Natura Dog Food Recall

SubMariner

Natura Dog Food Recall

Post by SubMariner » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:12 pm

Natura has issued a voluntary recall for some of their animal feeds. More can be seen here: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm344421.htm

Also on the Natura website itself: http://www.naturapet.com/recall
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

MonsterDad

Re: Natura Dog Food Recall

Post by MonsterDad » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:41 pm

Natura has expanded the recall to include all foods expiring prior to and including April 24, 2014, so that is probably everything recently sold and on the shelves.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:10 pm

Unless it was made last week, it's outta here. I am so tired of the Natura recalls I can't see straight. I am trying my best to get people committed to other brands. I hope I can drop it.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:18 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Unless it was made last week, it's outta here. I am so tired of the Natura recalls I can't see straight. I am trying my best to get people committed to other brands. I hope I can drop it.
You should pick up Annamaet...good diversified line of traditional foods, a great 32/20 and interesting grain-free foods, including a red meat formula. Good supplements as well.

NJGriffNut

Post by NJGriffNut » Mon May 13, 2013 8:32 pm

^ I've talked with Robert Downey the founder and creator of Annamaet at length several times. My wirehaired pointing griffon was on Annamaet Aqualuk from October this past year, through February during the hunting season as I could not conceivably continue on an all raw diet, which is what they eat during the off season. I work in the pet food industry, and know all to well the pit falls of kibble and manufacturers. Talking with Robert and I was very relieved to start feeding it.

I also recommended bringing it into our stores, and our customers are loving it. I have yet to get a single bag returned, and we have a liberal return policy including refusal to eat. That is a long stretch (Nov-May) where of all of the bags purchased, not one complaint or returned.

Are there other good foods out there? Certainly. I"m currently feeding Annamaet Lean and Raw, and will ween off of the Lean in June and then feed all raw until next October.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Tue May 14, 2013 4:02 am

NJGriffNut wrote:^ I've talked with Robert Downey the founder and creator of Annamaet at length several times. My wirehaired pointing griffon was on Annamaet Aqualuk from October this past year, through February during the hunting season as I could not conceivably continue on an all raw diet, which is what they eat during the off season. I work in the pet food industry, and know all to well the pit falls of kibble and manufacturers. Talking with Robert and I was very relieved to start feeding it.

I also recommended bringing it into our stores, and our customers are loving it. I have yet to get a single bag returned, and we have a liberal return policy including refusal to eat. That is a long stretch (Nov-May) where of all of the bags purchased, not one complaint or returned.

Are there other good foods out there? Certainly. I"m currently feeding Annamaet Lean and Raw, and will ween off of the Lean in June and then feed all raw until next October.
What stores? Cherrybrook?

NJGriffNut

Post by NJGriffNut » Tue May 14, 2013 6:29 am

MonsterDad- yes at Cherrybrook. We carry their entire line up of foods and supplements.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:51 pm

Well Natura announced another recall, and it only took two months from when the FDA tested the food positive for the announcement.

Two months???

Nationwide for all foods out to June 2014.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:05 pm

MonsterDad wrote:Well Natura announced another recall, and it only took two months from when the FDA tested the food positive for the announcement.

Two months???

What do they mean "out to 2014"? What was the feed tested positive for? That makes a difference on a recall.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:32 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
MonsterDad wrote:Well Natura announced another recall, and it only took two months from when the FDA tested the food positive for the announcement.

Two months???

What do they mean "out to 2014"? What was the feed tested positive for? That makes a difference on a recall.

Ezzy

Food expiring on or before June 2014, which is everything on the shelves. They just cleared the shelves nationwide two months ago for a recall.

Evidently Salmonella again, but they didn't name the strain this time. Possible its one of the nasty, antibiotic resistant strains?

The people at P&G have to be livid. The track record of this company before the P&G deal was perfect.

This food is sold everywhere. Mom and Pop stores, big box stores, etc. and it covers all the food on shelves.

http://www.naturapet.com/recall

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:30 pm

I have never seen dog food with over a year shelf life is what threw me since in my experience they work off of the date manufactured and not a shelf life date since the food is not required to have a printed shelf life that I know of. Are you sure this is a different recall and not the same one announced a few weeks ago? Either way it isn't good but these things happen. If it is just salmonella it will probably cause no more than a few minor problems. Lets hope that is all it is.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:05 am

ezzy333 wrote:I have never seen dog food with over a year shelf life is what threw me since in my experience they work off of the date manufactured and not a shelf life date since the food is not required to have a printed shelf life that I know of. Are you sure this is a different recall and not the same one announced a few weeks ago? Either way it isn't good but these things happen. If it is just salmonella it will probably cause no more than a few minor problems. Lets hope that is all it is.

Ezzy
yes it is the second recall for the company this year

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:03 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I have never seen dog food with over a year shelf life is what threw me since in my experience they work off of the date manufactured and not a shelf life date since the food is not required to have a printed shelf life that I know of. Are you sure this is a different recall and not the same one announced a few weeks ago? Either way it isn't good but these things happen. If it is just salmonella it will probably cause no more than a few minor problems. Lets hope that is all it is.

Ezzy
The "problem" isn't so much the reason that the food has been recalled, but the fact that for the second time in less than six months this food is not available. Since there is no indication as to when it will be back in stores and we had less than a month's worth left, we had no choice but to start looking for something else.

Ultimately we found one that had similar amounts of protein and fat and almost the same number of calories per cup. Yesterday we started phasing it in...

Will we go back to EVO? Probably... the dogs do really well on the Turkey/Chicken kibble. We only hope they do well on what we have them on in the meantime.

FWIW,
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!