GSP random puke???

halt3rtop

GSP random puke???

Post by halt3rtop » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:43 am

Anyone with a GSP or other breed have this issue? My dog is perfectly healthy. But randomly, ever since he was a pup, once a month or so, he'd get this literally stupid grin on his face, and then proceed to puke. This morning, in his crate, I heard him licking his chops, then the stomach roll came about. Like a flash, I jumped out of bed, bolted downstairs, and lucky for me got him outside in time so I wouldn't have to deal with his mess. He's not excited, he hasn't eaten anything he shouldn't have. He just randomly barfs nothing but stomach liquid, and then he'll run around like a freakin' moron as if nothing just happened. Anyone else have this issue?

SubMariner

Re: GSP random puke???

Post by SubMariner » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:49 am

halt3rtop wrote:Anyone with a GSP or other breed have this issue? My dog is perfectly healthy. But randomly, ever since he was a pup, once a month or so, he'd get this literally stupid grin on his face, and then proceed to puke. This morning, in his crate, I heard him licking his chops, then the stomach roll came about. Like a flash, I jumped out of bed, bolted downstairs, and lucky for me got him outside in time so I wouldn't have to deal with his mess. He's not excited, he hasn't eaten anything he shouldn't have. He just randomly barfs nothing but stomach liquid, and then he'll run around like a freakin' moron as if nothing just happened. Anyone else have this issue?
Unless this happens frequently, I don't think I'd get too concerned about it. Dogs get into all sorts of stuff outside when we're not looking & wind up throwing up. Upset stomachs aren't that uncommon. Dogs, unlike people, just let it go whenever & wherever...

JMHO,
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

Quailcommando

Post by Quailcommando » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:03 am

I have a young male GSP that we are thinking about changing his name to stoner because he will catch the occasional toad in his kennel or yard and hold it in his mouth as long as he can stand it usually when he starts to foam then let's it out. Then about 1 or 2 hours later he will start smacking his tongue on his lips then gets sick. Have had many dogs and have never seen anything like him, vet said he is addicted to the toads.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:03 am

If you've ensured it's not a chronic symptom of something serious by consulting your vet, I'd start using a probiotic. It seems to be have a stabilizing effect on my dogs.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:30 pm

Dogs randomly puke - fact. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

lugmastro

Post by lugmastro » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:08 am

I've had some GSP's that puke regularly and others that only do it when they are really sick. One of mine was famous for eating grass once every couple of weeks and puking a couple times. I wouldn't worry about it. Some dogs just clean out their system more often than others.
"A person may cause evil to others not only by his action but by his inaction, and in either case he is justly accountable to them for the injury." John Stuart Mill

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:14 am

Hmmm, can't say my dog does. Cant even remember the last time he threw up.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:38 am

A lot of dogs regurgitate their food. Especially if you feed it raw. If you are not watching closely you wouldn't know it. I think it is a inherited trait from when they gorged on meat and laid around digesting it. my females routinely regurgitate food for their puppies. Don't know why some puke green or yellow slime but they do and it doesn't seem to be a big deal...........Cj

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:23 am

cjhills wrote:A lot of dogs regurgitate their food. Especially if you feed it raw. If you are not watching closely you wouldn't know it. I think it is a inherited trait from when they gorged on meat and laid around digesting it. my females routinely regurgitate food for their puppies. Don't know why some puke green or yellow slime but they do and it doesn't seem to be a big deal...........Cj
I have seen that every now and then and sometimes he will regurgitate food he didn't chew up enough too, but its really usually small, and not very often. I thought they were referring to regularly throwing up their food and walking away. I have seen yellow slime but only once or twice. Being on a raw diet he usually does his business within 5 or ten min after eating his food. Never saw him regurgitate anything big or regularly. I do agree with those who say that dogs don't digest vegetables well though, because no matter what veggies I feed him you will see it in his pooh and no more digested then when he ate it.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:08 am

Dogs basically don't chew their food. They pretty much wolf it down and let the stomach acid take over. My thinking is some dogs get to much stomach acid and puke it up. Just guessing though. I don't see why eating would make a dog go in five or ten minutes it takes about twelve hours for food to pass through the digestive system no matter what the food is.........Cj

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:37 pm

Not really sure why he goes so soon after eating, could just be routine or perhaps its food he was fed the evening before. This brings up another question though. I have read that kibble takes longer to digest then raw foods or meats, and that's why its believed to be a problem to mix kibble with raw because bacteria in meat that would maybe pass through the dogs digestive system quicker is now held longer in the digestive system with the kibble that is slowing down the process and that could cause the problem. I have fed both together many times but use only small amounts of kibble, say half a cup and never had any problems that I know of. But it does make sense that quicker digestion of raw meat would mean less time for bacteria to create problems, and eating larger meals is common with wild carnivores which produces more stomach acid to aid in both digestion and deter parasites from becoming a problem. What do you make of this hypothesis?

tasi devil

Post by tasi devil » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:57 pm

halt3trop;
unless it's regular and more than bile and as a consequence the dog is losing condition .....don't worry about it,
as you said it's random, inconvenient if they're inside....done the run for the door a few times myself, with collar and dog firmly in tow

mine eat grass to make themselves vomit, they eat sheep/cow/horse "bleep" (one used to eat her own "bleep") and they don't vomit that up thank the lord
I feed raw & quality dry food,
quite often i'll give them a full leg of roo,(hit once with the axe to break it up a bit) which they tear up. occasionally if they swallowed it too quick it comes back up ,
same with the dried food, eat too quick and it comes back up.....they just eat it again more slowly. it's rare when it happens.

we had one dog that it was fairly regular (bile only), so he got more yoghurt in the course of the week than the others. that seemed to sort it out.
it's not what they eat normally, just some are more sensitive than others, and as one OP said we really don't know and can't totally control what they eat

.................tasi
i'm from under down under

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:02 am

My lab will occasionally throw up do to excitement/activity within half day of eating, as well as other apparent causes.

Regarding yogurt. .. I had read that dogs are lactose intolerant. So I use probiotics from Purina. I have also used probiotics from other makers, including human products. Whenever they are on a medication or seem to a sour stomach, I give it on their food or in their water. It definitely helps with stabilizing their digestive system.

Senah

Post by Senah » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:45 am

Our dog "randomly pukes" once a month or so, but if we get to the bottom of it usually there was a little poop eating or carcass play during our time out (he ranges, so we don't have eyes on every second). Occasionally he got into something we didn't know about (I had the pleasure of watching a barbie arm emerge from his mouth after an afternoon at a friend's place - creepy, it was like she was trying to climb to safety).

In the warmer months if he eats a lot of grass, he pukes.