Iverhart Plus Recall -- what are you using instead?

SubMariner

Iverhart Plus Recall -- what are you using instead?

Post by SubMariner » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:45 pm

We've been using the Iverhart Plus (ivermectin & pyrantel), but due to the recent recall, it's not available right now.

What are people using for heartworm prevention? I know many of you with kennels & a lot of dogs use injectable ivermectin, but we really don't want to get into that whole process. We like the ease of one pill a month -- no muss or fuss.

BTW, for fleas/tick/mosquitoes we use K9 Advantix II as we like having separate delivery systems. (In case of a reaction, it would be easier to figure out which one was responsible.)

Thanks,
Last edited by SubMariner on Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

kumate

Re: Iverhart Plus Recall -- what are you using instead?

Post by kumate » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:58 pm

Hi, I have been using inject ivomec oraly and never had a issue. 1/10 cc per 10lbs of body wt per month. Nothing to it, put it on alittle bread with maybe a blob of peanut butter if needed and there ya go. The 50ml bottle usually goes out of date before I use it

Jerry

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:09 pm

For $4 you can buy a tube of Durvet Apple 1.87% Ivermectin Paste. It has 25 "bleep" on the plunger. Each click is 4,000 micrograms, which is 4/10th cc of liquid ivermectin.

You could give your shorthairs one click, once a month and it would be a bit less than what people give in liquid.

steamer

Post by steamer » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:55 pm

has there been a new recall? I saw one in april and one in june. it seemed like just a few lots and not all of the products.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:48 am

steamer wrote:has there been a new recall? I saw one in april and one in june. it seemed like just a few lots and not all of the products.
Yes, it is a few lots & we have one of them.

http://www.aahanet.org/blog/newstat/pos ... ables.aspx
=SubMariner=

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:57 am

Thanks for the suggestions. So far people are talking about the straight ivermectic. Are there similar ones with both the ivermectin & the pyrantel?

Thanks,
=SubMariner=

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:29 am

Oh sure. Durvet sells both an ivermectin and pyrantel paste but I have never thought to use the latter. I am sure you could figure it out or I know many that use Safeguard for goats for intestinal worms.

steamer

Post by steamer » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:17 am

submariner thanks for the link. i recently switched from revolution to frontline and iverheart. i dont have any of the affected lots. have you checked into the name brand stuff. i think its called heart gaurd?

kumate

Post by kumate » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:18 am

I have used the 10% fenbendazole dewormer, Safeguard for worming in between for years also. It is the exact same product as Panacur for dogs. As with the ivermectin it will probably go out of date before you use it all. I think I paid right at 100 for a quart. I like the liquid products

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:53 am

steamer wrote:submariner thanks for the link. i recently switched from revolution to frontline and iverheart. i dont have any of the affected lots. have you checked into the name brand stuff. i think its called heart gaurd?
Yes, we used to use Heartguard plus before we found the iverhart plus, which is much less expensive than the "name brand" Heatguard.
=SubMariner=

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:57 am

kumate wrote:I have used the 10% fenbendazole dewormer, Safeguard for worming in between for years also. It is the exact same product as Panacur for dogs. As with the ivermectin it will probably go out of date before you use it all. I think I paid right at 100 for a quart. I like the liquid products
We have also been de-worming with Safeguard for goats, with very good results.

Not to sidetrack the discussion, but safeguard is also excellent against giardia: http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/health/ ... prevention.
=SubMariner=

kumate

Post by kumate » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:04 pm

Lots of good info there

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:44 pm

This what I use for my dog, I lay it on the tongue. My vet told me the recommended monthly dosage and a few times a year crank it up a bit higher. This is about a 5 year supply for my dog.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/i ... wine-50-ml
A good bird dog is always the right color

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:57 pm

claybuster_aa wrote:This what I use for my dog, I lay it on the tongue. My vet told me the recommended monthly dosage and a few times a year crank it up a bit higher. This is about a 5 year supply for my dog.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/i ... wine-50-ml
After talking with a breeder friend or two we were looking at this as well. The thing is we would also like to get some pyrantel pamoate so that the result would more closely resemble what the iverhart plus has in it as this has been quite effective (e.g: if it ain't broke, don't fix it!). A liquid version of that seems to be a little harder to come by...
=SubMariner=