Oleander poisonus to dogs

magspa

Oleander poisonus to dogs

Post by magspa » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:15 am

I was considering planting this shrub all around my fence for looks and shade for the dogs. But I now know that it is poisonus to most mammals. I heard it will make their sugar spike. So do you think they would get the point after trying it and realizing it made them sick? Any suggestions for other similar shrubs that will grow at least 6 feet and can tolerate south TX? thanks

Doc E

Re: Oleander poisonus to dogs

Post by Doc E » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:50 am

magspa wrote: So do you think they would get the point after trying it and realizing it made them sick?

Sure ---- Just like they learn that Skunks make them stinky and sick --- or that Porcupines stick 'em full of needles.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

Munster

Post by Munster » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:50 pm

When I was a kid living in NM we had a Oliander plant. I picked the flowers for my aunt and placed them on a table. Hot day the plant got knocked over and my dog drank some of the water. She was dead the next morning. Now, I was to young to give you much more details. But that is enough to convince me that I wouldn't plant ANYTHING that could possibly kill a dog.
Seems like a no brainer to me
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

Peter

Post by Peter » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:24 pm

Oleander is a fairly toxic plant. It interferes with the electrolyte balance within the heart muscles. I wouldn't recommend planting it where your dogs would be in constant contact with the plant.

http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/oleander/

Peter