Diagnosing UTI at Emergency Vet with needle

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Diagnosing UTI at Emergency Vet with needle

Post by wems2371 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:59 pm

Eight days after one of my female pups went home, her new owners got concerned about a urinary tract infection. She was acting fine, but squatting a lot, and having accidents that she hadn't prior. It was yesterday, so they took her to an Emergency after hours clinic, that is not their normal vet. They did not come up with anything definitive. She had a good temp, normal behavior and all...just the peeing thing. They sent her home with 7 days of Clavamox as a prophylactic treatment, just in case. It's only been 24 hours since. She looks fine, and is described as being a little pizz head :lol: , but is still hardly peeing anything. I guess that's to be expected, to give it time.

What did surprise me, in messaging with the gal tonite, is that she said they stuck a needle through her tummy to get a sample. She had described it earlier on FB as a "full bladder sample". Is that normal procedure? My vet has always just had me bring in a small sample of urine that pups have peed, even if it's a teaspoon, and tested from that.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Re: Diagnosing UTI at Emergency Vet with needle

Post by wems2371 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:11 pm

I just thought to ask on a Canine Fertility group I'm in on FB, and it appears I'm just out of the loop, and this is normal. I'll leave this up though, if anyone wants to add to the conversation.

Peter

Post by Peter » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:13 pm

Nothing to be worried about. It is my preferred way to collect urine. I do it at the same time as ultrasoumding the bladder to see how inflamed it is and look for stones. It also is the the preferred way to get a uncontaminated sample for a urine culture and senstivity test.

Peter

zia

Post by zia » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:20 am

It's called a cystocentesis, that way you can get a sterile urine sample directly from the bladder so it's not contaminated with cells from the lower urinary tract or a container. You can submit that sample for culture/sensivity and urinalysis knowing its a truer picture of the bladder environment.