capital of the US) I find K9 Advantix II works well for our GSPs.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

smittty

Post by smittty » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:44 pm

the purple cattle tags from tractor supply they are the pythons your dos will be tic free

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:22 pm

A cow is a big animal. Do we know the tags are safe for dogs or is there no pesticide entering the animal? I don't know much about cows. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

smittty

Post by smittty » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:30 pm

I cut them in strips get three strips out of a tag and I zip tie the to dogs collar..I also hung a few around the kennel and that took care of the flies ...27.00 a bag and that will last me two years

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:46 pm

Here are some good pictures to help identify the different variety of ticks. Check out some of the dogs on here.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=dee ... &FORM=IGRE

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:13 pm

smittty wrote:the purple cattle tags from tractor supply they are the pythons your dos will be tic free

Not for me as a preventive but it might be wise, if cattle tags are used, then procedures are taken to safeguard the tags from other dogs or pups chewing on the tags....as one downside.
That is one problem with message board advice that is a bit off the grid....others read, interpret it by $$$$s alone while having conditions present that the OP does not.....those other conditions can be bad for a dog.

Cattle strips are used...often one sees them advised on a couple of upland message boards by the same few people.
Can't say they don't work after a fashion but consequences are not impossible.
Be alert.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:18 am

Mountaineer wrote:Not for me as a preventive but it might be wise, if cattle tags are used, then procedures are taken to safeguard the tags from other dogs or pups chewing on the tags....as one downside.That is one problem with message board advice that is a bit off the grid....others read, interpret it by $$$$s alone while having conditions present that the OP does not.....those other conditions can be bad for a dog.Cattle strips are used...often one sees them advised on a couple of upland message boards by the same few people.Can't say they don't work after a fashion but consequences are not impossible.Be alert.
Thanks for the warning but you haven't mentioned what you use on your dogs. I don't like using chemical pesticides on my dog and most tick control methods do contain potentially harmful pesticides. It would be very helpful to me and perhaps others if there were a more holistic approach to keeping them at bay. I will be trying a few different things this season. 1- brewers yeast which is said to raise the acidic level in the dogs blood making them less desirable to blood feeding parasites 2- Garlic which in small amounts is ok and a natural parasite deterrent. Apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle 50% water 50% vinegar is also worth a try. fresh sage and half a teaspoon of fresh clove with his food are other things mentioned.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:58 am

Bounty_Hunter wrote:...Thanks for the warning but you haven't mentioned what you use on your dogs....
The comment on the cattle tags was for those who might consider using cattle tags on multiple dogs for a cost savings....it was a practical consideration only, rather than simply high-fiving a cost savings idea.
May be of value and...then again, it may not.

No, I did not mention what flea/tick preventative(s) I use or have used.
Should not be important to anyone...or even a question....the OP received some suggestions.
What should be is what works for the individual dog's particulars and that varies and, imo, can change over time.
Fit & Try is always best for the individual....copying the loudest or the oddest on a message board seldom is as sound a manner of reasoning...individual flea/tick treatments of any type are rarely cost prohibitive as a test.
Ticks can be tough...as can being sure that the dose was sufficient, sufficiently placed and on a sufficient length of time...and, again, ticks can be tough.

I think many of us have fed garlic or used Brewer's yeast at one time or another, just to see...some may still do.
Old news that may work or appear to work...may also give some a cozy feeling of homeopathy to those in need of such.
I have heard rosemary can be of benefit, fwtw.
Flea/tick preventative or any decision can all just depend upon what any individual convinces themselves is best and, at times, provides that for which they have an apparently unquenchable desire for the conversion of others to the Wondrous Cause and the Light.
Since I care about dogs more than Causes...Fit & Try, reasonably conducted, has served me well for many years.