Eyes

SD44

Eyes

Post by SD44 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:04 am

My oldest male GSP has started getting a lot of drainage from his eyes like 'sleep eye" but it seems to reoccur through out the day. I clean it out of his eyes and
an hour later or so it is back and then I repeat the process. Does anyone know if it is an infection or if maybe he has something in his eyes to be causing this? It seems to be in one eye more than the other. Any advice would be helpful.

Cheers,
SD
Cheers,
SD

drcrabbs

Re: Eyes

Post by drcrabbs » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:52 am

He probably has clogged tear ducts - not a big deal for your vet to flush them out.

Dean

Meller

Post by Meller » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:11 am

Are you using an eye wash ? if not that will help but use it when not needed also( every now and then).

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:13 am

Meller wrote:Are you using an eye wash ? if not that will help but use it when not needed also( every now and then).
I have been using a homemade eyewash of one pint distilled water and 1/4 baking teaspoon of pharma grade boric acid for years and I rarely if ever have eye discharge. There is an herb called Golden Seal that is excellent for eye care as well.

I keep the boric acid on hand for mixing ear cleaner as well.

Check the dogs ears and upper teeth and gums for infection too.
Last edited by MonsterDad on Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:14 am

Is the discharge clear mucoid, or yellow/green pus looking? Are the sclera clear or have many small red blood vessels? Is the conjunctiva inflamed? Does the dog look squinty- or blinky-eyed?

First, check for a grass seed or other foreign body. Look way back under both top and bottom lid, as well as the nictating membrane. If something is in there, you might be able to extract it by twirling a tissue into a point, and touching the fb with the pointy end; a lot of times the seed or whatever will stick to the tissue and come right out. Sometimes an eyewash will dislodge it. I use Vetericyn spray as an eyewash with good results.

I might use the Walmart brand of triple antibiotic ointment in the eye. It's very important to use the petroleum jelly-based Ointment ( never the cream!) without any kind of cortisone added, so read the label.

If you dog is kind of squinty and you don't see any seeds or anything in there, you may want to have him checked out by your vet who can look for corneal abrasions. Those can be trouble if you do the wrong thing with them, and I wouldn't mess with home remedies if I suspected one.

One of my dogs has had a clear discharge at certain times of the year for his whole life. His eyes have been thoroughly checked out by our vet, who has concluded that it's an allergic reaction like hay fever. We just keep wiping, nothing much else to do.

SD44

Post by SD44 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:39 am

The discharge appears to have a slight tint of yellow but otherwise it doesn't seem to have a lot of color to it. Other than the discharge his eyes look great. We have been training a great deal these last 5-6 weeks getting ready for the upcoming season. I appreciate all the advice everyone has provided. I will check his eyes for a seed or anything else. I will post another reply once I figure it out. Thanks again for all the replies.
Cheers,
SD

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:07 pm

"Slight tint of yellow" can mean an infection. Eyewash then won't solve the problem ; you may need an antibiotic. Vet?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

SD44

Post by SD44 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:45 pm

Couldn't find anything in his eyes. Looks like a trip to the Vet. Thanks again for everyone's help. Much appreciated.
Cheers,
SD

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:31 pm

With the pollen count very high lately, mine get a slight yellow discharge. All. But its not coming back that quickly just sort of daily. They do it every year at this time of year.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:47 pm

I took one of mine in twice in August to the vet, for vaccinations/etc, and had him look at her eyes each time...for a slight yellow discharge. Each time he said her eyes looked great and he thinks it's a seasonal allergy. I did go out on a whim and buy Vetericyn, and it seemed like it lessened immediately, but that could be conincidence. We haven't gotten rain here in over a month also, and all the timber vegetation, is coated in gravel road dust. That may be part of the problem, or even all of the problem, since she's the only one that likes to bust through the timber every day.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:35 am

mountaindogs wrote:With the pollen count very high lately, mine get a slight yellow discharge. All. But its not coming back that quickly just sort of daily. They do it every year at this time of year.
Our older GSP has seasonal allergies, and gets either clear or slightly discoloured discharge. He also gets a "reverse sneeze"/post nasal drip cough kind of thing. So at this time of the year we usually given him antihistamines. Generic Benadryl used to work, but now we give him generic Allegra (fexofenadine).

With the return of cooler weather, this problem usually disappears.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

SD44

Post by SD44 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:42 am

We haven't had rain here in a couple of weeks. It has been hot dry and dusty. We did notice him sneezing here lately. Trying to get a vet appt now for him just to be on the safe side. Thanks for everyone's advice.
Cheers,
SD

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:16 am

mountaindogs wrote:With the pollen count very high lately, mine get a slight yellow discharge. All. But its not coming back that quickly just sort of daily. They do it every year at this time of year.
Very interesting. Thanks.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

SD44

Post by SD44 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:11 am

Turns out it is an allergy. Gave me some eye drops and this morning the right eye was completely cleared up. The left eye had a little gunk in it but not anywhere near what it was. The vet said it may take a day or two to completely clear up. I want to thank everyone for all the advice. I appreciate the help and being able to learn from others on this forum.
Cheers,
SD

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:06 pm

Glad it worked out for you. :!:

I just picked up one of my setters who is fighting a corneal ulcer that will not heal.
Today, they scratched the cornea area to break up any scar tissue and allow the layers to connect and to convince the body there is an acute problem....now, another week of a serum made from his blood will be eye-dropped twice daily.
Corneal ulcers do not always arise from scratches....watch any eye discharge carefully.

SD44

Post by SD44 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:00 pm

Thanks for the info Mountaineer. I will watch mine more closely. Hope your dogs eyes heal up quickly.
Cheers,
SD