How to prevent twisted stomach?

diplomat019

How to prevent twisted stomach?

Post by diplomat019 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:02 am

Getting ready for my first hunting season with my new gsp. I got a question for you guys and gals. If you are doing a morning hunt how do you go about feeding your dog to prevent twisted stomach or bloating. I feed my dog twice daily. Once in the morning and once in the evening. Thanks

SwitchGrassWPG

Re: How to prevent twisted stomach?

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:27 am

I too feed twice a day and don't fee the morning of a hunt. I may provide a little extra the night before and then feed at the end of the hunt.

Jay
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

diplomat019

Post by diplomat019 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:31 am

Ok. I was wondering if not feeding at all would result in a lack of energy for the dog. But i guess extra food the night before would balance it out. Thanks

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:13 am

We have a dog who's bloodsugar can and has dropped at the wrong times (ie in the field). If you're worried about the energy level, keep things like pb or oats and honey granola bars on hand. A half a bar 1-3 times throughout the day can help. All the dogs get some of it on hunts, and they love it.
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

diplomat019

Post by diplomat019 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:11 am

great tip. will def keep that in mind and have some snacks in my bag for the pup........and me of course hahaha

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:28 pm

I feed twice a day- none the morning of the hunt- I do carry salted nut rolls cut in thirds and give them a 1/3 during a 1/2 time water break- I do not feed them until an hour or so at least after the hunt. With out going to the "Dog Sport bars'' or going to the home brewing store to get Malodextrin to make my own dog energy bars- I have found the Salted Nut Roll to be quite adequate.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:46 pm

If you do a Google search there are innumerable suggestions. ... from fat content in the dog food to watering dry food to ..............Apparently waiting 2 hours AFTER a run before feeding the dog is also recommended. Who knows. Apparently many? folks have gastroplexy surgery done on pups of common to bloat breeds.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=672
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:01 am

Switch to feeding at night time only and limit what they consume while running. There is no need to feed twice per day all of the time.

krakadawn

Post by krakadawn » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:22 am

Studies conducted by Purina clearly showed maximum value gained through one feeding a day . Dogs metabolize more energy through this. I believe the 2 feedings a day is a people thing.

rinker

Post by rinker » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:32 am

+1

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:40 am

krakadawn wrote:Studies conducted by Purina clearly showed maximum value gained through one feeding a day . Dogs metabolize more energy through this. I believe the 2 feedings a day is a people thing.
I think Purina also found that it takes energy to digest food. I agree that evening feeding after exercise is the best. They have all night to digest the food.

onuhunter02

Post by onuhunter02 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:12 pm

When your dog is getting a drink in the field lets just say from a stream or pond is there a rule of thumb to help reduce this from happening? I imagine it like humans enough to quench your thirst but not too much that you don't want to function.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:40 am

I feed twice daily but now that it's hunting season I feed him one meal early afternoon (or an hour post-hunt) and then his second meal in the evening. Works fine for him. I plan on feeding him only once a day once he hits a year old.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:29 am

After years of feeding twice a day I have changed to feeding in the evening only. I am pleased with the results the dogs are gaining weight on less food and less clean up. It seems like they have better energy and get more out of the food.
I never had a twisted stomach on a GSP. I think it is quite rare. Hard running dogs get very little out of food they eat in the morning. It is just excreted to lighten the load. If the dogs are slowing down they need a break............................Cj

Will

Post by Will » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:12 pm

Great topic and interesting discussion.

I have been adhering to the following based on the suggestion of a breeder I purchased from: Feeding equal amounts twice a day, no run/hunt within 2hrs of eating, or no food for minimum 1hr after run/hunt.

As necessary during season, I'll delay both feedings to accomodate this recommendation. This can make for same fairly late night feedings.

I'm considering trying the once a day scenario. Less food and clean up is always welcome.

I can see the reality of the dogs getting very little out of morning feedings by being excreted to lighten the load. Mine wring their guts out several times during a hunt.
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:11 pm

e Power of Information - Dreaded diseases
Over the past ten years improvements in health have shed light on the “Dreaded Diseases” which are those that cripple, kill, and cause early death or blindness. Bloat is a dreaded disease with a lifetime risk of 24% in large-breed show dogs and 21.6% in giant-breed show dogs. Giant and deep-chested purebred dogs, including German Shepherd Dogs, Great Danes, Collies, Weimaraners, Irish and Gordon Setters, Bloodhounds, Akitas, Saint Bernard’s, Mastiffs, Standard Poodles, Labrador and Golden Retrievers, Doberman Pinchers and Chow Chows are at risk for bloat. In a study involving more than 5,000 breeders some of the risk factors were uncovered. They include: personality, submissive behaviors, fearful or aggressive dogs and more. A decreased risk was found for dogs whose diets were supplemented with eggs or fish. Feeding table scraps had no significant effect on this disorder. The published article may be requested by contacting www.breedingbetterdogs.com. Use “Bloat” in the subject field. An emergency Bloat Kit is recommended for all owners. Order one at: www.breedingbetterdogs.com

fishpond

Post by fishpond » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:02 pm

I feed my 3 GSPs twice a day. In the morning I split a 22 oz can between the 3. ( 7 oz each) Can food is probably 80% water.

I get up around 4 and don't start hunting until 8-9 o'clock. By that time they're probably going to pee out most of it, so there isn't much bulk left.

What usually concerns me more, is that after their evening feed ( dry ProPac ) when at home they'll play in the yard, running

and rolling one another. That would seem to me to have a higher possibility of causing twisted gut, but they're mostly outside dogs. So do I lock

them up after the evening feed?

Carl

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:05 pm

We also didn't feed our #1 GSP the morning of a hunt or field work, but found that he tended to munch the bird or be reluctant to bring it back. Also, he didn't seem to be as focused. So we feed him very lightly at least an hour before heading out to wherever we're going, even if it means getting up earlier to do it.

When we get home he gets a proper meal (again, it's usually 1+ hrs after his run) with some extra protein in it because he's worked pretty hard that day. Depending on the time of day, he may not get another meal until the following morning.

Now that #2 is ready to go into Amateur Gun Dog (etc.) we will probably follow the same formula.

FWIW,
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:09 am

SubMariner wrote:We also didn't feed our #1 GSP the morning of a hunt or field work, but found that he tended to munch the bird or be reluctant to bring it back.
Sounds to me more like a lack of training rather than a full tummy. :?:

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:12 pm

Del Lolo wrote:
SubMariner wrote:We also didn't feed our #1 GSP the morning of a hunt or field work, but found that he tended to munch the bird or be reluctant to bring it back.
Sounds to me more like a lack of training rather than a full tummy. :?:
Sorry, but you are off base here. He is an AFC working towards FC as well as a MH and CDX in obedience. It was in fact because he was hungry; after switching to the "mini-meal" program the problem no longer presented itself.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!