What do you feed your Dogs?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: What do you feed your Dogs?

Post by ezzy333 » Thu May 15, 2014 8:37 am

The availability of vegetable matter in a dogs diet has been well proven over many years. There is no logical way it can be argued today when most performance feeds include it to provide the energy that a dog needs when working. If they couldn't digest it we would have a lot of dead and skinny dogs. This dates back to way before dog food was being manufactured on a commercial basis.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

winchester pre64

Post by winchester pre64 » Thu May 15, 2014 11:29 am

Pro Plan
"brevity is the soul of wit" William Shakespeare 1599

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu May 15, 2014 1:05 pm

ezzy333 wrote:The availability of vegetable matter in a dogs diet has been well proven over many years. There is no logical way it can be argued today when most performance feeds include it to provide the energy that a dog needs when working. If they couldn't digest it we would have a lot of dead and skinny dogs. This dates back to way before dog food was being manufactured on a commercial basis.
Before the advent of commercial dog food being available cheaply enough to interest the local farmers, the dogs on the farms ate the same food as the pigs and cows - chop and milk. The only meat they got was the leftovers from butchering a couple of times a year and calving time there would be some dead calves etc. If they couldn't live on chop (ground grain) they didn't survive long.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu May 15, 2014 1:45 pm

Absolutely true. I sold feed to the farmers when I got out of the Air Force and I had to keep track of everything I sold. The first two years before we finally manufactured a dog food I sold over 5 tons of pig feed to the farmers who had a dog or two each of those years. And without a doubt the farmers who had hogs and bought feed for them also had dogs that ate the feed. My own dogs would go to the crib everyday and lay there in the alley way and chew the corn off of the cob. My dogs to this day go out into the field behind our house and find ears that they bring up to the yards and chew on. They only get the chance to eat it when they bring it in as once they leave it the squirrels carry it away. I think they have learned that too.

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Thu May 15, 2014 7:44 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Doesn't matter if they gulp. They are still not true Carnivores.
False Carnivores?
A good bird dog is always the right color

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Thu May 15, 2014 7:51 pm

slistoe wrote:Cats always chew up their kibble into smaller bits than the already small bits they come in - are they not carnivores?
Can't see that gulping has much to do with it - the behaviour has more to do with pack feeding.
Cats eat grain matter contained in the kibble diets...are they not omnivores? That's pretty much the same logic when applied to dogs. Why the double standard? I know the argument. Cats cannot survive without meat and dogs can...barely.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Thu May 15, 2014 8:06 pm

slistoe wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:The availability of vegetable matter in a dogs diet has been well proven over many years. There is no logical way it can be argued today when most performance feeds include it to provide the energy that a dog needs when working. If they couldn't digest it we would have a lot of dead and skinny dogs. This dates back to way before dog food was being manufactured on a commercial basis.
Before the advent of commercial dog food being available cheaply enough to interest the local farmers, the dogs on the farms ate the same food as the pigs and cows - chop and milk. The only meat they got was the leftovers from butchering a couple of times a year and calving time there would be some dead calves etc. If they couldn't live on chop (ground grain) they didn't survive long.
Question: Why when if a dogs stumbles into the vegetable garden and eats a string bean it comes out the other end looking like a string bean? Answer: The dogs body does not produce the enzymes to break down cellulose.

Question: Why do we see grain matter and vegetable matter in dog food? Answer: When grain and vegetable matter is high processed (cooked) it can then and ONLY THEN become usable as a very weak protein source for the dog. Man must therefore make this possible for the dog for them to benefit. I sorry, but no one can convince me otherwise that dogs can survive on an exclusive raw grain and raw vegetable matter diet.

alldogsgotoheaven

Post by alldogsgotoheaven » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:15 pm

Hello Everyone-

I am a new hunting dog owner and hunt pheasant and other fowl. I am looking for information on what to feed high energy hunting dogs. Some of the answers in here are great but not specific enough for what I am trying to uncover.So, I put together a survey that I was hoping I could have a few of you fill out for me...I am very detailed in how I make my selections hence the survey I put together to help me make the best decision for me and my dog. The survey is totally anonymous and only takes about 5-7 min. If you could spare some time I would really appreciate it.

Thank you-

Survey=> https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/T6KT8WS

roosterbrews

Post by roosterbrews » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:42 am

Dr. Tim's Momentum. He does great on it energy to burn and very lean.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:34 am

claybuster_aa wrote:
Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Doesn't matter if they gulp. They are still not true Carnivores.
False Carnivores?
Just look at the teeth, they don't lie. Dogs have K9's as well as "cutters and chewers", Cats only have K9's. All of their teeth are hooked and they have no molars. This makes Cats true Carnivores and differentiates them from dogs who are designed to eat more then just meat.

melliott518

Post by melliott518 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:55 pm

roosterbrews wrote:Dr. Tim's Momentum. He does great on it energy to burn and very lean.
I have been feeding Dr Tims Momentum now also for about 8 months. Two GSPs and my wifes Chow. The Chow is almost 14 yrs old and it seems to have helped her joints and my 4 yr old GSP looks better than ever. The 10month old GSP is a running machine, looks great and is very lean. The 4 yr old GSP get 1 cup 2 X a day and the 10 month old gets a cup in the a.m and 1.5 cups in the evening.
Mike Elliott

FisherGuyRye

Post by FisherGuyRye » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:58 pm

I used to feed Pro Plan Large Breed Chicken and Rice but my 10mo old female GSP had real bad dandruff, ear wax build up and ear infections continuously. Switched over to Natures Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Lamb Meal and Pea Formula and she has been doing great! Everything cleared up.

Grange

Post by Grange » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:02 pm

I'll be going back to Pro Plan Performance soon. My setter won two bags from a recent trial. It was actually quite timely because I had been planning on going back to Pro Plan Performance once my current dog food runs out.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:40 pm

Pro Plan Performance.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Bad River

Post by Bad River » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:40 pm

pro plan sport

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:57 pm

Kinetic Performance dog food here.

GL

Post by GL » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:32 am

Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That couldn't happen. Glad you posted this as it just explains why I sit back and smile as I read why everyone feeds what they do. But you don't dare say anything or you will have another dog food war.

Ezzy[/quote]

LMAO!

I let my dog decide what she likes best and the hands down winner was Taste of the Wild/Bison/Venison. I look at this food fight from a rather complex position. If my dog likes it and is doing well on it then that is what she will get. I got a small baggie of five different foods my friends feed their dogs. I put 5 small handfuls on the floor and allowed the dog to sniff and taste test each at the same time. She actually did try each one and went back for seconds on two of them but in the end she ate every last piece of Taste of the wild and left the others sitting there. I had my answer.

GL

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:50 pm

edited
Last edited by Sharon on Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:57 pm

You should have put some Road Apples down beside the different feeds might have had different results!! :lol: :roll:

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:03 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:You should have put some Road Apples down beside the different feeds might have had different results!! :lol: :roll:
I bet seven day old road kill would have won the taste test.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:15 pm

I think we all know there is a better way to pick a dog food than a taste test but it seems in this case it has worked out well so lets mot push the issue as Gl is asking for help if we can provide any advice.

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:32 pm

Meat. Bones. Fish. Organs. Stuff like that.

Bill

GL

Post by GL » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:12 pm

All the fun and games is cool but I think the better question is, did my dog make a poor choice in picking Taste of the Wild?

Others here seem to be happy with it and I have not seen where there is much objection to it as far as nutritional value.

The one thing I am noticing after being away for a while is that some of you are really wrapped up in yourselves while others are here for the good of this forum and to help in any way they can! Congratulations.

GL

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:08 am

For a few years, I have fed "Sportzman's Mix" in the blue bag. It's priced at less than 60 cents a pound, is a 26-18 product, and works well for my Setter. It's a good feed that should be quite sufficient for most working dogs.
big steve

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:37 pm

GL wrote:All the fun and games is cool but I think the better question is, did my dog make a poor choice in picking Taste of the Wild?

Others here seem to be happy with it and I have not seen where there is much objection to it as far as nutritional value.

The one thing I am noticing after being away for a while is that some of you are really wrapped up in yourselves while others are here for the good of this forum and to help in any way they can! Congratulations.

GL
How long have you been feeding TOTW?

JKP

Post by JKP » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:48 pm

I went to Dr Tims 30/20 formulation about a year ago...feeding less and energy, coats and overall health have been excellent. My 75lb male now gets 3 1/2 cups/day in the off season and does well. I'm impressed.

huntcrazed

Post by huntcrazed » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:14 am

Orejen....did I miss it or no body mentioned it here.....overprized maybe but I hunt everyday half the year and never had any issues.

Mario

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:58 pm

Interesting ad by Purina Nestle' last night on the National Dog Show . You send in info on your dog and talk to a rep and dog food is made particularly for your dog. The bag is sent to your house free and has your dog's name on it.
I won't be participating but I predict this will be VERY popular.:)

https://www.justrightpetfood.com/
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

GSP4ME

Post by GSP4ME » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:01 pm

Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream.

I would LOVE to find something that didn't cost quite as much but for MY dogs I've not found anything that comes close with regards to small amounts of firm stool, shiny coats, and no ear wax build up/excessive foot licking. If anyone has switched from TOTW to something else with good results, I'm all ears.

My 70lb 7 year old American bulldog/lab eats about 3 cups per day and he stays in tip top shape. My 60lb 1 year old gsp has to eat closer to 5 cups just to keep him from dropping below 60lbs. 58lbs and he looks like he's been in a concentration camp. 60 lbs and hes a lean, mean, lil bit of rib showing hunting machine.

pudelpter

Post by pudelpter » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:47 pm

Dr. Tims. I tried Pro Plan, but didn't work for us. Dog had soft stools.

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:47 pm

Dr. Tim's Momentum
.·´¯`·... ><((((º> Tammy ·.¸. ><((((º> .·´¯`·.

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:23 am

EVO Turkey/Chicken dry: 42% protein, 22 % fat. Good glossy coats, lots of energy & stamina, keeps muscle/weight on my guys.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

ShackWorkingDog

Post by ShackWorkingDog » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:24 pm

I personally feed 4Health or Diamond Naturals to my dog. However, my dog poops more on grain free, than she does with food with grains. That being said, Diamond Naturals it is (for now, at least).

kcbullets

Post by kcbullets » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:02 pm

Ezzy... i probably missed it but just wanted to know what dog food you feed? Thanks

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:35 pm

kcbullets wrote:Ezzy... i probably missed it but just wanted to know what dog food you feed? Thanks
I have been feeding Diamond's High Energy for the last 4 or 5 years. Not going to tell you it is the best since I have never found one I thought was better than all the others but I am convinced I get more for my money with the Diamond foods than any of the others I have used.

kcbullets

Post by kcbullets » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:52 pm

thanks ezzy.. i appreciate that.